INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do not play silence" is too aggressive in defining silence  (Read 1454 times)

theloniouscoltrane

• Recent member
Do not play silence" is too aggressive in defining silence
« on: November 26, 2013, 04:50:41 pm »

Hi everyone,

I'm still new here. Under "Playback Options" I wanted to find out why, when I select "Do not play silence" MC19 acts so aggressively in defining silence. In other words, it cuts the music off when it gets to about -30dB. Can I change this? I would be much happier with -60 or -70. In the radio business, we defined songs as having cold endings or fade endings. We would want the fade endings to work like MC19 does, but the cold endings, we would want to let them fade a little to get the drama that a cold ending brings. I seem to have too many songs with cold endings, because what I really want is the "Do not play silence" function, but to have it kick in at a lower level. And using the aggressive cross fade does not work either. I really do want to use the "do not play silence," I just want some control over how MC19 defines "silence.

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Do not play silence" is too aggressive in defining silence
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:05:18 pm »

Sorry, but it's not currently configurable.

The value was picked by tuning real-world tracks to be a little above the normal noise floor on a standard recording.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 05:55:43 pm »

In the radio business, we defined songs as having cold endings or fade endings. We would want the fade endings to work like MC19 does, but the cold endings, we would want to let them fade a little to get the drama that a cold ending brings. I seem to have too many songs with cold endings, because what I really want is the "Do not play silence" function, but to have it kick in at a lower level. And using the aggressive cross fade does not work either. I really do want to use the "do not play silence," I just want some control over how MC19 defines "silence.

I really just want cold endings to work period. I cannot seem to find any fade settings that give me the same kinda feel as I brought to board back in my broadcast days. It would be awesome to be able to use a tag or some mechanism to allow MC to "know" a cold ending is coming up and to deal with it appropriately - same for a nice crossfade.

I current have mine at Crossfade (aggressive) 1s but it still can't properly navigate a typical playlist without driving a fading song into nothingness when the next track starts. Making the crossfade longer simply creates a larger "hole" when tracks with cold endings come along....

Maybe someday....

VP

theloniouscoltrane

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:59:26 am »

Sorry, but it's not currently configurable.

The value was picked by tuning real-world tracks to be a little above the normal noise floor on a standard recording.

Digital recordings have a noise floor so low that the ambient noise in the recording studio is louder, so I'm confused how these crossfades (which is really what happens when you tick get rid of silence) which clearly clip off the ends of songs occur at the ambient noise floor. Recording studios are pretty quiet places.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 10:52:45 pm »

I can't get any crossfades or silence removal to burn to CD for friend's birthday mixes. Anyone do any burning with the most recent build?

Pages: [1]   Go Up