INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD menus not working in Windows 8.1  (Read 1517 times)

dorsetjon

• Recent member
DVD menus not working in Windows 8.1
« on: November 19, 2013, 05:23:07 pm »

Hi,

I am testing DVDs with MC for the first time today (in Theatre View, displayed on my TV) and with mixed results. One frequent issue is that the DVD menus don't work. When the menus appear, there is no selected / default menu item and the arrow keys on my MCE remote have no effect. That is, they do not move the menu selection (presumably because there isn't one to start with) and they don't caused anything to become selected. This happens on my Windows 8.1 PC but not with the same DVDs on Windows 7. Also, if I move the mouse over the menu item then it doesn't become selected as it does in Windows 7. The only way to access a menu is to click on it with the mouse, but that isn't ideal when using the TV + MCE remote. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

Jon

dorsetjon

• Recent member
Re: DVD menus not working in Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:12:09 am »

Hi,

Is there any chance of a fix for this?

Thanks,

Jon

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:21:21 am »

Please read one of the other threads about this problem.

Do  you have WMP installed?

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 04:00:34 pm »

I have searched but can't find any other threads about this so can you point me in the right direction please? I can find threads about a different problem with menus in Windows 8.1 but nothing about the menus within DVDs not working.

Windows Media Player is listed as installed so I turned that off and re-tested but the problem still occurs.

Jon

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 05:00:31 pm »

I don't know where it was, but look at the first three or four pages of this board. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 05:03:42 pm »

Does toggling the Red October mode in Options > Video help?

Does reducing buffering in Options > Audio > Device settings... help?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:24:50 am »

Jim -> I have looked through the first few pages of the board and made extensive searches and can only find posts about Win+X menus being broken in Win8.1 and something about Shell Extensions. But there's nothing I can find about menus within DVDs.

Matt -> Unfortunately neither of the things you suggested made any difference.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing. In Chariots of Fire the following menu is presented when the DVD loads:

Play
Chapter Selection
Language Selection

If I play this in my DVD player or in MC on Windows 7 then "Play" is highlighted red (the other entries are white) and using the up/down arrow keys moves the selection. Additionally, in MC on Windows 7 if I move the mouse over the entries that are not selected then they turn red while the mouse hovers over the entry. However, with MC in Windows 8.1 none of the entries is selected and neither using the arrow keys nor the mouse causes any of them to turn red. So a menu can't be selected and used unless I directly click on it with the mouse.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 06:29:33 am »

Matt -> Unfortunately neither of the things you suggested made any difference.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure.

I tested a couple DVDs here on Windows 8.1, and the menus are working nicely.

It might be interesting to make a copy of the DVD on a local drive (C:\) just to see if that makes a difference.  The Microsoft DVD Navigator (the thing that parses DVD files) has a few issues with certain NAS drives.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:10:13 am »

I remember hearing something about the DVD Navigator on 8 and 8.1 generally having issues with anything non-local. Even drives using Microsofts "Storage Spaces" are known to break it.
Sadly DVD playback is very closely tied to Microsofts DVD Navigator, which means a lot of it is not within our power to fix, sadly.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up