INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airplay and channel inversion? Problem from French forum  (Read 4713 times)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Airplay and channel inversion? Problem from French forum
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:53:41 am »

Hi Mac users,

Just trying to help out a new french forum member, Olive. As I don't have a clue about using Airplay or MACs  I was hoping someone could help out and I'll translate back your replies for him

Basically, he has found that when running MC Mac via Airplay he has a playback issue that is switching his left and right channels on playback. This is not the case when he is using headphones. He has checked this using Audionirvana and DS-Audio (a Synology app I think?), and there is no inversion on playback.

I told him to reverse the polarity through DSP studio and this has had no effect.

Can anyone steer him in the right direction? A little check list maybe

thanks all

Quote from: Olive
Bonjour,
Je viens d'installer JRiver sur un mac et quelque soit le morceau que je joue par Airplay (mais pas au casque) les canaux droite et gauche sont inversés.  Embarrassed
J'ai vérifié les branchements de mon système audio et tout est ok.
Pas de problème en lisant avec DS-Audio ou Audirvana.

J'ai cherché dans toutes les options mais impossible de trouver la fonction adéquate.

Un grand merci d'avance pour votre aide.  Wink
Olive

Arindelle

Re: Airplay and channel inversion? Problem from French forum
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:30:04 am »

anybody on a mac using airplay returning from Turkey Day celebrations to help Olive out?

(I could have just said bump but hey, I'm trying to use guilt as a motivation  ;D )

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 08:02:20 am »

My trial seems to have expired, so I cannot test airplay streaming from my mac, but you should be able to fix it using the Parametric EQ to swap the left and right channels.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:02:57 am »

thanks 623...

Does seem more of a band-aid fix though

-- if his set up is ok in two external players - there must be a config issue that should be changed I think.

have to wait a bit for a mac license holder to show up, but thank you for replying again

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 01:05:26 pm »

Génial, ça marche le coup de l'equalizeur paramétrique avec inversion gauche-droite.  8)
Un grand merci  :D

Another Happy Camper  :) 6233638 to the rescue. Big thx to you from Olive

BTW -- is this a bug? why should one have to fix this in PEQ if the audio playback is normal in other players ?

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 11:50:50 am »

Not sure why the channels would be swapped through Airplay, I don't have one here to test with.
Any other Airplay data points out there?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 02:35:09 pm »

I've had a chance to test this now, and I'm definitely not seeing channel inversion when playing to an AirPlay device via Media Center.

This is sending music from a Mac running 10.9 to an original AirPort Express via the CoreAudio AirPlay option in Media Center.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 05:03:19 am »

Thanks ... where is this option? I can't find it in my PC version

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 05:32:58 am »

Thanks ... where is this option? I can't find it in my PC version
CoreAudio is the OS X audio engine (equivalent to WASAPI on Windows) and it has native AirPlay support built in because it's an Apple technology. Windows does not have any support for AirPlay built in, and neither does Media Center.

The best solution I have found to work around this limitation is Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil, but it's not the most elegant solution.
As far as I know, you cannot send separate streams to multiple AirPlay devices - just one audio stream to any number of devices.
If you want to send audio to an AirPlay device as a Zone in Media Center, you either need to be content with sending all system audio to the device, or doing some manual setup each time you launch the application. (it changes the default audio device to their driver)
It will also retain connections to the AirPlay receiver even if there's no audio being transmitted, which prevents other devices (e.g. iPods or iPhones) sending audio to it until you manually disable Airfoil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up