INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a distinct difference in sound quality between MC19 decoder and external decoder  (Read 2242 times)

daviddlch

• Recent member

Just got an e28 exaSound DAC and listened to it attentively for a couple of weeks already.

I like multi ch live concert music. So I listen to the audio stream of a video file with DD/DTS/TrueHD/DTS-HD audio encoded.

I configure MC19 into two modes.
Mode 1. Bitstream file to Yamaha A3020 for decoding and DAC playback. (HDMI from MC19 to Yamaha)
Mode 2. MC19 decodes file and e28 does the DAC. (USB from MC19 to e28. Analogue path from e28 to Yamaha)

I noticed the sound quality from these two modes have distinct differences.

Mode 1. rougher edges but better imaging

Mode 2. smoother but lack definition.

The sound differences are very similar to the sound differences between DSD (mode1) and PCM (mode 2).

I wonder if it is the software decoder (MC19) and hardware decoder (Yamaha) that account for the differences in quality.

Personally I prefer the Yamaha decoding.

Anyone like to comment on these differences ??

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

I think it varies if a receiver enables processing like speaker distance correction, levels, bass management, etc. when doing analog input. 

This could account for a big difference in sound.

It's possible to do a lot of this same type of correction in MC if you're interested.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

daviddlch

• Recent member

I did not do any DSP processing in Yamaha and MC19. But I can still hear the differences between them.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

I did not do any DSP processing in Yamaha and MC19. But I can still hear the differences between them.

A few thoughts:

Some receivers do processing in sneaky ways.  Have you tried enabling the Yamaha's "Pure Direct" mode (which disables most processing)? 

Also, do you know if the Yamaha passes analog input straight through, or converts it to digital and then back to analog?  Some receivers only have a digital volume, so they automatically convert all incoming analog to digital and then back again at the outputs, which introduces another two conversion stages into the audio and could potentially affect the sound.

Also the Yamaha DAC and the Exasound are different DACs, and different DACs can sound pretty different. 

crisnee

• World Citizen

There are so many differences in the audio paths that I can't see how you can pin them on any one thing without doing some serious experimenting. And I'm not sure you can do those experiments well enough with what you have. Some possible issues.

Usb vs. hdmi
Yamaha vs e28 dac
partial analog path vs. all digital
MC decoding vs. Yamaha decoding
Volume control (even very slight volume differences will usually favor the louder option)
Differences in cables and types.

-Chris

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Also, unintentional listening bias.  Human brains are complex beasts, and hearing is much more brain driven than mechanical.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

daviddlch

• Recent member

A few thoughts:

Some receivers do processing in sneaky ways.  Have you tried enabling the Yamaha's "Pure Direct" mode (which disables most processing)? 

Also, do you know if the Yamaha passes analog input straight through, or converts it to digital and then back to analog?  Some receivers only have a digital volume, so they automatically convert all incoming analog to digital and then back again at the outputs, which introduces another two conversion stages into the audio and could potentially affect the sound.

Also the Yamaha DAC and the Exasound are different DACs, and different DACs can sound pretty different. 

Yeap, I have tried turning on "Pure Direct"

I was told that the newer Yamaha receiver has no ADC for analogue multi ch inputs. Its too costly to have multiple(8 or more) ADCs. Besides, HDMI connection enables PCM processing.

You are right about the two different DACs at work and possibly deliver the differences in sound quality.

There are so many differences in the audio paths that I can't see how you can pin them on any one thing without doing some serious experimenting. And I'm not sure you can do those experiments well enough with what you have. Some possible issues.

Usb vs. hdmi
Yamaha vs e28 dac
partial analog path vs. all digital
MC decoding vs. Yamaha decoding
Volume control (even very slight volume differences will usually favor the louder option)
Differences in cables and types.

-Chris

Totally agreeable. These differences can definitely affect the outcome.

Anyway I was hopeful that someone may have gone thru' a series of test to come out with the answer. A good standalone decoder may assist in this case to dig in deeper for an answer. The decoder will have to sit in between MC19 and e28. I doubt such equipment is commercially available!

Also, unintentional listening bias.  Human brains are complex beasts, and hearing is much more brain driven than mechanical.

Haha, this is complex... Perception of sound (Music) is extremely subjective.
Pages: [1]   Go Up