INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: emotiva xda-2 dac incompatibility over usb  (Read 9863 times)

gap

emotiva xda-2 dac incompatibility over usb
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:21:41 am »

Hi!
I am in a bind. I just purchased an Emotiva XDA-2 dac to hook-up to my windows 7 computer via usb. I get no playback from MC 18 (version 18.0.212), when I try to playback I get an error message saying that it could not start on the WASAPI output using 44.1 kHz 16 bit 2ch (see attached log file).
I have used MC for a few years and am quite familiar with the settings for output, etc...
This happens when I set the playback device on my computer and to USB 2.0 high speed true HD audio. If I use my Realtek computer audio card to output to spdif and link the card to the Emotiva dac via optical cable everything works right. If I use Direct Sound instead of Wasapi the usb connection works well.
In MC's DSP Studio nothing is checked (no audio modification for bit perfect palyback).
 Help

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
Re: emotiva xda-2 dac incompatibility over usb
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:28:11 am »

Hi, do you have the most recent XDA-2 Driver from Emotiva  :)

gap

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:32:03 pm »

Hi!
Yes I have installed this multi windows driver and yes it installed the proper windows 7 driver (version 7.0.11.80).
Thanks

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 12:30:48 am »

Are you able to get sound from other apps in windows?  Can you see it from the system volume control settings?

gap

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:43:17 pm »

Hi!
Yes I get windows media player to play properly thru the usb to the Emotiva.
With Media Center I can get it to work if i do direct sound but not thru Wasapi.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:56:08 pm »

Quickly looked at your logs -- lots of USB devices. Can't see your preamp though, but that doesn't mean anything  ;) And yes WASAPI is crashing on playback

A windows config issue with their drivers, maybe ? Jumped on their site and saw this http://emotiva.com/resources/media/xda2/How_to_rename_the_XDA-2_USB_device_driver.pdf which I find pretty strange.

The drivers load a device name SPDIF for a USB driver. Might want to check and even rename like they say and make sure you chose the right device. Also they say it "defaults" to Direct Sound so maybe there is a driver setting in properties advance tab? Just guessing on that one. As it worked via optical and coax its seems logical to me that its not on the  jriver side.

Otherwise in MC, you can try Options=>Audio=>Audio Device=>You should have exclusive access checked already; try checking the disable event style -- I see you have some a nice setup but sometimes certain dacs require this so disregard the older hardware comment.

Lastly on version 18 I had to set my bit depth to 24 instead of automatic -- shouldn't make a difference but doesn't hurt to try. I don't remember if this is on the same device pop-up box or if this is set in DSP studio under output format but you'll find it.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:41:33 pm »

I think over on the Emotiva forums people said that it had something to do with event style working or not working.  Don't remember which, but I think as @Arindelle has mentioned, you just want to play with it on and off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up