- 0 (0%)
Don't need it now but sound useful
- 0 (0%)
Don't add this feature ever, it's not useful
- 1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: December 27, 2013, 10:35:44 am

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Support for Dual Display Switching  (Read 10667 times)

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Support for Dual Display Switching
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:35:44 am »

My latest HTPC setup includes a large HDTV in adjacent room. In the last year, I have found the setup ideal, but the usability poor with MC. The GUI doesn't respond to the default Windows Fast Switching or Snapping behavior, and though I use the HDMI keep alive feature, it doesn't really help. I find myself interrupting my workflow multiple times daily when MC is stuck on the other display, on or off.

I just don't have the control over MC that would take it that extra 10% to 100. I've tried some old apps I used to use like Switcher, but they don't seem to support dual displays very well. Since I'm a Logitech user maybe I will finally look into some mouse shortcuts, but I doubt they will help the main issue which is snapping and moving the MC GUI around.

I also use the Detached Display a ton. This is a very useful feature which could use further development. Being able to independently move the MC GUI and the Detached Display back and forth would be very helpful.

I know there was some discussion of this in the Beta forum, and curious if anyone else would appreciate this feature.

cheers

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Feature Request: Support for Dual Display Switching
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:38:55 pm »

DisplayFusion.

If you run multiple monitors on a Windows machine and you don't have DisplayFusion: You're Doing It Wrong.

You can quite easily assign keyboard shortcuts to move the current application around however you'd like.  I use Control+Alt+L/R Arrows to move to the next/prev monitor.  Works brilliantly.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HiFiTubes

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:44:28 pm »

I have Display Fusion, I didn't know it would work with MC. I will check thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 12:48:50 pm »

Yep.  Works fine (including to move detached displays around).  The toolbar icon it adds doesn't work, but the keyboard shortcuts do.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 12:52:14 pm »

Thanks, do you know why native support is avoided? I assume there is a good reason based on how MC works. Someone told me a bit once, but I have forgotten  :P

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 12:56:06 pm »

Thanks, do you know why native support is avoided? I assume there is a good reason based on how MC works. Someone told me a bit once, but I have forgotten  :P

Because to have the built-in Aero Snapping functionality, you need to use standard the Windows UI controls you'd get from making a new project in Visual Studio and dropping some controls onto a form.  MC does not (at all), which enables all sorts of goodness:

1. OSX and Linux support.
2. Skinning

Among other things.  To support this, they'd need to custom write the whole thing to intercept and emulate the Windows behavior.  That's not impossible, but is a bunch of work.  They did add some things back in (it does do the "snapping" to the sides of the monitor when you drag it around).

HiFiTubes

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 01:01:15 pm »

Thanks, the default shortcut is working, guess just one of those things I gave up on too early. thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up