INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple guide for blu-ray movie playback from blu ray drive...  (Read 1470 times)

Raja

Simple guide for blu-ray movie playback from blu ray drive...
« on: November 15, 2013, 07:52:54 am »

Hi,

Does anyone have straightforward instructions for how to use JRiver to playback blu-ray discs? Looked at the wiki - it appears I would need to purchase AnyDVD first?

-Raja

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Simple guide for blu-ray movie playback from blu ray drive...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 08:14:45 am »

The wiki is correct.  AnyDVD HD or equivalent is required.

Raja

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:25:40 am »

Thanks Jim. I did fear that. Understandable considering it would hike the price of JR to include that as part of the package. I was interested as I'm currently using Dirac with PowerDVD, which works due to the way Dirac intercepts the audio path. Audiolense is a cheaper solution, but works by providing a plugin file for JR to work with - PowerDVD has no such option. Swings and roundabouts for the financial saving I guess.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 10:39:48 am »

You can buy a lifetime anyDVD license. Use it long enough and it will only cost a few dollars a year.  :D I paid $110 and have already used it for almost 4 years.

Dogger Dog

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:59:58 pm »

Yikes. That's expensive. Seems like a stand-alone component BR player would cost less...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:43:02 pm »

Yikes. That's expensive. Seems like a stand-alone component BR player would cost less...

There are shorter term subscriptions that are cheaper, but I know what you mean, it's not cheap.  One thing worth thinking about: AnyDVD does a lot of different things besides making Blu-Rays JRiver-readable.  For example, it gives me access to a lot of foreign films I wouldn't be able to watch otherwise, removes unskippable previews, and does a huge number of other nifty things. 

I initially balked at the price myself, but in retrospect I feel like AnyDVD was a pretty good investment even if I stopped using JRiver tomorrow.  Your mileage may vary, of course, but I'd suggest looking a little harder at what AnyDVD can do before investing in a component player.

Supersnake

• World Citizen
Simple and inexpensive solution Aieesoft Blu-Ray player for $19.95
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 07:05:25 pm »

I came to this thread attempting to find out how to enable my Media Player 19 to play Blu-Ray discs and learned that AnyDVD HD or an equivalent is required.

Actually I already have a Blu-Ray player on my computer (Arc Soft Total Media Theater) and I will remain with that rather then shell out additional money for AnyDVD or an equivalent.

If you want an inexpensive alternative to AnyDVD for playing Blu-Ray,  you can consider Aiessoft's Blu-Ray player.
Normally priced at $39.95, they will be offering it for 50% off on Thanksgiving and the day after using their coupon code: AMED-657Y-THKS.    After that period has expired it will be offered at a lesser discount.

I tried their trial version and it played my Blu-Rays just fine.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 06:06:08 am »

I tried their trial version and it played my Blu-Rays just fine.

@Supersnake I'd like to try this but can't seem to find the trial link, undoubtedly right in front of my nose ... could I ask you for it??

I'm more interested in just playback of normal DVDs but I have a bunch from the US and lots form Europe and can't figure out how to dezone my drive .... it looks like this software allows you to play any format not just blue ray from any zone so looks interesting to me

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 07:13:18 am »

@Supersnake I'd like to try this but can't seem to find the trial link, undoubtedly right in front of my nose ... could I ask you for it??

I'm more interested in just playback of normal DVDs but I have a bunch from the US and lots form Europe and can't figure out how to dezone my drive .... it looks like this software allows you to play any format not just blue ray from any zone so looks interesting to me

Yes, it's not a sub standard player, and it is surprisingly versatile.  The 50% discount ended but I will PM you the link to where you can download it for $26.75 (now it reads normally $35.00) for the next 3 days.  No discount code will be needed.

I had previously posted the link to the trial version but the forum client altered the URL and marked it up as spam.
If you want to download the trial version per se then Google "aieesoft blu-ray player trial version" and it will probably be seen in the first hit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up