INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo: Port forwarding for several laptops?  (Read 5106 times)

Al ex

• Citizen of the Universe
Gizmo: Port forwarding for several laptops?
« on: December 02, 2013, 03:08:36 pm »

Hi I would like to use Gizmo in combination with all my three computers.

Therefore, I need to make port forwarding 52199 on my Asus RT-N56U router. After asigning static IPs to all 3 computers, I can successfully setup the first port forwarding.

However, I cannot do the same for the next computer with a different static IP but same port, as it says "This entry has been in the list"

Any idea, how I can make port forwarding for the same port but several static IPs?

There is another option on my router, called "Port Triggering", but no success.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gizmo: Port forwarding for several laptops?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:54:44 pm »

If you're using Gizmo from outside your LAN, I don't think you can set it up to access three servers.

Al ex

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 03:04:45 am »

If you're using Gizmo from outside your LAN, I don't think you can set it up to access three servers.

OK I see. Well, if there is no way, I will live with it. It just would be nice to be able to remote control my library from several computers with Gizmo. I am not planning to remote control all three computers at once of course.

I was looking once more into the settings of my router - a note, which I found under "Port Triggering":
"Port Trigger allows you to temporarily open data ports when LAN devices require unrestricted access to the Internet. There are two methods for opening incoming data ports: port forwarding and port trigger. Port forwarding opens the specified data ports all the time and devices must use static IP addresses. Port trigger only opens the incoming port when a LAN device requests access to the trigger port. Unlike port forwarding, port trigger does not require static IP addresses for LAN devices. Port forwarding allows multiple devices to share a single open port and port trigger only allows one client at a time to access the open port."

--> So that tells me, it should actually be possible to setup three different static IPs for port forwarding? Thatīs what I am reading here. What am I missing?

Attached also two screenshot of the settings:
Port Triggering
Port Forwarding

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 03:06:58 am »

You could just set the Media Network on the different computers to different ports. That should work.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 03:15:21 am »

Port forwarding allows multiple devices to share a single open port and port trigger only allows one client at a time to access the open port."

--> So that tells me, it should actually be possible to setup three different static IPs for port forwarding? Thatīs what I am reading here. What am I missing?

It allows multiple clients to access 1 server behind the forward. So 1 port goes to 1 server, multiple clients can access the same server on the same port.

Think of a webserver on port 80. Multiple people can access web pages on a single server.

If you want to host multiple servers, you need to configure each server on its own port as Hendrik pointed out and forward each unique port number to the correct server.

Al ex

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:17:30 am »

You could just set the Media Network on the different computers to different ports. That should work.

Excellent idea! That was the solution - danke Hendrik!
LG, Alex

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 06:23:58 am »

I started to suggest different ports but then thought that the Access Key wouldn't work, but apparently I was wrong.  I'm glad you got it working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up