INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote for Android  (Read 6355 times)

StarVector11

• Recent member
JRemote for Android
« on: December 03, 2013, 11:25:26 pm »

I apologize if this question/request has been addressed before:

In terms of mobile devices - I'm over Apple. It's clear that other companies like Samsung, HTC, and LG are better suited for the delivery of the mobile experience, hands down. In the next 48 hours, I expect to have purchased the Android-based Samsung Galaxy S4.

With that said, might I ask: Why on earth is the best experience in access to the most powerful media management system J River being catered to the low-life, powerless IPHONE? So far, I have not seen any JRemote app available for Android... Am I crazy or have I just not looked hard enough for it?

I do understand that Gizmo is available; but according to user reviews, Gizmo is nothing like JRemote in quality at all, and JRemote is only available to the evil Apple devices as far as I can find. On my iPhone 4S (ready to throw it out my window), I use JRemote literally *every single day*.

MC: Do you intend to develop an equivalent JRemote app for Android, or do you plan to leave us hanging? I've already invested in the JRemote, and I'm about to lose that investment once I leave Apple since Apple is both evil and feature-less (and annoying, post-iOS7 "downgrade").

I love MC and push it on people like it's my religion - it would be nice to see JRemote support on platforms for **power users** (Android).

Thank you in advance for being both honest and awesome.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote for Android
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:48:54 am »

Gizmo is a good solution.  Apparently you haven't tried it.

StarVector11

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 01:09:06 am »

I'm not trying to knock Gizmo. My only experience with Gizmo was via web app when I temporarily owned an Android phone back in Fall 2011. I love love love JRemote and would totally throw down a wad of cash to keep that experience when I switch back to Android.

And no, I haven't tried it yet because, as stated in the original post, I don't have an Android phone yet. Thus, I read reviews - pointing to a lesser experience than JRemote. So that is why I come here, to get honest feedback straight from my favorite developers. :-)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:57:42 am »

I'm not trying to knock Gizmo. My only experience with Gizmo was via web app when I temporarily owned an Android phone back in Fall 2011.
That sounds like WebGizmo, not Gizmo.  Two different remotes.  Try the wiki if you want to know more.

Realbarcio

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:04:52 am »

Hello, I have been an iPhone user for some years before switching to a galaxy s3, and I was always happy using jremote for iPhone. It's the perfect app to control jriver in a dlna environment. Now I'm using Gizmo for Android but I sadly have to say that there is no comparison at all! JRemote is a lot  more stable, faster, eye catching and easier to use than gizmo.
Since I switched to android JRemote is the only app that I have ever missed!   :'(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 09:30:44 am »

Are you using Gizmo or WebGizmo?  If Gizmo, are you using the latest?

Realbarcio

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 02:47:28 am »

Hello Jim, I 'm using the gizmo android app and I always keep it updated to the newest version!
I think it is a good app, but it lacks in my opinion some useful features that others have.

chf

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:46:17 pm »

I also think that Gizmo (not WebGizmo, Gizmo) pales in comparison to JRemote.

One example is the lack to tag anything, like ratings. It has been asked for a zillion times before and it still is not possible.

I'm using JRemote on the iPad, but the iPad is not always "at hand". My Android phone however is.
It is nice to be able to quickly rate a song you don't want to hear again in Play Doctor, and to be able to do that with my Android phone using Gizmo would be perfect.

I would gladly pay for an Android app with the same functionalities as JRemote on iOS, but there simply is nothing (I haven't found anything at least).

/Charles

David R. Williams

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 11:05:59 am »

+1.

Completely agree, and couldn't have said it better.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 11:19:17 am »

One example is the lack to tag anything, like ratings. It has been asked for a zillion times before and it still is not possible.

[...]
It is nice to be able to quickly rate a song you don't want to hear again in Play Doctor, and to be able to do that with my Android phone using Gizmo would be perfect.

In case you've missed it, Gizmo can now change ratings from the playing now screen:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87063.0

Its not available in the Play Store yet, but it should be "Soon"
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

chf

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 12:28:31 pm »

In case you've missed it, Gizmo can now change ratings from the playing now screen:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87063.0

Its not available in the Play Store yet, but it should be "Soon"

Just saw the update in the Play Store. Great news that rating now works! :-)
A big thank you to the devs!
Cheers,
Charles

David R. Williams

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 06:30:27 pm »

Can we please please have longer artist, album and track name fields available in Gizmo for classical?

An example of each which can't fit on any Gizmo screen at this point, don't scroll, and mean that Gizmo is really tough to use for classical music are: 

Album:  "Bach: Sonata #2 in A minor BWV 1003 (Ibragimova)"

Artist: "Fischer (Julia), Sitkovetsky: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields"

Track name:  "Songe d'une nuit du Sabbat (Larghetto - Allegro - Ronde du Sabbat - Poco meno mosso)"

...and for classical, these are medium length with many others significantly longer...

BubbleUPnP can display most of these on an Android device, but Gizmo is a better overall solution for working with Media Centre, but one which really needs some interface enhancements.
Pages: [1]   Go Up