INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC & iPod Classic on Mac Help  (Read 3122 times)

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
MC & iPod Classic on Mac Help
« on: December 06, 2013, 08:19:19 am »

I have an iPod Classic (160GB), and I am currently using MC19 on a Mac running Mavericks. I have yet to get the iPod to show in MC, and I am wondering if anyone can help me out. I have seen several forum posts that deal with PC and iPod issues, but I haven't come across any Mac-specific posts on this issue.

If I were able to send FLAC files direct to the iPod through MC's media converter I would be a happy guy. I am sick of using iTunes as a workaround.

Thank you!

Afghan Vet

Re: MC & iPod Classic on Mac Help
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:32:43 am »

Did you find an answer to this? I'm having the same issue - I want to use my Mac Book Pro to load my iPod instead of using the desktop PC that is in the spare room.

I don't know if this is like the CD ripping where it isn't a feature yet in JRiver MC for Mac or if it is a setting thing that I don't have right - reason I can't see it in the tree on the left hand side.

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 01:43:14 pm »

Afghan Vet,

I have not resolved this issue yet. It seems that the feature is not in the Mac version. Apparently, there are two aspects to this. One, the devices window, or whatever it's called exactly, is not in the Mac. The second aspect has to do with the iPod itself. In my case, I am using an iPod Classic, which may not be supported in any version. I'm not sure of that.

Anyway, here's hoping the developer can see his way to first getting the device window added to the Mac version of MC, and then if he's really super powerful maybe he'll add drag and drop with file conversion for the iPod Classic. That would be the bomb :)

cg

waleed020

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 12:56:26 am »

Anyway, here's hoping the developer can see his way to first getting the device window added to the Mac version of MC, and then if he's really super powerful maybe he'll add drag and drop with file conversion for the iPod Classic. That would be the bomb Smiley
We provide fast success in learn spanish dumps exam by using our high quality    clearchinese.com prep resources. We offer up-to-dated 101languages     dumps with definite guarantee of network+ training success   surfacelanguages

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 08:09:52 am »

Hey, the device window of Mac version has been there for a few months. I am able to do drag and drop conversion (mostly FLAC to mpeg) straight to my iPod Classic, but the problem is that the folder structure isn't recognized by devices looking to read the database of an Apple device. The files are all there, but even the iPod itself doesn't know it! This problem seems to be something that Apple would need to help with, and that isn't gonna happen.

So, I have a pretty solid workaround in place. I have an old 160GB hard drive set up as a device in MC. I have a smart playlist defined in MC that I synchronize to the hard drive (with file conversion). I keep the contents of the external drive sync'ed to iTunes and use iTunes to sync to the iPod. It's an extra step, but I end up with a backup of what's on the iPod. Dig?

The one issue the MC could address to make this system tight is that the sync step from MC to external drive isn't properly updating files on the device. He knows about it, and says it's getting fixed soon.

Afghan Vet

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 06:23:14 pm »

Thank you for that response. I just updated from MC19 for Mac to MC20 for Mac and I see the devices 'menu' now.

I think this situation I had today may be what you were describing - not 100% sure. 

I hooked up my iPod Classic.....it showed up in MC20....but it couldn't 'see' any of the files that were already on the iPod (the MC19 PC version does of course).

I moved over two albums from an artist - one was in 1411kbs Wav and the other was in 128kbs mp3.....it showed the files moving over - clicked on iPod device, and it showed each track transferring......ejected the iPod, and I could not locate these two albums anywhere on the two iPods I tried this with.

Really a shame because I need to load these iPods.....Like JRiver.....hate iTunes.....and I'm getting rid of that PC, so I wanted to do it with the Mac.

Am I just missing a setting? This is a brand new install of MC20 for Mac.

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 08:45:47 pm »

I can't tell you zactly what's going on, but I think the iPod is looking for the files in one of those twisted databases that Apple favors. I think iTunes needs to manage the db. I went through the whole drag and drop thing from MC20 and got all excited. Then I realized it didn't work. You can browse the iPod's files and see the files on it, but the folder structure is straightforward (not the weird structure Apple db's create). The workaround I suggested is actually OK, in my estimation, and it's been working very well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up