INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11-inch Macbook Air configuration  (Read 2095 times)

bg

• Junior Woodchuck
11-inch Macbook Air configuration
« on: December 07, 2013, 08:44:57 am »

Currently use Thinkpad T430s/win 7/jriver 19 with 500GB SSD. Seeking smaller, lighter notebook and considering 11-inch Macbook Air running JRiver 19 for Mac w/ external drive for ripping discs. I do not want a tablet type device. I plan to use my Meridian Explorer with the Mac and my quality earbuds. I use dB Poweramp + Thinkpad for rips. I have approximately 350GB of FLAC music files (ripped on highest FLAC setting) on my Thinkpad SSD H/D, but plan to cherry pick about 200GB of these FLAC files to move to the Macbook Air. Advice please on what Macbook configuration I should consider? Thank you!

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 11-inch Macbook Air configuration
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 10:12:12 am »

Honestly, if I was buying the 11" Air, I'd go for the top spec.

If 256GB won't hold all your music, it seems like 512GB is the logical choice.
I would buy as much RAM as you can, because it's soldered onto the motherboard and you can't upgrade it later.
And the upgraded processor seems like it would be 25-30% faster based on clockspeed alone, for a 13% increase in cost.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
Re: 11-inch Macbook Air configuration
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:57:05 pm »

I concur, if you are going for the 11" Macbook Air then max it out to the extent of considering the following:

1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz

8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM

If you are going to be on the cusp of the capacity of the SSD drive, then it does make sense to invest in the 512 GB SSD.

Admittedly though this adds $550 to the cost. Did you have a budget in mind?

Is all your music redbook or do you also have high resolution music?

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s
Pages: [1]   Go Up