INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems tagging DSF files  (Read 3086 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Problems tagging DSF files
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:40:41 am »

I have just started working with DSF files extracted from SACD ISO's using SACD_Extract.

Most of the time when tagging an album of tracks I am getting an error that reads:

"Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files.  Check that the files exist, are not read-only and are not in use by other programs."   followed by a list of files that it claims it had problems with.  Each file is preceded by "Tagging error" followed by the UNC path of the file  (All of my files are stored on my NAS (Synology DS1512+) using UNC paths.)

I believe this is happening most of the time when I am using the Rename / Move function.  The tags do seem to get written & the files get moved and seem to play fine afterwards.  The big problem is that when this error presents itself whatever music is playing stops with "Buffering" and does not start again until I play around with skipping forward or backward and eventually going into the playlist and double clicking on another song to get it going again.  (Play / Pause seems to have no effect other than changing the button from "pause" to "Play" and back again)

System specs:  Running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit with Windows Media Center add-on.
Intel I7-940 (2.93GHz) Processor on an Intel DX58SO motherboard with all current updates and drivers.
Nvidia GTX 660 TI Video / Sound (Using HDMI audio from this in WASAPI mode (Temporary while my Onkyo Receiver is out for repairs)

MC Version 19.0.67

Network is all Gigabit from computer to HP Procurve 1800-24G to Netgear GS748T Using 2 cables in Link Aggregation to NAS using 2 cables in Link Aggregation.   Methinks the network should be quick enough?

Please let me know what other info you many need to help me troubleshoot this issue.

Thank you.

Carl.

Edit:  So it isn't just when Renaming / Moving.  It seems to be for any changes to the tags  (I have it set to write just about all tags to the files).

Carl.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problems tagging DSF files
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:17:43 am »

If you're getting tagging errors, it's probably a file permissions issue.

You could test by putting a copy in a folder like C:\Temporary where you're sure to have rights.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 12:04:53 pm »

You could test by putting a copy in a folder like C:\Temporary where you're sure to have rights.

Why would I have file permission issues on 1 file type?  This only happens with DSF files.  All My Music files go to the same location.

Plus the files as I mentioned do actually get Renamed / Moved.

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:07:53 pm »

Why would I have file permission issues on 1 file type? 
Why not?  It depends on your settings.

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 01:15:30 pm »

Why not?  It depends on your settings.
If this was caused by "File Permission Settings" wouldn't it in the end prevent the files from being moved, written or changed?

The files are being written the where they are supposed to be.  Why would a file permission issue cause an error but not prevent what the permission or lack thereof is supposed to prevent?

The files are being written to my NAS server (Synology DS1512+).  I have never set any special permissions other than "allow all" way back when.  So why would it have an issue with DSF files specifically?

Carl

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 06:23:42 pm »

If this was caused by "File Permission Settings" wouldn't it in the end prevent the files from being moved, written or changed?

The files are being written the where they are supposed to be.  Why would a file permission issue cause an error but not prevent what the permission or lack thereof is supposed to prevent?

Not necessarily.  Windows has distinct permissions for Write Data and Append Data.

I agree that it is odd that it seems to apply only to DSF files, but this could be explained by filesystem location (if they're all in a subdirectory that has wonky permissions somewhere in the inheritance tree, by design or dumb luck, for example).  There are also separate Syncronize permissions and other things that could conceivably cause errors in esoteric cases.

It is worth checking.  If you can verify that the files in question are not read only, the files (and parent folders) are all owned by the proper user, and they all have "full control" permissions, then perhaps you've shown there is something wrong here.  But until then, we can't be sure.  I don't have any DSF files to test with, so I can't help with that.

If, instead, it is easier to post a few test files that cause it for you, I'll try them out later and see what I find.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 07:54:28 pm »

It would be easier to do the test I asked than to speculate.  That's how we narrow a problem down.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 08:58:51 pm »

This is the test Matt suggested.

Pages: [1]   Go Up