INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird characters via vnc client  (Read 3996 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Weird characters via vnc client
« on: December 08, 2013, 02:55:33 am »

My server/HTPC has vino server running, a vnc server that allows you to connect to a running desktop (contrary to other vnc servers that start their own desktop).

The thing is when I type into fields I get weird squares and modifier keys (ctrl, shift, alt) don't work. Locally everything works fine in MC. This means I can't do any remote management, tagging, etc in MC this way. I'm not sure when it started but at one point it did work :(.

Now I would completely blame this on vnc except that MC is the only program that this happens with. I do everything via vnc, other than that character thing in MC its perfect.

Any ideas?

bob

• Administrator
Re: Weird characters via vnc client
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:59:21 am »

Thanks for the hot tip on Vino! Very nice :-)
However, it works fine for me with the current MC build with the default settings in Debian vino (installed via apt) and tightvnc client on Windows.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:09:23 am »

I'm running realvnc client from Debian. Maybe its my client that's been troublesome, I'll try tight. I hadn't thought of that  ::).

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:24:06 am »

I tried several vnc clients to no avail and then remove --purged vino, reinstalled it but it doesn't work :(.

It used to work at one point though ... unfortunately I have no idea what I changed that caused this.

Thanks for trying though.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:19:06 pm »

I tried several vnc clients to no avail and then remove --purged vino, reinstalled it but it doesn't work :(.

It used to work at one point though ... unfortunately I have no idea what I changed that caused this.

Thanks for trying though.
I suspected perhaps that it might have changed when we modified the way we get keystrokes to get the ALT-GR key to work but since I can't reproduce the behavior, I'd think that's not the problem.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:09 pm »

More interesting testing...
It works to my 32 bit system Wheezy with XFCE over the internet but fails as you describe to my local 64 bit ubuntu test system. No idea why..

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 03:14:39 pm »

I reinstalled the server and its working normal again.

There's something wrong with my old profile, but I'm not sure what it is. I saved it so I can switch back and forth, there's some other weird things happenign with it too.

If the weird characters are bugging you you may want to try resetting your user profile.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 03:32:57 pm »

I reinstalled the server and its working normal again.

There's something wrong with my old profile, but I'm not sure what it is. I saved it so I can switch back and forth, there's some other weird things happenign with it too.

If the weird characters are bugging you you may want to try resetting your user profile.
The linux user profile?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 12:33:57 am »

Yes, I should have said your home folder. I don't know for sure whether the characters were caused by that its easily tested.

Pages: [1]   Go Up