INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOL ... just LOL!  (Read 3770 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
LOL ... just LOL!
« on: December 10, 2013, 01:15:57 am »

Start menu. After bringing back the Start button in Windows 8.1, Microsoft will take the next logical step in the next Windows version and make the Start menu available as an option. It's possible this will appear only on those product versions that support the desktop.

Source.

Re: LOL ... just LOL!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 02:35:05 am »

That's a shame. In most respects, the new start screen in 8.1 is better than the old start menu now. In Windows 8 it was a big step backwards.
I forced myself to try it for a week when 8.1 was released, rather than immediately installing Start8, and have stuck with it.
The only thing I miss from the start menu, is being able to access the control panel as a list - but I'm used to opening the control panel via the context menu now.

I agree with people that complain about the "all programs" screen not being as good as the old menu system, but the only reason I ever used the "all programs" menu on previous versions of Windows was when I wanted to pin a freshly installed application, so I don't really care.
If you're constantly using the "all programs" screen/menu on a daily basis, I feel like you're doing something wrong. Pin or search - either is much quicker.
Pinned items are far superior in Windows 8.1 to the old start menu's list of pinned items.

Metro apps being able to run on the desktop is a great change though.
I don't have any problem with how they work now, but I also don't really use many Metro apps.
Being able to run them on the desktop removes another reason for people to hate Windows 8.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:47:16 am »

Yes. That is a shame. If people were just getting used to the Modern menu, I don't think it would be such a problem. Most problems have been corrected in 8.1 imo. People hate changes, and people are stubborn... That's just the way it is.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:48:19 am »

Clippy for CEO.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 11:14:27 am »

That's a shame. In most respects, the new start screen in 8.1 is better than the old start menu now. In Windows 8 it was a big step backwards.

I agree, generally.  I think they should have just improved the All Programs view further (to allow actual folders and nesting, more like iOS's Springboard).  But, this isn't surprising in any way considering the way things have been going for them with Windows 8 and 8.1.  They're running scared, and undoing everything they did with Windows 8.

The problem is, in my estimation, that they're going to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Sigh.

If you're constantly using the "all programs" screen/menu on a daily basis, I feel like you're doing something wrong. Pin or search - either is much quicker.
Pinned items are far superior in Windows 8.1 to the old start menu's list of pinned items.

I agree with you generally (and avoid the All Programs view like the plague).  But... Two things:

1. There's another time when I use it, and I think this impacts other (less power-usery) users far more frequently:  When I don't remember exactly what I'm looking for (the application name, or whatever).  Maybe I remember the icon, and not the name.  Or maybe I can't really remember either, but I'll know it when I see it.  For whatever reason, this happens to me constantly with...  Uhh... See, it is happening now.... Gotta go Google it to figure it out...  TeamViewer.  I use TeamViewer when I need to remotely support friends and family.  I don't run it all the time on my machine, and I only use it for those occasional purposes, and for whatever reason I can never remember what it is called.  So, I can't search because I don't know what to type.

In Windows 7, I could just browse the All Programs menu, drill down to the Internet & Networking folder I made, and I'd see it right away, and know instantly when I saw it that it was what I wanted.
In Windows 8 (and 8.1) the All Programs view is such a piece of crap that I have to pin it to Start, even though I use it very infrequently.  I think that the Start Screen is best used for frequently used applications.  I like to keep it to one "screenful" of applications total, but since I have to pin so many infrequently used things, I have a "crap pile" off the right-hand end.

I strongly suspect from my experience seeing other people use Windows 8, that this is a very common thing for many "regular" users.  How many people do you know that don't even know what Word is called (my mom calls it "Microsoft").  Adobe Reader (almost all regular users I've ever encountered call it "Adobe")?  And so on and so forth.

2. Does it make sense to have such an important UI be so difficult to use?  Wouldn't the fact that you (and I) avoid it point to the fact that it is terrible, not that it is acceptable?  When I read someone say "Don't use it that way" in relation to Windows 8, that is the best indicator of problems in the UI design.  If it shouldn't be used that way, then the fricking thing shouldn't be there.  That's clearly the way it was designed to be used (pin frequently used apps, otherwise use All Programs).  But, it isn't great, and I think it is mainly because they flattened the hierarchy.

I get why.  iOS is popular, in large part, because it has very little hierarchy.  Filesystems with infinitely nested folders confuse users.  But even iOS has folders.  I think Microsoft should have implemented something similar (allow nesting, but only single-folder deep) in All Programs.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:44:39 pm »

I agree, generally.  I think they should have just improved the All Programs view further (to allow actual folders and nesting, more like iOS's Springboard).  But, this isn't surprising in any way considering the way things have been going for them with Windows 8 and 8.1.  They're running scared, and undoing everything they did with Windows 8.
They sold 100M copies in 6 months. Sales may not be as high as Windows 7 at this point in its lifecycle, but I think that's more related to the way that the computer market is changing.

1. There's another time when I use it, and I think this impacts other (less power-usery) users far more frequently:  When I don't remember exactly what I'm looking for (the application name, or whatever).  Maybe I remember the icon, and not the name.  Or maybe I can't really remember either, but I'll know it when I see it.  For whatever reason, this happens to me constantly with...  Uhh... See, it is happening now.... Gotta go Google it to figure it out...  TeamViewer.  I use TeamViewer when I need to remotely support friends and family.  I don't run it all the time on my machine, and I only use it for those occasional purposes, and for whatever reason I can never remember what it is called.  So, I can't search because I don't know what to type.

In Windows 7, I could just browse the All Programs menu, drill down to the Internet & Networking folder I made, and I'd see it right away, and know instantly when I saw it that it was what I wanted.
In Windows 8 (and 8.1) the All Programs view is such a piece of crap that I have to pin it to Start, even though I use it very infrequently.  I think that the Start Screen is best used for frequently used applications.  I like to keep it to one "screenful" of applications total, but since I have to pin so many infrequently used things, I have a "crap pile" off the right-hand end.

I strongly suspect from my experience seeing other people use Windows 8, that this is a very common thing for many "regular" users.  How many people do you know that don't even know what Word is called (my mom calls it "Microsoft").  Adobe Reader (almost all regular users I've ever encountered call it "Adobe")?  And so on and so forth.
Well you still get folders as far as grouping is concerned, they just don't collapse. I think large colorful icons and text is easier to remember than essentially a text list. There's also a view which sorts by frequent usage (though something I've disabled on the system seems to prevent that, and the run history...)

2. Does it make sense to have such an important UI be so difficult to use?  Wouldn't the fact that you (and I) avoid it point to the fact that it is terrible, not that it is acceptable?  When I read someone say "Don't use it that way" in relation to Windows 8, that is the best indicator of problems in the UI design.  If it shouldn't be used that way, then the fricking thing shouldn't be there.  That's clearly the way it was designed to be used (pin frequently used apps, otherwise use All Programs).  But, it isn't great, and I think it is mainly because they flattened the hierarchy.

I get why.  iOS is popular, in large part, because it has very little hierarchy.  Filesystems with infinitely nested folders confuse users.  But even iOS has folders.  I think Microsoft should have implemented something similar (allow nesting, but only single-folder deep) in All Programs.
I still think it's an issue of presentation more than anything else.
For power users, make the icons half their current size and increase the width of the text to twice what it is now, and that alone would probably fix a lot of people's complaints.

I've blanked out the other applications to make my point clearer:

They should not allow this to happen. It should be smart enough to know that if the majority of an application will be placed in the next column, that it should simply have been moved onto a new one to begin with.

That's the sort of thing that makes it easy to get lost in the start screen.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 12:56:09 pm »

I don't like the start screen for one simple reason: I have a 30" screen, and opening it flashes the whole display. Its really distracting and annoying, when all i wanted was to open a tiny application.
It might even be more user friendly then the old start menu for certain types of people, but not for me.

IF it actually comes back, and thats all just rumors at this point, i totally expect it to be optional.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 01:29:26 pm »

I don't like the start screen for one simple reason: I have a 30" screen, and opening it flashes the whole display. Its really distracting and annoying, when all i wanted was to open a tiny application.
Actually, with you putting it that way, it just occurred to me that I have all the animations disabled. (always have in Windows)
I find that makes the Start Screen a lot more tolerable for quick access. (instant on/off)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 03:53:38 pm »

I am waiting for them to make windows for my Atari 800, I know it is just around the corner.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:54:05 pm »

They sold 100M copies in 6 months.

Shipped != sold, but even if you assume that all of those devices actually ended up in end-user's hands and were still running Windows 8 when they did (that's a massive assumption itself: ever single HP we deploy here at work is a "Windows 8" sale, which we then nuke and deploy with Windows 7)... Even if you assume all of that, the next phase is pretty obvious: And then it fell off a cliff (and Windows RT was an unmitigated disaster).

Otherwise they wouldn't be running scared, Ballmer would still have a job, and so on and so forth.

Their actions speak loud, and the lack of hard numbers speak louder.  If it was still doing so well, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops.  Instead, we have one data point from forever ago (just after the "ooh, it's new" rush, and there was that massive early-bird discount they were running to get all the nerds onboard).  Since then?  "Analyst's estimates", and inventory write-offs.  I give almost zero credit to analysts estimates.  Gartner estimated in 2010 that Windows Phone would have a larger market share than iOS this year.  They're a joke, and about PR and marketing, not real-world numbers (at least, not the numbers they give out publicly).

The OEMs are all holding their breath for this Holiday season, but...

I wouldn't get my hopes up.  Otherwise they wouldn't be leaking stuff like this.  And stuff like this sure doesn't look good.  Neither does this.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 01:56:03 am »

Add the fact that Nokia just released an Android phone ... I can add a third LOL to the subject line.

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 03:34:05 am »

Actually, with you putting it that way, it just occurred to me that I have all the animations disabled. (always have in Windows)
I find that makes the Start Screen a lot more tolerable for quick access. (instant on/off)

You can also use the same background for the Modern menu as you have on your desktop. I agree with Hendrik that it's a bit awkward to jump from the desktop view to a totally new page for the "start" menu, but this improves that a lot. It will feel more like a overlay with apps and settings.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 03:38:47 am »

It looks like an overlay, buts not. They blurr the desktop background but really its a new screen that simply uses the same background.

IMO it would be better if it really was an overlay. Blurred and darkened but with the entire desktop as it is behind it. Open windows, icons. Then it wouldn't feel like an amputation each time you (accidently) press the start button.

dean70

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 03:53:12 am »

With my brief encounters with W8+, it looks like a dogs breakfast. Take Office 2013 on W8 for example - launch an app from the start screen & where does it leave you when you close the app - on the desktop!!!

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 04:00:07 am »

IMO it would be better if it really was an overlay. Blurred and darkened but with the entire desktop as it is behind it. Open windows, icons. Then it wouldn't feel like an amputation each time you (accidently) press the start button.
I understand why you might think that, but it could get pretty distracting.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 04:07:24 am »

Darken it, sort of like the UAC popup ;).

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 04:13:38 am »

Darken it, sort of like the UAC popup ;).
That was darkened. Here's the same image with approximately the same level of darkening that UAC uses.

Now it's just really ugly. And glass is in the past for Microsoft, a remnant of Windows Vista.
I suppose it could be optional, but I just don't think it works well.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 08:26:15 am »

I like that better than what they have now :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up