INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Organsiation - Advice  (Read 1327 times)

Arlett123

• Recent member
Library Organsiation - Advice
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:36:36 pm »

Hi all, issue with library organisation that I would like advice on!

My format is as follows:
Singles - genre then filtered by 3 star rating and above only.
Albums (Artist) - genre then album.
Albums (Compilations) - expression [Album] ([Year]).
Albums (Mixed) - genre then album.
All Music - genre.

Singles category houses my favourite tracks but I can also easily find a particular album, compilation or mixed album if desired.

Two things that I have not been able to achieve and would like advice on:

1) As Albums (Artist) is sorted by genre I am not able to have multiple genres within one album. Take "Dizzee Rascal - Showtime" (Genre: "UK Urban") as an example, I want the track "stand up tall" to appear in my singles category under Genre: "UK Garage". If the genre is changed the track will not remain linked to "Showtime" under the Albums (Artist) category.

Note: Albums (Compilations) using the expression allows multiple genres.

2) I have every "Now That's What I Call Music" compilation (Genre: "Pop"). This means tracks from 1983 to 2013 that are rated 3 star and above are listed under my singles category under "Pop". I'd like to separate "Pop" by a year grouping e.g. 1980's, 1990's, 2000's then 12/13 or something similar. I can achieve this in various ways, for example, renaming every tracks genre but I wonder if there is a better way. Also, I only want this rule to be implemented for Pop only and not the other genres listed under my singles category.

Are either possible? If not, what are my options?

Any help appreciated!
Richard

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Library Organsiation - Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:34:44 pm »

I'm not sure I'm following your description very well, so some more clarification might be required.

Can you clarify when you mean by "format" - I think you mean something regarding to Views.  But I'm not so confident in that guess.  Screenshots might help if this is difficult for you to describe.

Regarding (1), you can sort each category list however you want.  To respond to the other portion of this question, I'll need more info as requested above.

Regarding (2), please explain / show the view's description we're talking about here.  Also, I don't know what "12/13" is supposed to be in your example ("... then 12/13 or something similar).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

csimon

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:56:49 am »

1) As Albums (Artist) is sorted by genre I am not able to have multiple genres within one album. Take "Dizzee Rascal - Showtime" (Genre: "UK Urban") as an example, I want the track "stand up tall" to appear in my singles category under Genre: "UK Garage". If the genre is changed the track will not remain linked to "Showtime" under the Albums (Artist) category.

To clarify what this means...

When you select a Genre, if you then choose an album that is listed in that Genre but has tracks of assorted genres then you will only get tracks listed that are of the current Genre that has been selected?

If so, I think this is correct behaviour as metadata is not album-orientated and can only exist on individual tracks. So when you select Genre at album level, you are actually selecting an amalgamation of all the track genres, therefore tracks not of the selected Genre will be excluded.

Yoi might be able to get round it by multiple genres on the track?  e.g. "Stand up tall" would be given a Genre of "UK Urban; UK Garage" (I think MC can handle multiple genres in a tag like this?) so that it gets tagged with the album genre as well as its own genre.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 12:59:13 pm »

Indeed.  Category selection is a file FILTERING operation.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Arlett123

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 02:24:52 pm »

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies - apologies if I was not very clear! I have devised a workaround although there may be a simpler way for each.

1) I created a new library field called "category" which is populated by the same information in the genre field (i.e. the main genre of the album). I have edited my Album (Artist) so that it filters by the category field then album - this allows me to change the genre of individual tracks within the album and keep the files within the album, more importantly, the tracks are displayed in the correct genre under my Singles.

2) I have, begrudgingly, created genres called "Pop - 1980s", "Pop - 1990s" etc. As I said previously, my library is set up so the main usage (i.e. my top rated tracks) are viewed in "Singles". I know I could use a smartlists/playlists or a separate filter for this purpose but I wanted all my top rated singles in one place.

I didn't think you could list two genres (e.g. "UK Urban; UK Garage") for once track - I'll give that a go...

Any further advice/tips?
Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up