INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19 and NAS settings  (Read 4164 times)

-Michael

• Junior Woodchuck
MC19 and NAS settings
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:02:42 pm »

Putting music on on a Saturday morning takes me 30-45 minutes. Maybe I am not doing it right.

What are typical settings for a NAS-based music system? I use JRemote > MC19 for mac > Mac book Pro latest OSX > PSAudio PWDac II > Synology DS214Play.

I often get the message “Something went wrong with playback. Details: The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the library matches the filename on disk.”

That’s not particularly helpful. Usually I reboot everything and then MC19 for mac crashes just to give me something else to do on my weekend. Hence my difficulties in the previous post. The best part of an hour to put on music, truly.

Settings
Synology Wake on Lan enabled, Power schedule shutdown trigger enabled daily 0:15, HDD hibernation enabled after 10 minutes, advanced HDD hibernation enabled.
MC 19 for mac: Audiophile 24-bit dad shortcut settings, DNLA(and Extra) enabled.

I know a half of this request is for a non-JRiver product, but I do think that in this increasingly interconnected world this is a "falling between the cracks" situation, as it were.

MC19 is a decent product, and I am now a junior woodchuck!
Synology 214Play, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Roksan Kandy Amp, Dynaudio 42s, Magnum Dynalab 105T & attenuator, Nordost, TNTAudio and Furutech cables.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC19 and NAS settings
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:25:46 pm »

Sorry, I'd help if I could.

Everyone's different. I use MC with an HTPC that sits in my living room driving the TV and the stereo. Music files and recorded TV is kept on that local machine. The NAS is kept in a back room for music back up and to stream video when required.

If you're dead keen to get music quick, why not store your fave toons on your Mac Book's local hard drive (assuming it's got one, I'm a self-confessed and unashamed non-Appler)? At least you'll have something to listen to while the Synology NAS wakes up and gets the lead out.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:28:10 am »

I believe you should just import your files directly from the Synology drive instead of using DLNA.

-Michael

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:50:27 pm »

Thanks for your replies Astromo and JimH.

The Synology is only connected to my music via a LAN cable going into an Airport Extreme and then onto the PWDII. When I untick DLNA in the following location all of my music stops playing:

Media network
Add or configure DLNA servers
Advanced
Enable DNLA and DLNAextra ticked

How do I enable direct play from the Synology circumventing DLNA? I cannot find this documented on the JRiverWiki site. Thanks for any responses; I am looking forward to sorting this out.
Synology 214Play, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Roksan Kandy Amp, Dynaudio 42s, Magnum Dynalab 105T & attenuator, Nordost, TNTAudio and Furutech cables.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:22:27 am »

Take a look at your import settings under Tools/Import/Auto-import.

You're apparently loading a DLNA library instead of your default library.  Use your default library and import from the Synology drive.

See "Getting Started" on our wiki.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:34:27 am »

Just to emphasize Jims answer, the speed difference and what you can do through dsp dtsudio has become frankly amazing.

When reading the wiki, just don't get hung up on semantics:  Use/load the Mac's principal library (mapped to NAS on import - might have to reimport I don't know) and configure to run the "media server"  program MC19.exe  (looks like you have already; not to be confused with Media Center 19.exe  ). Do not use as DLNA, just use the "library entries that you see in the views you have.  So the Synology is just "serving the files" where as MC is the "media server". see screenshot maybe ? Your Mac should be connected directly to the DAC in this case.

Once you 've got that sorted, it won't take much time at all

If you want faster and you are using the PS Bridge, i'd remove it from the chain - jriver does that for you - probably the reason you can't get it to work btw, but not absolutely sure.  And a NAS on a 10 minute hibernation? I can see being "green" to save some power but these things are made to be on all the time .. waking a lan from sleep mode is pretty fast, from hibernation its not; loading the library will probably fail two or three times before its useful again ... set it for no less than an hour. I think you can program a late night hibernation cycle can't you?

Lastly, I'd get rid of the airport connection and go wired lan direct if possible. I know they say 1.3GPS in their ads, but trying one in my house it didn't come close to a third of that. Some people that know what they are talking about here on the forum using them though with good results, so I guess shouldn't be so definitive about it, maybe it was my wifi?

EDIT : oops see this post http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85972.0. Its not MC19.exe .  The rest should be ok though, thought the file name was cross platform.

-Michael

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 09:31:41 am »

There's a lot of specific advice here. I'll need about a week to try these suggestions out, so I'll get back then. Cheers.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 04:34:16 pm »

Ok I have a Mac Mini, a Synology NAS but a USB based DAC.

The error message you are getting would appear to indicate that MC on your Mac is not seeing the music files on the NAS.

In my system I have the NAS Music folder used by the Mac mount when I boot the Mac. I set this in my login preferences.

That way once my Mac boots the NAS music volumed used by MC is mounted on my Mac desktop.

Everything works fine.

My NAS is configured to be on from 5PM till Midnight, so as long as I boot my Mac Mini when the NAS is online everything works fine.

If my NAS is offline, and I try to playback a music file I would get the error you are getting.

So at the highest level that is how I am setup so everything works.

Now I do have my NAS set to hibernate. And I do have WAKE ON LAN configured on my NAS, and I can wake it with the Mac based tool, Wake on Lan.

So if I want to play music outside of the hours the NAS is online and mounted on my Mac, I need to do the following:

1. Use Wake on Lan and wake up the NAS.
2. Boot the Mac Mini and have it mount the drive at startup.
3. Launch MC and play music.

Now if the Mac is already on, and the NAS is not, then I need to do the following:

1. Use Wake on Lan, and once the NAS is booted
2. Mount the music volume used by MC from my Mac's desktop.
3. Launch MC and play music.

Let me know how I can help, hopefully that is your issue.

In short the NAS music volume needs to be mounted on your Mac desktop for MC to work properly.

Barr

p.s. and to Jim's point above, I concur that you should have (if you have not already) imported the music files on the NAS directly in the MC library.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

-Michael

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 05:56:39 am »

PWD & Synology

Hi once again. Basically bplexico’s advice did it. I a up and running with NAS, putting on music within a couple of minutes now.

I was not playing music via DLNA. I saw in the MC19 window that Playing from main library>Main library Loaded said “Yes”
and also saw that “DiskStation Loaded” said “No”.

Also, MC19 is installed on my MacBook Pro, which is being used as my main computer. So this was in a different room playing the music off the NAS to the DAC via same network wifi. Plugging the router’s lan cable to the MbPro expedited playback and reduced dropouts entirely. Everything is much more stable so I will be buying a Mac mini for my sound and films system now. Great news.

For those who are experiencing NAS blues, here’s additional details:

JRMC19
I went to “Options>Media Network>Add or configure DLNA server>Advanced” - Unchecked DLNA/DLNAextra and in
“Media Network” checked “DLNA server, DLNA renderer and DLNA controller”.

DAC
Haven’t removed the Bridge from the PWDII

Wake Me found on App Store (free)
http://www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/

Synology NAS
Control Panel>Hardware> HDD hibernation 3hours
Powerschedule>power down at midnight, no power up.

Mac
System Preferences
Users and groups
[Me] > Login Items
Add Audio files folder from the NAS (but there is a yellow triangle next to it)

System Preferences
Energy Saver > Default > Power Adaptor
Defaults Computer sleep: 10 mins
Display Sleep: 10 mins

Thanks for your valuable responses which has helped me on my path to digital music listening. I appreciate your help in all this.

Michael
_______
Synology NAS, PS Audio PWD2 with bridge, Roksan, Dynaudio and Nordost analogue playback equipment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up