INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19 (and MC18) incorrectly doubling DSD bitrate/samplerate  (Read 1811 times)

czakari

• Recent member
MC19 (and MC18) incorrectly doubling DSD bitrate/samplerate
« on: December 17, 2013, 01:23:20 am »

As has been discussed to some extent in another thread (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85806.0), I see MC19 incorrectly doubling the samplerate/bitrate on DSD files (dsf at least; I don't have any dst or dff files to compare) and then attempting to send a bitstream of 384kHz even though no upsampling is configured anywhere (384kHz is not a target bitrate for anything anywhere in MC, at least not that I can see).  This occurs on two different machines, one running OS X 10.9 and one running 10.8.4.  For testing and comparison purposes, I installed the latest MC18 for Mac on the 10.8.4 machine and the incorrect rate doubling exists there as well.

As for the sample rate, MC is showing 5644kHz on files that are actually 2822kHz and 11288kHz on files that are actually 5644kHz.  Non-DSD files are displayed and played at their correct bitrate/samplerate.

This doesn't appear to be simply cosmetic because playing DSD64 or DSD128 files activates MC's DSP mode with Audio Path indicating that MC is downsampling a 384kHz stream to 192kHz (I adjusted the downsample rate from the default of 96kHz to 192kHz).  Once again, I've configured nothing in MC to upsample at all, ever.  DoP is not being used on either of my machines.

The doubling effect appears in "panes" view on all DSD tracks, not just the one that's being played.

I'm in the process of more rigorously determining the configuration settings under which this issue seems to make a difference in the output; namely, static as discussed in the other thread referenced above.  Thus far, I have not been using DoP mode at all aside from testing to see if that mode would produce the mysterious static.

Note that the OS X 10.9 machine does have the Chordette QuteHD USB driver installed while the OS X 10.8.4 machine does not and has never had the QuteHD connected to it by any means.  It would seem that the connected audio hardware isn't part of this particular equation, although any connected hardware may be affected by it especially if that hardware (like mine) doesn't support the bitstream sent to it by MC.

Anyone have any info or ideas what's going on?  How to fix it would be nice but I won't hold my breath for that. ;-)

Thank you.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC19 (and MC18) incorrectly doubling DSD bitrate/samplerate
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 02:44:32 pm »

So you have a DSF file that is supposed to be 2822400 Hz but Media Center is displaying 5644800 Hz in the Sample Rate column?  Can you Dropbox one of these and send me a link? (johnt at jriver dot com)
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

czakari

• Recent member
Re: MC19 (and MC18) incorrectly doubling DSD bitrate/samplerate
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 03:09:07 pm »

To be clear, all of the DSF files I have show up with the incorrect bitrate/samplerate.

I'll drop you a link to one of those files later today.

Thank you.

Edit at 00:01 PST Dec 20: Email sent.  Thank you for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up