INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shorten files in JRiver MC 19 for Mac  (Read 1325 times)

Chutley

Shorten files in JRiver MC 19 for Mac
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:27:36 am »

Hi there,

Brand new to this forum, and I am envisioning using JRiver MC for Mac with my OPPO 105 player.  I have been searching the forum for information on shorten files, and seem to have found that although the format is antiquated, the Windows version of MC will at least convert to flac, and possibly play even them.  I have the demo version of MC19 for Mac, and cannot seem to either successfully play or convert shn files with it.  I am interested in this because I have hundreds of live shows unfortunately in shn format from etree, and would like to be able to ideally play, or at least convert them to flac with JRiver.  Ultimately, I will hopefully convert them all to flac and be done with shn.

So my question is, "Will JRiver MC 19 support shn at some point?"  Or possibly it already does, and I am doing something wrong?  Seems like an excellent product, thanks for the excellent software and forum.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Shorten files in JRiver MC 19 for Mac
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 05:09:32 pm »

Welcome.

Sorry to say, but native SHN support is not available.  This hasn't been a common request, since APE and FLAC compress better, support tagging, and seek better.

Is etree still using SHN?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 06:47:37 pm »

In case it is of any use, I wrote an etree shn --> flac converter, which also intelligently (hopefully) parses various info file formats to help populate metadata (this works with or without the conversion).  It is in this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78216.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Chutley

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:57:10 pm »

Matt,

Thanks very much for your reply.  I am sure there aren't many who post SHN files these days on etree, but unfortunately my collection was downloaded years ago (many Grateful Dead soundboards), when SHN files seemed to be very common.  I know I need to take the time to do a mass conversion, but was hoping MC 19 might accommodate SHN just a little while longer... :)

MrC,

Thank you as well - this converter sounds promising and I will check it out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up