INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Support Wikipedia  (Read 1182 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Please Support Wikipedia
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:47:07 pm »

Wikipedia is nearing the end of their annual fundraising campaign.

I use Wikipedia almost every day and can't imagine not having it.  Please show your support today.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Please Support Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 02:58:56 pm »

I pledged 0.075% of my monthly salary to them each month, two days ago. :)
It was your annual reminder that first prompted me to contribute a couple of years ago. Now I'm making it a regular, rather than a one-off thing, as I don't expect to stop using Wikipedia any time soon.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:19:21 pm »

Made my annual contribution a couple weeks ago. They are well worth keeping healthy. 

FastKayak / Larry 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:55:07 pm »

Ohhh, Wackypedia.  You are so conflicted.  On one hand, you are an amazing resource for the entire world the likes of which humanity has never known.  You allow everyone to contribute, and work is judged largely on merit.  You hold your own in accuracy of content, on average, with many other older dead-tree massive knowledge sources.

On the other, you vaguely resemble a sometimes bizarre totalitarian empire run by slightly OCD nerds and rules-lawyers.  The community can be harsh, and sometimes arbitrary, like any community online.  You are of the Internet, by the Internet, and for the Internet, but you live by an odd set of rules, grounded in the methodology of traditional Encyclopedias that seems increasingly anchored to the past.  Coverage level and depth can fluctuate widely across genres of articles (sometimes requiring a PhD, and sometimes all you get is a Stub), quality is inconsistent, and current events are often subject to the bile of the Internet.  And, there is a real problem of the echo chamber, and more insidious "professional" Wikipedia "management" services.

I love you, warts and all.

You're not perfect, like the humans that make you.  But you're pretty awesome.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up