INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I get the upgrade to MC19 if I have Sonata Music Server (based on MC16)?  (Read 1872 times)

ceasf

Not that I don't like Sonata, but I am getting a dedicated music computer (CAPS3 Zuma) and before I install Sonata I figured I'd check in with JRiver to see if they will give me a deal to upgrade/switch to MC19.

Other than some aesthetic differences and classical music orientation, Sonata is identical to MC so I am hoping I will have options come install time on the new computer.

Can't find anywhere on the JRiver site (at least not easily) to get the above question answered.

Any help from forum members is greatly appreciated (or better yet from JRiver folks).

ceasf

Still hoping to hear from someone......could be this is a question that only JRiver marketing or support can answer...will just have to cross my fingers and hope I hear something back in the not too distant future.

No Wiki help on this I'm afraid.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

Welcome.

Sonata is a separate product with separate licensing and pricing.

It's not possible to use Sonata to upgrade JRiver Media Center (or vice-versa).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ceasf

Had a feeling that might be the case.

Guess I will have to pester the Sonata folks to upgrade to a newer MC platform.  Once again, nothing wrong with Sonata and/or MC16, just worried that I won't be able to use Gizmo to control Sonata remotely once I install it onto my new dedicated audio pc (which will only project via HDMI out to a monitor when absolutely needed)

I know that Gizmo is supposed to work with MC16 on up, just fretting about whether or not Gizmo will work with the modified Sonata version of MC16.

Anyway, thanks much for answering my question Matt.

Cheers and Happy Holidays

Chris

• Citizen of the Universe

I think what Matt is saying is that you would have to buy a full JRiver Media Center license rather than being eligible for upgrade pricing, not that you can't move from Sonata to MC19?

ceasf

Right.....just don't want to pay the full freight for another media player prog when I already have one that works fine.

Upon further reflection, I remembered why I went with Sonata in the first place.....it is an MC16 audio focus based prog as opposed to the full featured (i.e. video, tv, etc.) JRiver MCs.  Sonata allows for viewing images and music playback (probably some limited video playback as well), but really it is geared for audio which is the sole reason why I use a media player prog for anyway.

Will stay with Sonata for the time being.

Thanks for the replies......
Pages: [1]   Go Up