INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keywords  (Read 1331 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Keywords
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:18:10 pm »

It would be really nice if there were a way to prevent Media Center from importing keywords from external sources.

I have a small list of keywords I assign to files which are actually meaningful, however recently I have noticed that a number of podcasts I'm subscribed to are now including keywords in their metadata, filling the list with junk information.

Similarly, when "Get Movie & TV info..." grabs data for new files, they include the worst keywords imaginable, with things like "Duringcreditsstinger", "Ice Cream Truck", "Cousin", "Title Based on Shakespeare", "Leave", to name a few from the last handful of films I imported.

Oh, and I've already managed to clear all my library's keywords once in the past when I was in the wrong maintenance view and didn't realize I was working on all files rather than only my videos. The previous backup was days ago, and it was less work to re-tag all my audio files (though I keep finding ones I missed...) than restore a previous backup.

I now know that I could probably have manually created a backup, restored the old one, saved that data to an MPL Playlist, restored the manual backup, and selectively imported that data, but that's still a huge amount of work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Keywords
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:56:31 pm »

It would be really nice if there were a way to prevent Media Center from importing keywords from external sources.

Tag On Import.  Assign [Keyword] to an empty string.

It would be more challenging to block it on the database lookups (while still using them), but I think since you have a strict structure in this case, but the data sources don't, you'd really be better off copying your strict structure to a custom tag.  Don't fight the system if you don't have to.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Re: Keywords
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:18:15 pm »

Ah, of course!

I'm actually not sure that I want to strip files of Keywords if they're manually imported (e.g. purchased files) rather than ones which are automatically downloaded by Media Center though.
I would likely be removing those keywords, but I might want to copy that data to another field first.

That's not a concern for video, so I'll add it to those rules, but I'm a bit wary of doing it for audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up