INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YouTube downloads  (Read 7058 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
YouTube downloads
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:22:39 pm »

It would be nice if we could assign a default Media Sub Type to videos downloaded via YouTube, or if it could be changed from "TV Show" to "Other" (or a new "Downloads" one?)

Whenever I download something off YouTube via Media Center it appears in the wrong views, and I have to manually fix it each time.

I was also wondering if there were any plans to support YouTube's RSS feeds?

It's really convenient to have videos downloading from other sites automatically via the Podcasts feature, so it's a shame that we can't just subscribe to YouTube channels in the same way.

ken1maeda

• Recent member
Re: YouTube downloads
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:07:15 am »

I wonder how I can download via YouTube...  Yes, I could do in the past just by clicking the target YouTube object, but now, somehow, it is played in the web only.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:10:38 am »

I wonder how I can download via YouTube...  Yes, I could do in the past just by clicking the target YouTube object, but now, somehow, it is played in the web only.
Are you running the latest version? (currently 19.0.96)

ken1maeda

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:47:00 am »

Are you running the latest version? (currently 19.0.96)
Yes, I am.  However, the situation was the same with the recent stable version (I forget the number).

connersw

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:21:02 pm »

Hold down Ctrl button on your keyboard when you select the link.  Do you get the pop-up window again that gives you options (show the webpage, play the file inside the player, etc)? 

6233638: I agree.  If YouTube RSS feeds were supported, you could have a Set Tag Properties button similar to podcasts.  That way you could set the 5-6 most common tags for each feed.

As it stands now, I don't download YouTube videos through MC though because it does not support 1920×1080.  I would prefer for that to be fixed first.  For now, it is easier to download with an outside program to a specified folder, and then configure auto import tag rules for that folder.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 03:25:18 pm »

The situation is getting very ambiguous these days.

If an episode of a network TV show is on Youtube, is it a "Youtube download" or is it a "TV show" ?

At this point, I think Video would be like Audio, where the classifications are solely on the basis of content ("drama" "comedy" "documentary" etc) rather than where it came from (although it is certainly reasonable to have that information somewhere in the Comment field).

ken1maeda

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 01:29:06 am »

Hold down Ctrl button on your keyboard when you select the link.  Do you get the pop-up window again that gives you options (show the webpage, play the file inside the player, etc)? 

6233638: I agree.  If YouTube RSS feeds were supported, you could have a Set Tag Properties button similar to podcasts.  That way you could set the 5-6 most common tags for each feed.

As it stands now, I don't download YouTube videos through MC though because it does not support 1920×1080.  I would prefer for that to be fixed first.  For now, it is easier to download with an outside program to a specified folder, and then configure auto import tag rules for that folder.

Although I tried holding down CTRL button, there was not pop-up window at all.
Once I tried to download a YouTube object with an outside web site (not a program), it took quite a long time.  I am happy if I can do with MC.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 03:37:14 am »

As it stands now, I don't download YouTube videos through MC though because it does not support 1920×1080.  I would prefer for that to be fixed first.  For now, it is easier to download with an outside program to a specified folder, and then configure auto import tag rules for that folder.
I think this might be a general issue with YouTube, though I've been having problems with the site recently.

With HTML5 rather than Flash, I nearly always seem to be offered 720p videos rather than 1080p ones.

And in IE11 with Flash, I regularly have to use the HTTPS site for audio to work, otherwise the videos play in silence. No volume control at all.

connersw

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:07:23 am »

The way I see it, the problem is two fold.  First, Google (the world's most evil company by the way) is always trying to save themselves by offering you lower quality.  They say that it is based on your detected internet speed, but even on a 75Mbps connection, they won't give me 1920×1080.  It is still possible to force it though; I use the Firefox add-on YouTube High Definition. 

I would think it would be possible for MC to force it the same way.  However, it appears to me that JRiver's approach is that they don't want to put too much effort into it since they don't have the official SDK.  YouTube is constantly making changes, and any effort they put into it could easily break tomorrow when YouTube decides to change something again. 

ken:  I cannot reproduce the problem.  Have you tried switching the browser engine (Tools -> Options -> Tree & View -> Web Browser -> Engine)?  Does toggling between IE and Chromium make a difference (while holding Ctrl to get the pop up back)?  Have you tried an uninstall re-install with the latest version?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 09:57:54 am »

First, Google (the world's most evil company by the way) is always
Bah.  Humbug.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:11:31 am »

I would think it would be possible for MC to force it the same way.

Tools > Options > Services > YouTube

connersw

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 10:19:54 am »

That option in MC still maxes out at 720, even if a 1080 stream is available. 

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 10:28:04 am »

Tools > Options > Services > YouTube
That's how I have things set, and I don't think I've seen Media Center download 1080p off YouTube for quite some time now.
I just checked with a video that I know is 1080p, and Media Center grabbed a 720p version.

However, I only get 1080p when I view it in IE11 with Flash.

If I watch in Firefox via HTML5 (I don't have the Flash plugin installed - only what is built into IE11) then 720p is the highest resolution available.

If I use a bookmarklet in IE11 to download the video, I'm also only offered 720p.

YouTube is constantly making changes, and this has been happening for a couple of months now.

It seems that it mainly happens when videos have adverts on them.
If they have ads, you can only use HTML5 for playback when it's embedded on another site (720p) - it won't play on the YouTube site itself without Flash.
And for some reason if the video has ads, I have to switch to the HTTPS site in IE11 or else I won't get audio.

So while Media Center is not getting the full resolution version, I'm not sure that it's Media Center's fault.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 10:31:18 am »

Yes, I just tested. I just tried some known 1080p YouTube videos and the highest playback within JRiver and the highest download with JRiver is at 720p.

connersw

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 10:36:50 am »

Like I said, it starts with Google.  They implemented a no 1080 download change ~6-weeks ago.  Lots of other downloading programs have now found ways around it.  Some still haven't, MC included.  I'm sure JRiver could fix it if they put the resources into it, but it doesn't mean YouTube won't change again tomorrow making all their effort for naught.  JRiver basically has to balance what the priorities are for them.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 09:16:18 pm »

Yes, the Firefox plugins that do Youtube download, reported that they cannot do 1080p and 480p now.  The workaround is to download the 1080p (or 480p) video and audio separately and then remux them together.  Some plugins are doing the latter and some have said that is too complicated for them.

ken1maeda

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 07:06:31 am »

ken:  I cannot reproduce the problem.  Have you tried switching the browser engine (Tools -> Options -> Tree & View -> Web Browser -> Engine)?  Does toggling between IE and Chromium make a difference (while holding Ctrl to get the pop up back)?  Have you tried an uninstall re-install with the latest version?

connersw: I tried both IE and Chromium, but there was no difference at all.  The problem does not occur in my office PC.  Maybe I should re-install MC.

rhkrhk

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 05:03:06 pm »

when using the you tube connection under video -  I can find the music I want, but it won't download. It won't play  ("something went wrong with playback - unable to open or find file  hr=ox80004005), but it WILL go to the web page and play from that.   conclusion: problem is with MC and not youtube.

current version is 19.0.67 - but when I check (help/update channel/ check for update), MC tells me 067 is the current version.

Please help
thanks
rhk

ken1maeda

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 01:19:39 am »

connersw: I tried both IE and Chromium, but there was no difference at all.  The problem does not occur in my office PC.  Maybe I should re-install MC.

Now, I have the same problem in my office PC.  Once it happens, I cannot get the initial setting with which CTRL+click works.

Pages: [1]   Go Up