INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OFF TOPIC copy control  (Read 1122 times)

zevele1

OFF TOPIC copy control
« on: February 28, 2002, 09:44:56 am »

have a look at it on cnet-click on more news

Bryan

• World Citizen
RE:OFF TOPIC copy control
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2002, 12:13:18 pm »

Write your elected officials and voice your opinion..   Stop Fritz and his big media cohorts from stripping you of your right to copy your purchased media!!

http://congress.org/

Michael Horton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2002, 12:30:50 pm »

having trouble with the links

once at the congress site, I clicked on media/entertainment under issues

and it sent me here

http://congress.org/congressorg/webreturn/?url=/nyac/issues/alert/?alertid=101156

could someone help me out with a link that's somewhat less off-topic

thanks in advance

and zevele1--why don't you have a profile yet?

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2002, 12:36:30 pm »

I have one,but most of the time i just do not sing in

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2002, 12:39:33 pm »

when i sign in,i am not sure it works.
post before was after sign in--no profil
i try again with this post

Michael Horton

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2002, 12:41:53 pm »

zevele1

>>>>>>most of the time i just do not sing in

"sing in" is only good for quiet places--you really should try to sing out!

http://www.singout.org/

Bryan

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2002, 01:10:04 pm »

MHorton (and others)..

Go to the link above and enter your Zip|PLS|4 zipcode and it will identify your elected officials.  Then you can choose to "Compose your own message" and it will send all your representatives the same message.. You can then choose either email, or hand delivery (for $4.95), or print copies out for mailing individually.

Hope this helps
Bryan

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2002, 01:17:26 pm »

i try again

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2002, 01:19:14 pm »

Bad news....

Hollings has been on this kick for a while. He's very eccentric, but I don't know how he winds up on this side of the issue - not a lot of media companies in South Carolina that I know of.

This looks like a classic shell game. Sure, the media types are worried about file transfers, but most consumers are more or less willing to pay for music if someone creates an economically appropriate model (broad range of choice, decent quality, individual file selection rather than aggregated packages, etc.). I like a free lunch too, but lets get realistic. Those days are going fast, amybe gone.

What's more interesting to them is this.  By using the P2P issue as a wedge, they can radically restructure a company-user balance that (in their view) has been out of whack since Sony/Betamax. We talked about this in another forum - they're changing the basic license (that has always carried with it a fair use component) by eliminating portability and the right to manipulate your files for personal and entirely legal purposes. And when people complain about it, their rationale is they're combatting copyright violation.

So, when the technology develops to the point where it can limit reproduction, you will wind up with a tiered payment system. So much for a file that can be downloaded and played only in its original environment. Add another x$ for the right to make up to y copies, Add another x$ for the right to make from y 1 to z copies. And so on.

These guys aren't as stupid as we'd like to believe. To repeat prior rants, they understand at long last that this is a new product and a new technology that will allow them to alter the existing paradigm, if they're clever in how they use traditional copyright issuues to mask what they're really up to.

My niece is heavily involved in the efforts of the Electronic Frontier Foundation to combat these abuses. These are her views in part:

"I'm hoping we'll see an expansion of the copyright misuse doctrine soon -
whether in Napster, the hardware/media licensing schemes for DVD, or
leverage copyright holders have been trying to extract from their
monopolies in other areas, even with the overbroad cease and desists they
send."

The EFF can be a significant force in combatting these schemes - probably mroe effective than writing a congressman/woman, who checks the contribution list anad throws the letter in the circular file. Check out www.eff.org.

Thanks for putting up with this. Whenever I think about the Brave New World these rascals are creating for us, it gets my weather up. Nothing a couple of good Scotch Ales won't cure.

HTH

Michael Horton

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2002, 01:20:09 pm »

thanks, Bryan, willdo

zevele1

get yourself a newer, improved wand and give it a little spin over the keyboard

that's what I do and it seems to work just fine

enabled cookies for the page seems to give the wand extra power though

because it didn't work until I did that

Michael Horton

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2002, 01:28:05 pm »

Harry

your input is ever so greatly appreciated. I'm willing to do both--write congresspersons and send aid to eff. If our efforts ultimately result in a shift in the paradigm back toward the consumers direction, I'll buy the first round of Scotch ale. In fact, I'm so motivated at the moment that I think I'll get started right away buy the first six-pack now. Thank you.

Michael

zevele1

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2002, 01:33:22 pm »

A friend of me toke my wand today.She wants to try to transform a car in pumpkin to make soup
My problem was "a bayou" one,not a cookies on

Michael Horton

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2002, 01:37:43 pm »

>>>>>>>My problem was "a bayou" one

you got bogged down. understood

Bryan

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2002, 07:39:14 am »

I contributed to the EFF back in November.  I've already got my t-shirt and I encourage all my friends to contribute as well.  They are the only ones truly fighting for consumers rights when it comes to digital media.    Contrary to popular belief however,  it does help to write your elected officials.  Most of them aren't technology people and could care less but if they get a flood of feedback then they will remember this if it ever comes to a vote.    You don't have to write a book, just a few lines that express how you feel about the issue..  The more feedback they get the more impact it has..    Everyone, go write them and get all your friends and family to write too.

Bryan
Pages: [1]   Go Up