INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: after 'in-place' editing, do we have to 'update' library?  (Read 2236 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
after 'in-place' editing, do we have to 'update' library?
« on: February 28, 2002, 09:00:17 am »

Tried to change the subject but coudn't.  Should read: after 'in-place' editing, do we have to tell MJ to update the files themselves?

Update library has always been one of my least known features in MJ, basically because I'm scared silly of doing anything to my files or database.  

I noticed yesterday that changing info in fields is very very quick using in-place editing.  So I'm wondering...am I right in thinking that the actual files are not updated by using this method (as opposed to using "file properties", which is slower, and so no doubt updates the files themselves)?  (yes, I have 'update tags when file info changes').

If that's the case, then how do I update the files themselves?

And does Update Library > update all database fields actually replace the database fields with what is in all the tags?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:after 'in-place' editing, do we have to 'update' library?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2002, 09:04:03 am »

In place editing updates the tags if you select tag updating in options. (on by default)

File Properties is slow because it has to gather information about non-databased, tag only fields like lyrics, etc.

>And does Update Library > update all database fields actually replace the database fields with what is in all the tags?

I believe so.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2002, 09:50:34 am »

Speaking Of Id3v2 Tags.

Since MJ Saves Both ID3v1 And Id3v2

In Windows XP, The Windows File Explorer Will No Longer Read The MP3 Files Because It Has A ID3v2 Tag In The File.

If Removed It Reads All The Standard ID3v1.1 Tags

Just Another Reason Not To Have ID3v2 Tags Saved To The File, Great Stuff

Just My 2 Cents
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

IQ10

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2002, 10:53:21 am »

">And does Update Library > update all database fields actually replace the database fields with what is in all the tags?

I believe so.

-Matt"

Sounds like the truck driver in: http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/product/film_info/0,3699,2322294,00.html
and http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/product/film_info/0,3699,2376307,00.html  

[former member]

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2002, 12:44:26 pm »

King,

Check out Plugin Manager -> Input -> MP3 -> Configure

You can customize mp3 tag saving pretty much anyway you could want now.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2002, 01:45:32 pm »

Matt

Just Looked At It, Thank You Very Much

It Seems The Auto Remove Seems To Work, I Guess When I Load A File Up Into Properties, It Detects An Id3v2 Tag And It Will Auto Remove It For Me, Nice.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2002, 04:48:27 pm »

Update library has always been one of my least known features in MJ, basically because I'm scared silly of doing anything to my files or database.

I'm the same way, really. Can somebody explain in detail what the various "File Information" options do under Update Library?

Scronch

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2002, 04:58:24 pm »

Me, too.  I've never done an "update library", because it scares the hell out of me.  How about an "Undo" button, in case it screws things up?  I know, this "just" means stepping back to a prior backup, but the program could keep track of that stuff, rather than the user.

Scronch

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2002, 06:47:17 pm »

I never thought there was anything especially arcane about update library.

It's just not very useful because you have to update the entire database (time consuming) rather than being able to select certain files, whose tags you know have changed, and updating just their DB info from their tags.

I think of it as simply as this:
"Edit File properties" then the DataBase is updated with info that you supply.
(and the files tags are updated if you choose)
"Update Library" then the DataBase is updated with info that is already in the files' tags.
The files themselves are unaffected.**

When doing an "Update Library":-
1) "Do not update database fields" - self explanatory, I guess.  Sometimes you want to eliminate DataBase entries for which there are no files - like when you've moved some files around using explorer or some such.

2) "Update New Database Fields Only"
There was a time when MJ did not support the track# field (can you believe) and some other fields.  When MJ began to support those fields JRiver included a way to have MJ examine files already in the DB and update the "New" fields from the file info.

3) "Update all database fields" - also pretty self xplanatory once you know the rest.

**This should always have been true but the mp3 plugin has only recently been taught some manners at Z's persistence (i have not got that kinda patience)  Everybody say "thankyou ZRocker"

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2002, 03:42:33 am »

Callithumpian, thanks for the clear and concise info.  

So basically the three options under "File Information" are for when you use an outside program to edit tags, right?  As far as I can tell there is no way to change tag information with MJ without also changing the database; so if you always use MJ, then you never need to use these three fields.

""When doing an "Update Library":-
1) "Do not update database fields" - self explanatory, I guess. Sometimes you want to eliminate DataBase entries for which there are no files - like when you've moved some files around using explorer or some such."

See, I thought that "Remove files which do not exist" did this.  And if I am right, then I can't see why anyone would want to 'update' their library by selecting 'do not update'... Unless, of course, this option works in conjuction with the 2 "clean-up" options.  But that doesn't seem to work either, because if I select "remove files that do not exist", surely I can't also check "do not update database fields"?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Scronch

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2002, 07:45:59 am »

I think for functionality as important as this, some context-sensitive help text from JRiver would be useful.

Scronch

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
RE:after 'in-place' editing
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2002, 12:51:38 pm »

<<See, I thought that "Remove files which do not exist" did this.>>
Yes it does.  Sorry, I didn't make that very clear.

<<because if I select "remove files that do not exist", surely I can't also check "do not update database fields"?>>
Yes you can and that is the most common set of parameters that I use with "Update Library"

<<so if you always use MJ, then you never need to use these three fields.>>
Correct. "Update Library" is a bit of a hangover from the days when MJ did not do everyhting that it now does like move and rename files, create subdirectories... etc.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2002, 02:00:27 pm »

<>

>Yes you can and that is the most common set of parameters that I use with "Update Library"

I'm going to harp on this one, because it's just not sinking in...
You remove files that do not exist from your database.  I do that too.  The point of this option is to update the database by removing those files.

So why would you simultaneously tell MJ to not update your database?  I mean, with both these options selected, isn't it the case that MJ does absolutely nothing?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2002, 02:03:38 pm »

lise

But you can change the database without changing the id3 tag.

one being when there is an error writing to the tag (can't write do to file locked, in use etc...)

not that this is in the options your talking about but it is close sine you will lose your MJ cat settings:

there is a Move bug that will drop files from the listing when you try to copy the same file to a dir that has the same file name in it. and when it prompts you if you would like to overwrite it you select "no" then that file is removed from the file list.

a Import is required to recover the file.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2002, 02:28:32 pm »

There is a difference in what is offered.

"Remove Files that Do Not Exist" does just that.
If that is all that you wish to occur, then you would also check "Do Not Update Database Fields".

IE:You are anticipating that some tracks are going to be removed, 'cos the files are absent, but don't want anything else "updated" with info that is in (other, remaining) file tags.

Alternatively, checking "Remove Files that Do Not Exist" and "Update All Database Fields" will remove DB entries for which there is no file and update the the rest of the DB with info that is the remaining files' tags.

Yeah?

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2002, 04:26:33 pm »

Took a while, but I gotcha.  Thanks.  

Now... why do we drive on a parkway, and park in a driveway?

(I'm in that kind of mood. yikes.)

Scronch

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2002, 02:00:02 pm »

Because I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

(I know some better ones, but JimH would just delete them and complain that we're scaring all the girls.)

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up