INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to JRiver... Couple of questions  (Read 3361 times)

spik99

• Recent member
New to JRiver... Couple of questions
« on: December 25, 2013, 11:13:34 pm »

Hi...

I normally use XBMC and decided to try JRiver....

Note:  I have a NVIDIA Video card and have a DVI->HDMI cable connected from PC to my AVR.
In Audio, under audio device: I selected DHC-80.3 [WASAPI].  I do have an IPad, but I have not purchased the app yet.

So below are couple of issues/questions.
1.  When I lower volume in PC, volume is not lowered... I need to lower volume in AVR.  I would like the ability to lower volume in PC.... can I do this ?
2.  For my movies... I have the following file structure in my PC:  Movie Name (year)/ Movie Name (year).mkv (eg 300 (2006)/300 (2006).mkv    A lot of the cover art were not done...  Is there a particular file structure JRiver uses... so that if I add a movie... I don't need to manually update movie info and cover art ?  Same question if I add music.
3.  Under Video, can I set "Movies" to only look at a particular directory ?  Can I add a new folder under Video eg "Music Videos" and have it look at a particular directory ?
4.  When looking at movies in "Theater View", is it possible to see audio info ?  Ex:  DTS HD Master or TrueHD ?  Same for music... Can I see audio info for music without having to put mouse over file ?
5.  I noticed under "DSP Studio" Room Correction....  does it make sense to do this if my AVR is using Audyssey ?  If I already set a crossover in AVR, should I set a crossover under "Bass Management" ?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New to JRiver... Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 04:20:29 am »

1. You can change the volume control used in Media Center by clicking the speaker in the upper left corner.

2. If you select the files, you can use Tools → Library Tools → Fill Properties From Filename… and set up a custom naming scheme.

So you would use: [Name] /([Year]/)

This should correct any tagging errors, and you should then be able to select your files, right-click them, and use Library Get Movie & TV Info…

3. You can right-click the library view you want to edit and choose Customize View…
Set rules for file display will let you control what files are displayed.

What I might suggest though, is that rather than looking at a specific directory, you use a specific Media Sub Type ("Movie" for movies, "Music Video" for music videos) and tag your files appropriately.

You can set up certain directories to have a specific Media Sub Type via custom auto-import rules.

4. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not too familiar with Theater View myself. Someone else can probably help you there.

5. Again, I don't have much experience here, but it's my understanding that these controls are for people that want to replace their AVR with the HTPC, rather than being used with an AVR.

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 09:13:49 am »

1. You can change the volume control used in Media Center by clicking the speaker in the upper left corner.

2. If you select the files, you can use Tools → Library Tools → Fill Properties From Filename… and set up a custom naming scheme.

This should correct any tagging errors, and you should then be able to select your files, right-click them, and use Library Get Movie & TV Info…

3. You can right-click the library view you want to edit and choose Customize View…
Set rules for file display will let you control what files are displayed.

What I might suggest though, is that rather than looking at a specific directory, you use a specific Media Sub Type ("Movie" for movies, "Music Video" for music videos) and tag your files appropriately.

You can set up certain directories to have a specific Media Sub Type via custom auto-import rules.

4. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not too familiar with Theater View myself. Someone else can probably help you there.

5. Again, I don't have much experience here, but it's my understanding that these controls are for people that want to replace their AVR with the HTPC, rather than being used with an AVR.

1.  I'm not able to adjust volume even if I adjust speaker in the upper left corner.  After I updated audio to "Direct Sound".... I'm now able to adjust volume...  Seems like "Direct Sound" sound is processed in PC vs WASAPI (sending audio directly to AVR).  In XBMC, I also have it set to WASAPI... and I'm not able to adjust volume in PC... so I suppose this is normal.

2.  I'm having trouble with this...  The issue is that most movies are not just one word.... For example, if a movie is named "Rise of the Guardians"....  When I use [Name], it only picks up "Rise" instead of full description.... I have attempted inserting different fields.... but still only picks up first word of movie....

How do I do the below ?

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:30:49 am »

1.  I'm not able to adjust volume even if I adjust speaker in the upper left corner.  After I updated audio to "Direct Sound".... I'm now able to adjust volume...  Seems like "Direct Sound" sound is processed in PC vs WASAPI (sending audio directly to AVR).  In XBMC, I also have it set to WASAPI... and I'm not able to adjust volume in PC... so I suppose this is normal.
If you click the speaker icon, you can choose between Internal Volume, Application Volume, or System Volume.
Application/System adjust the Windows Mixer, which may be disabled depending on the output mode you are using.
Internal Volume adjusts using the 64-bit Media Center engine and should always work.

2.  I'm having trouble with this...  The issue is that most movies are not just one word.... For example, if a movie is named "Rise of the Guardians"....  When I use [Name], it only picks up "Rise" instead of full description.... I have attempted inserting different fields.... but still only picks up first word of movie....
Did you use the full [Name] /([Year]/) command, or just [Name] ?

How do I do the below ?
Tools → Import → Configure Auto-Import:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 09:50:41 am »

You may want to review this thread as it has further details that will probably help you out:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78206.0

Yes, it can.  Theater View displays metadata in a variety of ways using a set of File Info Templates.  These are defined here:
Options > Theater View > Appearance > Customize file info panel

The system is pretty flexible and has a lot of options, but it works basically through a search.  Each template has a search defined, and they are evaluated from top to bottom in the list (only the first matching "hit" is used).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 11:52:07 am »

You may want to review this thread as it has further details that will probably help you out:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78206.0

Yes, it can.  Theater View displays metadata in a variety of ways using a set of File Info Templates.  These are defined here:
Options > Theater View > Appearance > Customize file info panel

The system is pretty flexible and has a lot of options, but it works basically through a search.  Each template has a search defined, and they are evaluated from top to bottom in the list (only the first matching "hit" is used).

OK... I will check link...

I did go here:
Options > Theater View > Appearance > Customize file info pane & selected Movie template....

But I don't see the ability to show audio codec listed...  I was able to add additional info...  This info is listed when I select movie...  Can this info be displayed before selecting movie (in front) ?

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 11:54:50 am »

If you click the speaker icon, you can choose between Internal Volume, Application Volume, or System Volume.
Application/System adjust the Windows Mixer, which may be disabled depending on the output mode you are using.
Internal Volume adjusts using the 64-bit Media Center engine and should always work.
Did you use the full [Name] /([Year]/) command, or just [Name] ?
Tools → Import → Configure Auto-Import:

Choosing between Internal Volume, Application Volume, or System Volume.... does not work... I think this is due to selecting WASAPI ?

Did you use the full [Name] /([Year]/) command, or just [Name] ?  I tried both....

Updated:  Tools → Import → Configure Auto-Import:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 02:10:11 pm »

I did go here:
Options > Theater View > Appearance > Customize file info pane & selected Movie template....

But I don't see the ability to show audio codec listed...  I was able to add additional info...  This info is listed when I select movie...  Can this info be displayed before selecting movie (in front) ?

I'm not sure what issue you're having.

The Audio Codec is stored in a field in MC's Library called [Compression], and you can add this to the File Info template as you see fit.  This shows more than just the audio codec, though.  If you want it to show just the audio codec, you'll need input from someone else (though I think it has been addressed in this forum before, so you might want to try searching).

If your issue is that you can't get it to show where you'd like, this is a function of the Show entry in the File Info template.  It can be set to Always Show (which is probably what you want), Only Show in Large View (only when you've hit Enter to "open" a file in Theater View), and a variety of other modes.  How it shows up does depend somewhat on the way you have your View set in Theater View, and what view "mode" you are using (Thumbnails vs Lineup vs List, etc).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 02:18:39 pm »

More info on the vagaries of detecting DTS-MA in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84011.0

TrueHD should work.  DTS-MA is trickier, and I don't know the current status.

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 07:27:55 pm »

Just curious... but I notice that my Video usage is about 18% watching movies and about 35% watching a music video...  I play same movie and same music video in XBMC and XBMC video card usage is very low... below 5%.... Just wondering why this is the case ?

It made no difference in JRiver if I use Red October standard or Red October HQ.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 08:40:08 pm »

Just curious... but I notice that my Video usage is about 18% watching movies and about 35% watching a music video...  I play same movie and same music video in XBMC and XBMC video card usage is very low... below 5%.... Just wondering why this is the case ?

It made no difference in JRiver if I use Red October standard or Red October HQ.
ROHQ uses the video card to perform advanced scaling and image processing, so it will have higher GPU usage than other players.
Are you using hardware acceleration in Media Center/XBMC?

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 10:05:31 pm »

ROHQ uses the video card to perform advanced scaling and image processing, so it will have higher GPU usage than other players.
Are you using hardware acceleration in Media Center/XBMC?

I re-checked and yes... I am using hardware acceleration in XBMC

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 10:08:02 am »

New question...

I have some home movies taken with IPad with file extension ".MOV".  These videos are stored under my "Pictures" folder in PC.

When selecting "Home Videos" it is not picking up these videos but it does pick up videos with file extension ".AVI".

IN Option -> File Types, I do see "QuickTime (mov,qt) listed...  It had "File Association" to "No"... I updated to "JRiver video engine"... I refreshed and it did not update "Home Videos".  When selecting file manually and selecting J River to open... video did play in J River...

What do I need to do so that J River also picks up ".mov" under Pictures ?  As mentioned... J River does pick up ".avi" videos under Picture and puts them under "Home Videos".

Thanks.

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 10:15:54 am »

Also, is there a way to rotate video ie 90 degrees ?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 10:20:24 am »

Right now MC doesn't allow you to rotate a video.
Video Rotation is on our list of things to do, sadly it is not an easy task, but we'll get to it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 11:02:59 am »

Also, is there a way to rotate video ie 90 degrees ?

If you want to fix them permanently, you can do it with MPEG Streamclip.

But, better is to try to teach people to stop recording videos that way.  Tall-style videos waste horizontal resolution on almost all displays.  Also, there's a reason TVs are widescreen and not "tallscreen".  The human visual system has a wider field of view than it is tall.

(But that's a difficult task.  I constantly have to remind my wife she's recording video the "wrong way".  I wish there was a way to turn that "feature" off on the iPhone.)

spik99

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 11:26:56 am »

Yes, going forward I now know the proper orientation when taking videos on IPhone...  I'll probably look into trying to convert video to fix orientation.

Why are the ".mov" video files from IPhone not being picked up under "Home Videos" ?

When manually looking files in JRiver, it does see ".mov" videos and plays them...
Pages: [1]   Go Up