INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MS Word conflicts and random skipping  (Read 1675 times)

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
MS Word conflicts and random skipping
« on: December 26, 2013, 09:58:33 pm »

I've noticed that when MS-Word for Mac is running, JRiver crashes within 30 minutes (sometimes 30 seconds).  It doesn't matter if Word is actually doing anything or just open in the dock.  They just don't play well together.  FYI...

In the past two days, JRiver has begun skipping during playback.  Nothing else changed & it worked fine prior to the past two days.  A song will start, play for a few seconds, and then pause.  A few seconds later, the song will resume (either at the point it stopped or sometimes from the beginning).  Any ideas?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MS Word conflicts and random skipping
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 07:10:21 am »

Antivirus?

Word using CPU cycles to do something?  Or disc.

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 03:41:00 pm »

Antivirus?  Word using CPU cycles to do something?  Or disc. 

Well, I have no idea why, but JR freezes within a few minutes if Word is open.  I use no AV programs, and nothing's running at all when JR works.

MOST songs start, play for about 5 seconds, and then restart.

SOME of those play through to the end without further interruption.

A FEW of those stop once or more during playback for three to five seconds and restart where they stopped.

A VERY FEW play perfectly with no restarts or skips at all.

The iMac drive (where JRiver resides) has 1.79 free TB of the 2 TB capacity, and the RAID drive (seen by the iMac as a single drive) has 3.11 of 4 TB free. Therefore, lack of drive (or memory, with 16 GB installed) should NOT be a problem.

How does one reset JR to its defaults?  I've piddled with settings trying to find a solution, but didn't write down which I changed.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:19:07 pm »

Well, I have no idea why, but JR freezes within a few minutes if Word is open.  I use no AV programs, and nothing's running at all when JR works.

MOST songs start, play for about 5 seconds, and then restart.

SOME of those play through to the end without further interruption.

A FEW of those stop once or more during playback for three to five seconds and restart where they stopped.

A VERY FEW play perfectly with no restarts or skips at all.

The iMac drive (where JRiver resides) has 1.79 free TB of the 2 TB capacity, and the RAID drive (seen by the iMac as a single drive) has 3.11 of 4 TB free. Therefore, lack of drive (or memory, with 16 GB installed) should NOT be a problem.

How does one reset JR to its defaults?  I've piddled with settings trying to find a solution, but didn't write down which I changed.
The easiest way to do this is to rename or remove the "~/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 19/Settings/User Settings" file either from a terminal window or the finder after unhiding the ~/Library directory.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up