INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When is the ibrary not the library?  (Read 1507 times)

Mike48

• World Citizen
When is the ibrary not the library?
« on: December 27, 2013, 05:50:00 pm »

When one is using JRiver Media Center, of course!

How hard would it be for JRiver to stop calling its database index a "library"?  Call it the index, call it the database, call it the catalog -- anything but library!  This strange terminology has caused confusion for several users (perhaps every new user who encounters it), and it violates common English usage, in which a library is a collection of media, and a catalog (or index) contains metadata on them.

I know it must seem normal to the JRiver programmers, but -- take it from an English major  ;) -- it isn't!

Just a thought.....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: When is the ibrary not the library?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:03:39 pm »

... but -- take it from an English major  ;) -- it isn't!
Got a job yet?  ;)

JimCo06

• Recent member
Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 06:58:25 pm »

I agree it does seem to cause a lot of confusion.  I know I was initially confused.   However at this point switching to the correct terminology would probably really confuse people.  All the old posts would refer to a "library" while newer posts would refer to an "index" or "catalog".  But I do think that making the change would, eventually (long term), end the confusion.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 08:08:08 pm »

I agree, but I think it is too late to change now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 10:01:05 pm »

We choose Library a long time ago because Database was too geeky.  I still think that's a reasonable argument.

Also, according to Merriam-Webster, a library is:
"A place where books, magazines, and other materials (such as videos and musical recordings) are available for people to use or borrow"

When you're in your media library in JRiver, your media is available to use.  Your library is the thing you're browsing and searching, just like a physical library.  We didn't call it "books" we called it "library" (which is the thing that holds the books and index).

(p.s. I'm going to hide now.  Me arguing semantics with an English major is a losing proposition :P )
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:33:39 pm »

Jim-- I did get a job -- thanks for asking.  ;)  I was an English major with aptitude for science.  I got a graduate degree in biology and was gainfully employed for 30 years.

We choose Library a long time ago because Database was too geeky.  I still think that's a reasonable argument.

Also, according to Merriam-Webster, a library is:
"A place where books, magazines, and other materials (such as videos and musical recordings) are available for people to use or borrow"

When you're in your media library in JRiver, your media is available to use.  Your library is the thing you're browsing and searching, just like a physical library.  We didn't call it "books" we called it "library" (which is the thing that holds the books and index).

(p.s. I'm going to hide now.  Me arguing semantics with an English major is a losing proposition :P )

Matt-- You've not convinced me. If someone can understand flac files, mp3s, different video formats, DLNA, and ASIO vs. WASAPI vs. DirectSound, they can understand "database"!

I understand it may seem too late to change. I think it could be done -- when you do it, don't use the word "library" to mean something new. Call the present library the "catalog" (or even "library catalog") and call the user's media files the "media collection". Simple!

But hey, it's your project, so I'll stop there. Maybe as you think about it, you'll come around. If not, I'll still pay for upgrades, as long as MC continues to work well with my audio system.

Happy New Year!

TedSmith

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:28:58 pm »

Matt-- You've not convinced me. If someone can understand flac files, mp3s, different video formats, DLNA, and ASIO vs. WASAPI vs. DirectSound, they can understand "database"!
I have to agree with Mike48.  I can say that this was the biggest problem when I first tried JRiver.  Because of it I uninstalled the trail and it was a year or so later that I tried again.  Unlike Winamp and foobar2000 I had no idea how to interpret the JRiver options which controlled file tags <-> JRiver library.  In my mind my music files were my library and hence my misunderstanding that for some reason JRiver used the word tags for their database.  I had no confidence that I could use JRiver without it modifying my files...  Even now I have to read the options very carefully after each upgrate to make sure I don't accidentally edit my files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up