INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Phone 7.8 HTC Titan x310e not detected as handheld  (Read 5663 times)

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
Windows Phone 7.8 HTC Titan x310e not detected as handheld
« on: December 31, 2013, 01:07:22 pm »

Hi, I just installed JRiver 19.0.67 in the hope I could use it to sync .flac files from my music library (Win 7 Pro) to my Windows Phone 7.8
But JRiver does not detect it. Even after reboot and requesting redetect of handheld. JRiver sees Explorer and the PC's CD Drive but not the handheld. Windows Explorer does not either. WMP 12 doesn't (which is one reason I installed JRiver). Zune does (but Zune does not see .flac files).

Has anyone here managed to get JRiver to detect a Windows Phone 7.8 HTC Titan x310e? Don't tell me I'm going to have buy yet another Windows Phone ... ANyone got the Nokia 1520 working with JRiver? Or anything?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows Phone 7.8 HTC Titan x310e not detected as handheld
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 01:34:05 pm »

How about Windows Media Player? 

Welcome to the forum.

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 03:23:00 am »

Hi Jim, thanks for the welcome. Happy New Year to you and all.
No, Windows Media Player 12 does not see the device to sync either. Don't think it ever did because Microsoft insists on using Zune (software, not a Zune device) to sync Windows Phone 7.5 / 7.8. And Zune does not cope with flac. That's why I was trying JRiver.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 09:59:32 am »

JRiver sees Explorer and the PC's CD Drive but not the handheld. Windows Explorer does not either.
Maybe I am misunderstanding you? I read that your phone is not recognized in Windows explorer. Can't see how any program can "see" your phone if windows can't.

If that really is the case, I'd think its more of an install issue of some software/driver needed by the phone itself. 

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:42:33 pm »

Maybe I am misunderstanding you? I read that your phone is not recognized in Windows explorer. Can't see how any program can "see" your phone if windows can't.
Zune can (and does and always did) "see" the Windows Phone. This is how Microsoft insists Windows Phone 7.5/7.8 is sync'ed from Windows PC. (In the past from Windows Phone/Mobile 6.5 backwards, that used WMDC and earlier ActiveSync - but 7.5/7.8 no other option than Zune).
So I can sync WMA Lossless in Zune from PC to phone (which is converted on the fly to 320 or 192kbps I forget which) but WMA Lossless is not usable by my Marantz or JVC or TV box - but flac is which is why I converted / re-ripped ALL my 90GB of music into flac. Only to find I can't get it onto my Windows Phone 7.8 which is why I tried JRiver. But JRiver (unlike Zune) does not detect the Windows Phone. Hence this thread to ask if anyone has ever got a Windows Phone to be seen by JRiver. Specifically 7.5 or 7.8 or, if all else fails, 8.
Or in other words, does JRiver work with Windows Phone?

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:38:18 pm »

hmm ok so zune sees it.  That means that Microsoft is hiding it from its own explorer?!  Even my iphone is recognized in win explorer. 

If it is showing as device in Explorer it would be possible to develop external syncing IF apple didn't change their stuff so often -- I know that you could sync a windows phone with media monkey two months ago, but now its broke again and you can't. If MS actually hides its phone from its own OS they are not just omitting something they are doing it on purpose IMHO. Would you develop and support a program that you know in advance is going to break in 3 to six months? Both Apple and Microsoft should be publicly hung  >:(

Anyways, I read your detailed post in Hydrogen audio (if they can't find an app that does it doubt anypace else will ...). You made the right choice by flac ... good compression totally lossless, no generational degrading if you change formats, and especially substantial metadata handling. I read that you do not want to have a duplicate of your collection (well that's your business but you only have 90gb not 9 terabytes - the mp3 at the highest/best compression rate in VBR would take up very little space you could probably stick it on a 32gb flash drive.)

Don't you need to have the format you are going to sync to your phone somewhere on the PC you are syncing to? Unless you have a lot of space on your phone you probably won't use flac, I presume. JRiver can convert on the fly so you wouldn't have to convert all your collection (keeping its flac files -- you can also set up a separate library in lame Mp3 just for your phone).  OK what does suck is that you still have to have zune installed. But look at it another way you have the best player anywhere for audiophile playback that is playing and organzing your flac files. And if Zune can import playlists like mpl which I think it can you can just make a playlist in jriver, convert it and import the playlist into Zune. Not to mention that all your tagging will be automatically duplicated (if supported by Mp3 that is).

Oh well just frustrating to hear yet another case of these giants do everything to push anti-trust laws to their max grey areas. Just read about ebooks anti trust and apple this week ..... grotesque.

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 03:05:38 am »

hmm ok so zune sees it.  That means that Microsoft is hiding it from its own explorer?!
Anyways, I read your detailed post in Hydrogen audio (if they can't find an app that does it doubt anypace else will ...).
Don't you need to have the format you are going to sync to your phone somewhere on the PC you are syncing to? Unless you have a lot of space on your phone you probably won't use flac, I presume. JRiver can convert on the fly so you wouldn't have to convert all your collection (keeping its flac files -- you can also set up a separate library in lame Mp3 just for your phone).
Thanks for the feedback.
1. yes you have it right. Microsoft hides WP 7.5 and 7.8 from Explorer presumably because it wanted to force people to use Zune for some strange arcane reason.
2. Thanks - I hoped that forum was a good place to connect with so nice to hear they're top of that particular heap.
3. One good thing about WMP is that it converts on the fly as part of the syncing process so (if you are using WMA Lossless or other WMP format) so you don't need to maintain a 2nd library. There is a cache somewhere. Yes I noticed that JRiver will also do that - slight downside is that WMP also now picks up the cached converted files. *eureka moment*

Talking this through with you has really helped. I now realised the "slight downside" I mentioned is actually a benefit. The files from JRiver in the converted cache not only show up as a duplicate album in WMP (slight pain but it does separate by filetype so I have flac version and mp3 version so it's clear) but also in Zune from where I just synced to the Windows Phone. So at least if I have previously synced in JRiver to my USB stick (for in car), it then those albums will show up in Zune for syncing to Windows Phone. It's a workround - not ideal but it works. Thanks.

I'd still like to hear from any JRiver user who has successfully used JRiver to sync to a Windows Phone 8 (or, indeed, and version). If that can be confirmed, I'll just have to speed up getting a new phone...
Pages: [1]   Go Up