INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate songs added with each new media file to library  (Read 9208 times)

speeddeacon

• Recent member
Duplicate songs added with each new media file to library
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:58:58 am »

For some strange reason, every time I add a new album to my hard drive, MC19 adds every song to the MC library twice.  There is only one album, but each song is there twice so I have to go delete the duplicate songs.  Anyone know what might be wrong and how I can fix it?

OSX 10.8.5
MC19 .0.1

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Duplicate songs added with each new media file to library
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:50:01 am »

are the duplicates showing the same path? are they true duplicates? (eg. not an Mp3 and a Flac file?)

That happened to me after mapping a drive to z, but forgot to change autoimport settings from the local drive letter. If this is the case go to a file view and remove the local drive files (CAREFUL just from the Library don't delete the files from the disc). For new media I continue to dump files to the local drive path, but use autoimport only from the network mapped drive.

If this has nothing to do with it, I'd still look carefully at your autoimport configuration or reconfigure it from scratch.

speeddeacon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:03:13 am »

I'll look into the path.  I've deleted all the redundant files so will need to add another file to check.  I will also look into the auto-import settings.  I haven't messed with it in a long time so forget what the settings even are. Perhaps in the transition to MC18 to 19 or one of the updates to MC19 has altered them.  Thanks for the advice.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:04:42 am »

sure thing hope it works for you. Get back if not, should be a simple fix

speeddeacon

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:06:17 pm »

Ok, I've been able to drill down a little more info and it is not a MC19 importing issue.  I did like you said and discovered that the paths are not identical, that they are actually being duplicated in the transfer to my hard drive, but in a different path  structure.  It is very, very weird to me, but I'm sure there is a logical explanation to those of you who are in the computer industry.  First let me give some info as to how my system is set up.  I have a dedicated Mac Mini music server and an external USB hard drive.  All of the music files are contained on this hard drive and that is the drive that MC19 auto imports from.  I rip my files on an iMac and then send them via my network, or directly with a USB flash card, to the Mac Mini, using copy command.  What I discovered is that when they are copied to the external hard drive, they are getting copied twice with different file paths. 

For example:
/Volumes/Multimedia/Digital Music Folder/Candlelight Red/Reclamation/01 Candlelight Red - Reflecting.aiff, which shows up in a folder named the artist, in this case Candlelight Red. 

The other file will be named the album, in this case Reclamation and the file name will be:
/Volumes/Multimedia/Digital Music Folder/Reclamation/01 Candlelight Red - Reflecting.aiff, which shows up in a folder named the album.

The thing is, I only copy the file one time.  Something is happening either during the copy process, or on the hard drive and I have no idea what or why.  The native file that is being copied is the first one with the Artist in the file path, not the album. Any ideas?

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:11:42 pm »

How are you ripping your music files? Are you using XLD or iTunes or something else? I am surmising you are using iTunes which might also be organizing your files for you, or perhaps you are using XLD and have it configured to import to iTunes?

Can you provide some more details on the exact steps?

1. What software you are using to rip the CDs?
2. Export/configuration settings for that software
3. After ripping the CD, do a search for the album and see how many instances you find.

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

speeddeacon

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:56 pm »

1 & 2. I use XLD and rip to a folder on my iMac.  I then copy the file to a USB flash drive and physically take it to the Mac Mini and copy from the USB flash drive to the external hard drive connected to the Mac Mini, or I copy from the folder on the iMac to the external drive connected to Mac Mini over my network. 

3. There is only one file in the ripped folder.  I copy from that flash drive to another computer at work and only one file transfers there.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 06:09:29 pm »

OK, and do you have JRiver setup for auto import or do you manually import the new files?

If you have it setup for Auto import, what folders do you have it set to watch? (Tools->Options->Libraries & Folders->Configure Auto Import)

If you can see the Mac Mini external HD on your network from the iMac, why not setup XLD to rip the Cds to the proper folder on the external hard drive, that would save you several steps? This of course has nothing to do with the issue you are experiencing, just a suggestion.

Can you also tell me what you have in XLD Preferences in the General Tab under Output Directory?

And in XLD Preferences in the File Naming Tab under Format of filename?

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

speeddeacon

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 08:08:38 am »

Thanks for your time and help.  I really appreciate it!

I rip all of my CDs to a folder I labeled New Rips on my iMac internal hard drive because it rips faster and I actually make three copies to three different hard drives (the Mac Mini's external drive, which is my music server, a USB flash drive to take to my work hard drive, which is essentially my backup copy, and to a NAS drive on my home network.  I do know that I could just rip to the Mac mini or the NAS and then copy to the external drive on the Mac Mini and save a step but for ripping speed I do it the other way.  I also know I could use the NAS library as my library for J River, but because of occasional network dropouts, potential hard drive failures, and planned redundancy, etc. I prefer to use the external drive as my source for the music server.  I don't always do the copying at the same time, but when I have made all three copies I then delete them from the new rips file on my iMac.

Anyway, the output directory under XLD is "same as input" and the File Naming is "default".  I never altered it when I installed it.  Perhaps these are not the correct settings?

I do auto import with J River and the path is volume/external hd/digital music files/.

When I add a new file to the external hd, if it is a new artist, I drag the artist folder, which contains a folder with the individual album, into digital music files (artist/album/aiff files). If I already have that artist, I drag the album folder into that artist's folder (album/aiff files) in digital music files.

One thing that I started to do differently a while back, come to think of it, is actually creating individual folders to rip from XLD into that is specific for that album, i.e. new rip/artist/album rather than just new rip folder.  This allowed me, as I added new artists to my library.  Before that the filepath would end up as new rip/album and I would manually create the artist folder on the hard drive or copy into that artists folder if I already had an album by that artist. 

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 02:16:45 pm »

Ok so a questions for you, in an earlier posted you noted these were the paths to your music files:

For example:
/Volumes/Multimedia/Digital Music Folder/Candlelight Red/Reclamation/01 Candlelight Red - Reflecting.aiff, which shows up in a folder named the artist, in this case Candlelight Red. 

The other file will be named the album, in this case Reclamation and the file name will be:
/Volumes/Multimedia/Digital Music Folder/Reclamation/01 Candlelight Red - Reflecting.aiff, which shows up in a folder named the album.

In your most recent posting you list this as a path:

volume/external hd/digital music files/.

So I am curious why the paths are different?

Also to you other question, if you want XLD to rip files by creating the artist folder first then the album, all you need to do is the following:

Open XLD.
Choose Preference and select the File Naming Tab
Change format of filename to "Custom" and type in the following string, "/%A/%T/%n %a - %t"

Try it with one CD to make sure it works correctly. It should create the Artist Folder first (if none exists) and then place the Album within it.

Barr

speeddeacon

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:03:37 am »

I can't explain the file path discrepancy either, regardless of the XLD ripping process.

In MC19, when I open tools->options->libraries & folders->configure auto import it lists volume/external hard drive/digital music files/.

When I look at an individual file in the MC19 library it displays the path as /volumes/multimedia/ digital music folder then one that continues as album/track and one that continues as artist/album/track (as described in the candlelight red example).  I would expect the file to be volume/external hard drive/digital music files/ then artist/album/track but that isn't the case.  It looks like what is happening is that it is importing from my NAS, even though I do not have it as a library location in MC19 nor is it listed as an auto import folder, as the NAS file path is /volume/multimedia/digital music folder/.

I will certainly customize the XLD to import like you describe.  That will be awesome.

speeddeacon

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 09:06:41 am »

Thinking about my last post, what I may try is to add a CD only to my NAS and see if it shows up in MC19.  That should clue me in yo whether my theory is right.  Of course, if it is, I have no idea how to fix it LOL,

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 03:39:53 pm »

Yes try that and see if it makes a difference, good manner by which to narrow things down.

speeddeacon

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 06:12:34 pm »

Sorry it has been a while since I posted. Life issues and being out of town for a week kept me away from the music server for a bit.

I've determined what is causing the descrepancies but still not exactly sure why, but it isn't J River.  I copy the music to the drive as described earlier and ripping directly to either the NAS or the external hard drive doesn't make any difference because it is another piece of software that is writing the duplicate files.  In this case, PS Audio's eLyric. 

I ripped a new CD as before, copied it onto the external hard drive and MC19 loaded it into it's library just like it was supposed to and I thought it was the ripping that was the culprit and the problem was solved.  Then I added the new files to my eLyric library so I can access it through that library if I want.  Everything is hunkie dorie when I notice that in MC19 the files are duplicated.  Ah ha.  I delete all the files and copied it again and, voila!, single copies ... until I add it again to my eLyric library. 

For some reason that program will only load sub folders (i.e. an album that is already in an artist folder) and then when it does, it creates another folder in my digital music file that is the album.  In this case, I ripped Cherubini's Requiem in C minor disc to a folder labeled Cherubini and a sub folder of Requiem containing the individual track files  (I haven't made that custom path in XLD yet).  When I add to eLyric, I have to point to Requiem within Cherubini for it to load, not just Cherubini. Anyway, after eLyric has added it to its library, I have not only that folder but another one labled Requiem with the individual files track files inside.  Thus, MC19 sees that folder and adds it to its library.  So, I'll have to mosey over to the eLyric forum and see what they say. I will try the XLD custom path and give it a try now that I at least know what is causing the problem.  Thanks again for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up