INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb Question: Remote Control Without a Network?  (Read 8154 times)

Jeff_N

• Recent member
Dumb Question: Remote Control Without a Network?
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:11:10 pm »

I use a dedicated, non-internet-connected laptop as a server for my stereo. I'd like to use my Android phone to remotely control MC, but I don't have a WiFi network in my apartment. I don't want to stream to the phone, just use it as a remote control.

My dumb question is, Do I need a network to use, say, Gizmo? I've searched through a bunch of posts and they all seem to assume you have a network set up.

And if the answer's Yes, is there some other solution I could use, like Bluetooth or something?

Should have mentioned, I'd like to be able to browse my library from the phone, not just raise and lower the volume, etc.

Thank you for looking.

- Jeff

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dumb Question: Remote Control Without a Network?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:56:54 pm »

I believe you need a network and an internet connection to use Gizmo. Gizmo is awesome by the way.

GRemote (not Gmote) should work over bluetooth with android. I have only used it with wifi. I don't think it will give you access to your library but it has play, stop, pause, next, previous, volume, direction buttons for browsing in theatre view, and custom buttons you can use to switch to theatre view and playing now. Its supports titling your phone to scroll or move your mouse too.

If you choose to go this route I can share some configuration tips to get it setup for MC.

Jeff_N

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 06:28:42 pm »

Thank you Syndrome but I really wanted to be able to access my library. Oh well.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:11:11 am »

Have you thought of a simple wifi card for your PC, running media server on startup from the lap top?

Jeff_N

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:19:52 am »

Thanks Arindelle,

Actually I just ordered a cheap router. I'll try to create a simple network with just the laptop and phone.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 07:40:51 pm »

You should be able to create one, I purchased this router just for remote control without internet access:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2V511M1602

Plugged it into the laptop usb, connected to it with the laptop wireless and smart phone wireless, done.

I had a short thread about it:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85324.0

Since you live in an apartment, be sure to secure the Wifi...... :)
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 05:13:16 am »

Glad to see you sorted this one out. connect using IP address+port like Zhillsguy suggested in his post and should be good to go.

If you have a problem check firewall in router and AV first

Jeff_N

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 08:28:58 pm »

Well I installed the router and opened a browser on the phone and entered the IP address:52199 and the page comes back "The webpage is not available."

I tried entering the IP and port directly into Gizmo and got "There was a problem connecting to the server." Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

csimon

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 05:50:43 am »

Have you enabled Media Network in MC?

Jeff_N

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 06:21:09 am »

Yes, Media Network is enabled.

What's odd is, initially I tried to use the six character access key MC generated, rather than connect with an IP address. I could see all my music on the Android. But when I pressed Play, it displayed the message "Preparing..." and just stayed that way. Now I can't seem to connect at all.

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 06:34:33 am »

Did you check your router and Firewall(s) as I before? At least double check as this is often a simple fix that people forget. (also in AV).

If you haven't done so, go into your router make sure that port 52199 is available to your LAN. I'd recommend using the DHCP option to assign fixed IP addresses to both your android and the PC. Keep IP address on auto for the PC. Might not be an issue with a one PC network, but its possible that the IP addresses are reassigned or "stolen" by other devices temporarily.

Configure to connect via the now "fixed" IP address (you can type cmd  in the run box in windows and then ipconfig /all if you forget or go back on to your router DHCP page - do not forget to include the port like so 192.168.1.X:52199 as you did before  (not sure but don't think the key access code would work without internet, somebody could confirm so I don't spout endless drivel to unsuspecting victims ;) ...).

csimon

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 06:50:43 am »

No, the access key method won't work without internet. Apparently, if there is no internet available then Gizmo will fall back to the last IP address that it resolved to, but presumably it needs to have connected at least once.

Arindelle

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:54:12 am »

@Thanks for the confirm CS. Also why I suggested verifying the DHCP -- it will effectively force the android to always use the same (MAC) adresses as well .. might not fix this but can at least rule some things out  :)

Jeff_N

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 06:29:09 pm »

Well I think I set IP addresses and MAC addresses for the netbook and the Android in the router.

I still can't connect, but after entering IP addresses about fifty times on the phone, some with port numbers, some without, some with "http://" at the beginning and some without, entering some into a web browser, and some directly into Gizmo, a new thing happened: An IE page opened on the netbook that says Gizmo at the top and shows all my music. Please, does this mean I'm getting closer?

Sorry to be such a PITA. As you can see I'm not much of a networking expert.

csimon

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 06:36:40 pm »

That's Web Gizmo! MC has its own web server and a generic remote control interface that can be accessed from any browser. You will get this if you enter http://<IP address>:52199 into a browser. To use the Android version of Gizmo (or JRemote on iOS) you need to enter <IP address>:52199 into that application rather than a browser.

Jeff_N

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 07:47:09 pm »

Thanks csimon, I know something's going on, I just don't understand what. I've been trying to connect by entering the IP address of my netbook into my phone for a couple days, but I keep getting the "There was a problem connecting to the server" etc error message. I've tried from Gizmo itself and a Web browser.

Also every once in a while it'll ask me for a User Name and Password, which makes no sense. The phone is already connected to the network, and I can't imagine what user name or password it's asking for.

csimon

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 05:08:17 am »

You can use Web Gizmo in the meantime, seeing as you can get into that. It's not a native app but at least it'll work for remote control.  Other than that, I don't know why Gizmo is not working for you if Web Gizmo does. See Zhillsguy's link to his thread above, he had exactly the same question as you and got it working easily.

Jeff_N

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 06:59:42 pm »

Circling back to let you guys know what happened. All good.

I finally said the heck with it and put together an internet-connected network. I never should have strayed off the beaten path and tried to do something different and more complicated from what the original system was designed to do. After entering the MC-generated access key and a couple minor hiccups Gizmo is running on my phone.

Now that I'm using it I don't know how I ever got by without it. Thank you Arindelle, csimon, Zhillsguy and sydnromeofadown for your help and patience. Without you guys to answer my questions I probably would have given up and chucked the router out the window.

csimon

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 03:44:19 am »

Great! Now that Gizmo has connected at least once through Access Key, if you're feeling adventurous you could try pulling the plug on the net and see if it will remember the IP address, if there's no need to have outside access to/from this network.

cnipares

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 11:20:13 am »

I was working with this problem last night, I could access Gizmo externally but not internally from my iPhone.  I happened to start WebGizmo from the server PC (http://localhost:52199/Gizmo/) to confirm access locally.  It turns out that when WebGizmo is running locally the iPhone will connect locally (ipaddress:52199/Gizmo/).  As soon as I close the web page running Gizmo on the server the iPhone immediately drops the connection.  Starting WebGizmo on the server PC is a reasonable solution but I would like to understand why.  Does anyone know?

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 10:46:05 am »

I was working with this problem last night, I could access Gizmo externally but not internally from my iPhone.  I happened to start WebGizmo from the server PC (http://localhost:52199/Gizmo/) to confirm access locally.  It turns out that when WebGizmo is running locally the iPhone will connect locally (ipaddress:52199/Gizmo/).  As soon as I close the web page running Gizmo on the server the iPhone immediately drops the connection.  Starting WebGizmo on the server PC is a reasonable solution but I would like to understand why.  Does anyone know?

I believe your iPhone requires JRemote, not Gizmo. Gizmo is an Android app. Maybe others will chime in.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

csimon

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 01:08:17 pm »

Gizmo is the Android app but WebGizmo is the generic web interface that will work in any browser.
Pages: [1]   Go Up