INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PROCESS: Media Center 19 *32  (Read 1721 times)

DoubtingThomas

• Citizen of the Universe
PROCESS: Media Center 19 *32
« on: December 30, 2013, 06:53:23 pm »

After rebooting there are no "Media Center 19 *32" processes running.  After starting MC19, there are 2 of those processes running.  When I shut MC down, one process remains.

I suspect one is the MediaServer.  Is that right?   I guess I don't get it.  If the MediaServer should remain running after shutting MC down, shouldn't the MediaServer start with Windows?

Having 0, 1 or 2 "Media Center 19 *32" processes running makes it hard for my scripts to make decisions depending on if MC is running or not.

Would it be reasonable to assume.. is it a *RULE* that if there are 2 "Media Center 19 *32" processes running then the actual application is running?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: PROCESS: Media Center 19 *32
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:03:14 pm »

I guess I don't get it.  If the MediaServer should remain running after shutting MC down, shouldn't the MediaServer start with Windows?

From Standard View:
  Tools  >  Options  >  Startup  >  Windows Startup

How MC starts up is user configurable with 4 options:
- Nothing
- MC
- Server
- MC + Server

Your choice.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:08:28 pm »

From Standard View:
  Tools  >  Options  >  Startup  >  Windows Startup

How MC starts up is user configurable with 4 options:
- Nothing
- MC
- Server
- MC + Server

Your choice.

Thanks, that explains why the MediaServer doesn't start till I start MediaCenter.  Why would it continue to run after I shutdown the main application?  I have it configured for "Nothing".  I do have the media server configure to run since I make MCWS calls.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:53:45 pm »

Thanks, that explains why the MediaServer doesn't start till I start MediaCenter.  Why would it continue to run after I shutdown the main application?  I have it configured for "Nothing".  I do have the media server configure to run since I make MCWS calls.

To close Media Server:
- Navigate to the notification area on the Windows desktop (denoted by a small upward pointing triangle in the bottom right for a standard screen configuration).
- Left mouse click on the triangle and bring up the resident applications and look for the MC logo
- Right click on the MC logo (and I get 2 options):  Show MC  /  Close Media Server
- Click Close Media Server
Note that if MC is open the above process won't shut it down but if you're working some Gizmo action, then streaming will die on you.

You can also work through Task Manager to achieve similar ends but the above is how I normally roll.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:21:29 am »

I guess I'm not explaining myself well.  I'm looking for a absolute way to know if the MediaCenter application is running by using a DOS or UNIX shell program - no user interaction or gui involved.

For now I'll see if finding 2 "Media Center 19 *32" processes running works using the pslist utility from my script pgm.

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:52:17 pm »

I'm not seeing a pattern... now I have MC running and playing.... and I only see one "Media Center 19" processing and MCWS calls are working.

Can any MC developers shed some light on this for me?

Is there a way I can know from the process list if the MC app is running?

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 09:39:32 am »

Can any MC developers shed some light on this for me?

I guess I'm not explaining myself well.

You are explaining it perfectly well; sorry can't help you - if it doesn't have a UI like procesexplorer.exe I'm lost. You have probably found the command line options in the Wiki I presume?

It is New Years day 4:30 where I am, but 10:30 in the US. JRiver hdq is closed and even if there were some developers lurking on line, they are probably in no condition to read and certainly not respond  ;D

I'd give it til tomorrow to bump your post  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 10:02:17 am »

Have you been to the DevZone?

Media Server is a small footprint version of MC.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 05:58:02 pm »

I worked around trying to determine if MC is running by looking at processes.   Now if the MCWS call to "MCWS/v1/Playback/Info" fails, then my home automation system assumes the MediaCenter19 application is not running.  So far it seems to be processing correctly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up