INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: creating playlist data without a music file?  (Read 1289 times)

wkrueger

creating playlist data without a music file?
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:00:40 pm »

Newbie just learning MC. I was hoping to be able to use MC to document my collection (mostly 78s) with the flexible metdata format , then backfill with the music files as I was able to get them converted. Is this possible?

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: creating playlist data without a music file?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:32:37 am »

Yes, you can create "Smartlist" type playlists with the meta-data rules you'd like to use.  They may initially be empty lists, but will fill in as you add your music files, based on the meta-data.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:15:23 pm »

I do this all the time. I have preset conditions for my Smartlists that will either add files as they are added to my library or eliminate files from the Smartlist as certain conditions are met i.e. Number of plays, rating etc. you may need to select Refresh or the Smartlist to see most recent changes if these occurred while JRiver is open.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

wkrueger

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 01:40:46 pm »

Thanks very much guys for the responses- I think I understand your answers, but I probably needed to be more clear in my question. I have already set the meta data up for my needs for bringing in a ripped CD from XLD, for instance... but can I manually create a set of meta data, and have it be viewable in a playlist, WITHOUT a music (in my case FLAC) file? So, maybe next year I finally get a chance to convert that 78 to digital, but in the meantime, I can search for the artist or song title in MC without having the FLAC file in MC?

Barring this ability in MC, I guess I could create a placeholder music file in XLD and then just modify metadata for each record in the collection- and then replace the music file at a later date?

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:18:45 am »

MC's metadata is mostly stored related to "file" type objects, so you'd probably need to create placeholders to do as you describe.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up