INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smartlist rule doesn't seem to be working...  (Read 1790 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
smartlist rule doesn't seem to be working...
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:00:38 am »

I have asked and received help in the past (from the forum, of course :) ) on a rule to display pictures that only contain my 2 daughters and no one else. I call this smartlist rule 'sisters' as I intend to use it as a slideshow for them in the future. My problem is that now I have noticed that it only shows pictures through 2008. I have checked my other smartlists, and most of them, but not all, also do this. Can someone please help me tweak this to make it update? I have tried adding a modifier for years, or date, or the like...nothing does the trick. All of my smartlists simply have either 1 or 2 lines depending on how many people I am displaying. If they're this simple, how is this not working??

Here is my sample rule for 2 people:
([=isequal([people],a;r,1)]=1 or [=isequal([people],r;a,1)]=1)

This shows up as 2 lines in the smartlist edit window, by the way.

pgrisham

• World Citizen
Re: smartlist rule doesn't seem to be working...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 05:05:04 pm »

I think I found my answer. For some reason, I have another version of this rule which I'll list below. I guess I had this problem in the past and didn't remember working on it (?). I see on different places that the expressions capabilities is considered an intermediate level thing, but I must say I would put this kind of stuff in the advanced field for sure...I still have NO IDEA why the original rule only works through certain years.

This one is for 3 people:
+[People]=[d],[p],[chet] [=Compare(listcount([People], ;),=,3)]=1 [Filename (path)]=[M:\Pictures" ~sort=[Date]-d

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:23:08 pm »

At some point in MC, spaces were added after semicolon's for nicer formatting.  This would have broken your initial rules where you are comparing against "a;r" instead of "a; r".

Using the +[People] form of query is the better way to handle this.

Do you really need the Compare custom query, since the IS ALL binder (+) requires each of [d], [p], and [chet], and that would automatically be three people?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:45:04 pm »

I would love to be able to answer your question, but the smartlist language is way beyond me :). I can generally make sense of what I see, but I can't imagine figuring out anything past the most basic of expressions. Thanks for your help. It seems like a bad idea to make fundamental changes to the expression language, as it could 'break' many of the existing expressions. I'm sure some people have worked many long hours setting up many useful rules. I'll assume the change was considered important enough to risk this...

MrC

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:46:35 pm »

I'll be more direct - I don't believe you need the Compare.  This should be sufficient:

+[People]=[d],[p],[chet] [Filename (path)]=[M:\Pictures" ~sort=[Date]-d

You'll be happy to know that your post here caused me to realize I never documented the + syntax in Wiki page:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Smartlist_and_Search_-_Rules_and_Modifiers

MrC

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 03:51:46 pm »

I'll be more direct - I don't believe you need the Compare.  This should be sufficient:

+[People]=[d],[p],[chet] [Filename (path)]=[M:\Pictures" ~sort=[Date]-d

You'll be happy to know that your post here caused me to realize I never documented the + syntax in Wiki page:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Smartlist_and_Search_-_Rules_and_Modifiers

I've added some documentation on the + ALL OF operator:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Smartlist_and_Search_-_Rules_and_Modifiers#Negation_and_All
Pages: [1]   Go Up