INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is shuffle in 8.0.214 buggy, or is it supposed to work that way?  (Read 752 times)

LCtheDJ

Is shuffle in 8.0.214 buggy, or is it supposed to work that way?
« on: February 27, 2002, 10:50:34 am »

This is about the shuffle option accessed by clicking on the bottom right button of the player controls section in Mega-Me mode.

I had a long list playing in Playing Now. I clicked the option to shuffle and got a check mark next to the option and my play list got scrambled with the currently playing song moved to position 1.  The play advance moves right down the list.

I again click on the shuffle option and the check mark disappears but nothing else happens.

I again click on the shuffle option and the check mark comes back and my play list got scrambled again with the currently playing song again moved to position 1.

I again click on the shuffle option and the check mark disappears but nothing else happens.

I was expecting shuffle to make the playback jump around the playlist, not have the list re-arranged.  That's ok; now I know what to expect.

But it seems the shuffle option is not an on-off type of thing that needs to be check marked.  It seems that you click it and the playlist gets shuffled - that's all.  No need for a check mark.  Click once, action executed once.  It works like a momentary switch, not an on-off switch.

If I've missed something in how this functions, please explain it to me.

Oh, is there a way to get the playback to jump around the playlist without re-arranging the list?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Is shuffle in 8.0.214 buggy, or is it supposed to work that way?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2002, 11:17:33 am »

LC, that's pretty much how our shuffle works. (sequential playback of a randomized list)

The thinking is that this way you can shuffle your stuff, but still fine tune the order.

And Shuffle is on/off because with it on, songs get shuffled when they're added to Playing Now.

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 11:56:40 am »

Reshuffle is what you're after.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2002, 01:16:41 pm »

Matt I think you're misunderstanding what is meant.
Say I want to play an album in its correct sequence.
Then, while its playing I want to add the shuffled contents of say, a playlist to "Now Playing".
This was easy in V7.

What happens now (and I think that this is what LC is talking about) is that when you turn shuffle on the contents of "Playing Now", which you may have carefully and labouriously ordered, gets mangled.
I'll say again.  Simply turning shuffle on performs a reshuffle of the "Playing Now" list.  Which sucks.

So my response is that yes, shuffle in V8 is either buggy or ill-conceived.

This, combined with the absence of any method by which you can see at a glance whether shuffle is on or not, have rendered shuffle utterly useless in V8.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2002, 01:23:33 pm »

I'll say again. Simply turning shuffle on performs a reshuffle of the "Playing Now" list. Which sucks.

Gee, and I was proud of that idea...  Lots of people turned on shuffle, didn't see anything happen, and got confused.  My thinking was that if you turn on shuffle, you probably want your stuff shuffled.

Anybody else have an opinion / solution?

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2002, 01:33:23 pm »

How about putting the function back to the way it was before, but rename it "Shuffle Files When Added To Playing Now" or something more succint but the same in meaning, and then let the Reshuffle command handle the rest.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2002, 02:37:39 pm »

Maybe a brief explanation of the process could be included in the mouseover popup.  Or maybe the button could be labled instead of just 'Shuffle', 'Scramble the Playlist'.  However the function works, it should be clear to the user so they don't get a big surprise.

I know we're tight for space now, but I liked it better where the settings are constantly in view as they were with v7.

Getting off topic a bit, another thing I liked better about v7 was the ability to turn off display of items in the tree.  I don't have a TV tuner; I'd like to delete the icon from the tree.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2002, 05:46:43 pm »

....I liked it better where the settings are constantly in view as they were with v7.

Oh yeah, we all did.  But I sure hit the big deaf brick wall with that one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up