INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New To MC: How to get compilation albums to show up as one album?  (Read 7993 times)

technovc

• Recent member

Sorry if this has been asked 1000 times, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I just downloaded MC 19, and this is my first use of MC. I have ripped (using dbPowerAmp) three audio discs. When I click on Audio/Albums in MC19, two of them show up correctly (my view of things). Sarah Jarosz/Build Me Up From Bones and Kat Edmonson/Way Down Low both show up as single albums with all the songs in that one album. But Inside Llewyn Davis, an album with multiple artists, shows up as 9 albums (the number of artists on the album, btw). I assume that this creates two problems. One is obvious: a lot of browsing screen real estate is chewed up by the multiple listings. Second, playing the "album" is actually playing one song.

I initially thought that this might be because my folder structure in dbPowerAmp is Artist/Album/Track Title. But I re-ripped Inside Llewyn Davis as Album/Artist/Track and MC19 views it the same way (9 albums).

Any ideas, suggestions or instructions?

Thanks.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New To MC: How to get compilation albums to show up as one album?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:58:39 am »

You need to group by Album Artist (auto) rather than Artist for compilation albums to be grouped together.
By default they will be grouped under (Multiple Artists) if there are multiple artists on the album, though you can edit the Album Artist value to put them under a specific name. (e.g. whoever created the compilation)

technovc

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 09:12:58 am »

Thanks.

Where do I find "group by Album Artist (auto)"? I added a view called Artists & Albums, but that shows up the same way (disaggregated compilation).

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 11:35:42 am »

Thanks.

Where do I find "group by Album Artist (auto)"? I added a view called Artists & Albums, but that shows up the same way (disaggregated compilation).
If you right-click the view in the tree, you should be able to customize what is displayed.

It may differ depending on the view you're editing though.

technovc

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 02:15:07 pm »

Thanks, again.

I created a new view ("Albums Copy" because MC19 discourages editing Albums). That view was then customized to show categories in this order: Album Artist (auto). Unfortunately, the result is the same as before, MC19 relentlessly treats Inside Llewyn Davis as a series of 9 albums, each with one track. I suppose this could be a function of this particular album? But I notice that with this customization, the drop down above the thumbnails reads "Artists". In the Albums view, it reads Albums (like is does on your screen shot).

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 02:54:44 pm »

Select the files in question, and use File > Export Playlist.  Select:

Format: Text File (CSV delimited)
   Included Fields: All Fields
   Output Range: Selection

Save it to the Desktop, zip it, and attach it in a reply here. 
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

technovc

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 04:25:22 pm »

Thanks. Here is the file, as instructed, from the default albums view.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 06:59:11 pm »

The Artist field contains values, but the Album Artist field is empty.  If you want a compilation album to be listed under single artist name, set Album Artist.  Otherwise, "(Multiple Artists)" will be used.  However...

... Your tracks are in separate directories.  MC wants all the tracks for an Album to reside within a single directory (with the exception that multi-disc albums can span directories).  Place all the album tracks in the same directory.  MC's Rename, Copy & Move tool can help you do this.

technovc

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 07:52:04 pm »

Thanks very much. Let me see if I can fix that, though I must be doing something wrong with my ripping approach since only a masochist would want to manually intervene on every compilation album in a library.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 09:19:36 pm »

When ripping, be sure to check the Multiple Arttist box, or assign an Album Artist.

technovc

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 10:17:07 pm »

MrC:

By creating a separate ripping profile for compilations in dbPowerAmp, where the directory structure is simply music files/album/track, the problem is solved.

Thanks!!

MrC

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 10:48:11 pm »

Create file and folder rules in Tools > Options > File Location, under Audio.   See also:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83184.0

aphos

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 07:08:22 am »

Hey, just started using this too, quite simple question:

Is there a way I can get the library to show the

[Album Artist] - [Album name]?

I want the normal albums to be separate (not stacked in artist folders) but the compilations to appear as single albums. This is probably very simple but I haven't figured it out. Thanks.

connersw

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 07:34:14 am »

Welcome Aphos. 

Right Click on Audio -> Add Library View -> Albums -> OK
For more info:  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/View_Schemes

At the top of the Album View tab, next to the word Albums is a tiny down arrow, click on it -> Thumbnails -> Thumbnail Text
In the expression editor, replace [Name] with [Album Artist (Auto)] - [Name]
For more info:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82843.0

aphos

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 08:05:09 am »

Thanks, just what the doctor ordered, I'd send you virtual beer if I could :D

Seems like I had to mangle with the custom "sort by" to get it show in alphabetical artist order, but working great now.

Love this player btw, so big up to the devs too  :)

aphos

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:20 am »

Few more questions:

Is there a way to change the font and make the thumbnail text paragraphed? (so it doesn't go "..." when it doesn't fit on the field)

connersw

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 10:54:47 am »

It will accept carriage returns for multiple lines.  It is center justified by default.  So in your case you could do:

[Album Artist (Auto)]
[Name]

(Side note: Another option is to use the slider in the upper right corner to make your thumbnails larger so that more text fits underneath.)

You can use HTML tags inside the editor for font, italic, bold, etc, but you must double escape the forward slash.  For example:
Code: [Select]
<b>[Name]<//b>You can also change the font for the entire view.
1) Standard View: Options -> Tree & Video -> Advanced -> Select font
2) Theater View: Option -> Theater View -> Appearance -> Select font

MrC

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 11:16:44 am »

Is there a way to change the font and make the thumbnail text paragraphed? (so it doesn't go "..." when it doesn't fit on the field)

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Expression_Language#HTML_Font_Properties

Greyhound

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 03:42:12 pm »

If you will go to "options" , "file location" ,under "audio" , second row  down under "folder rule" default is [artist]\[album]\
You need to "create custom" at the bottom of that drop down menu .When you click or highlight that ,change it to [album]\[artist]\
This works for me . When you you look under audio,albums, they now show up as one album "One Cover Art" instead of an album for each different  artist on the album .  ;D

Greyhound

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 07:51:52 pm »

Sorry if this has been asked 1000 times, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I just downloaded MC 19, and this is my first use of MC. I have ripped (using dbPowerAmp) three audio discs. When I click on Audio/Albums in MC19, two of them show up correctly (my view of things). Sarah Jarosz/Build Me Up From Bones and Kat Edmonson/Way Down Low both show up as single albums with all the songs in that one album. But Inside Llewyn Davis, an album with multiple artists, shows up as 9 albums (the number of artists on the album, btw). I assume that this creates two problems. One is obvious: a lot of browsing screen real estate is chewed up by the multiple listings. Second, playing the "album" is actually playing one song.

I initially thought that this might be because my folder structure in dbPowerAmp is Artist/Album/Track Title. But I re-ripped Inside Llewyn Davis as Album/Artist/Track and MC19 views it the same way (9 albums).

Any ideas, suggestions or instructions?

Thanks.
If you will go to "options" , "file location" ,under "audio" , second row  down under "folder rule" default is [artist]\[album]\
You need to "create custom" at the bottom of that drop down menu .When you click or highlight that ,change it to [album]\[artist]\
This works for me . When you you look under audio,albums, they now show up as one album "One Cover Art" instead of an album for each different  artist on the album .  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up