INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing tags?  (Read 1431 times)

ted_b

• World Citizen
Sharing tags?
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:24:49 am »

I have searched on this topic but only found a small reference to some then-promised sidecar files in an older MC18 thread.

I am helping a hirez label put metadata into their DSF files.  Often I get on teamview and walk them through it.  In many cases I also own the DSD rip of their music, but the tags that we are working on for the new website are much richer in content than what I have (for the majority of the content I had MR C help me tremendously to get a process together to have the labels create Excel spreadsheets of their metadata, then we use his created perl script to get them to JRIver playlists.  Then for samplers/greatest hits collections we simply steal from the actual original album source and then rename and redo track numbers for the collection ).  

So...I was wondering if there was a way for me to grab this metadata for myself.  I will try tag pasting remotely (control-c, then control-shift-v) to my same sampler (which has very basic tags from my personal ISO rip, which I've added to, of course, but nothing like what the label now has) but teamviewer won't always allow me to move/copy them from the remote pc to mine, especially if we are not working on said sampler at the time.  So can I somehow have Tom (the remote pc) send me a mini-database of sorts?  He can certainly google-drive or dropbox me the actual files (permissions notwithstanding), but those are not needed here; I just need the tags.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sharing tags?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:50:06 am »

Tough problem.  A library backup would have the tags, but your files would need to be the same files in the same location to get them if you restored the backup.

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:51:43 am »

Thx...was thinking that too.  Maybe I'll have him download the tracks, but in mp3 (tags still intact).

BTW, teamnviewer will accept copy and paste across remote, but not tag paste (control-shift-v)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:52:41 pm »

There might be a way with a MPL file, right?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »

TeamViewer won't understand MC's special clipboard format for pasting Tags.  So you need another approach.

So long as the Filename field is EXACTLY the same on both ends, an MPL export/import will work fine.

If the Filename field is different, then you need a different approach (or need to munge the MPL so the Filename paths are identical).

With a custom scriptlet, my new pscriptor.pl tool should be able to take your clipboard contents from a system, and update fields on the local system.  (I'd need to test that the code that automates the Copy to the clipboard works correctly across TeamViewer and a remote MC).   You'd need to ensure the sort orders were identical on both systems, as this would be the basis for correlating files on the remote system with the local system.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:51:56 am »

MrC,
I have your wonderful csv2mpl perl script you built for me, but it requires the DSD files be named "track # - catalog #.dsf".  I tried that with one of my existing albums (as I mentioned in the first post, I have many of these albums we are working on).  So I used what was pasted from teamviewer and created a new csv, copied the existing dsf folder into R:\Test (basepath of perl script) and renamed each track appropriately, and the result was not as expected.  It seemed to take the tags from the existing library album even before I could run paste tag (although when looking at the mpl text the more robust tags were clearly in there).  Maybe I should have moved the existing album rather than copy it?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 01:09:02 pm »

If you are just trying to get the tag values for the existing files from some other system, all you need is:

a) an MPL export
   b) munge the Filename Field in each MPL Item entry to match your remote file path/names.
   c) import the Filename-munged MPL on the remote system

It is the critical Filename field where the matching is done.  So the question is, can you create an easily automated mapping of the source Filenames to your destination Filenames?

The limitations in the script I wrote for you were simply to make your job easier; we had to construct a Filename from the metadata alone that pointed to files on disk.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up