INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 8 burns a CD and then crashes on playback  (Read 2904 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
MJ 8 burns a CD and then crashes on playback
« on: February 27, 2002, 04:22:36 am »

Shotgun-
"...Just this release, I burned a CD and when I attempt to play it back; the system crashes..."

Is this an audio or data CD? Does it crash during playback, or right away when MJ scans the disk? Does playback work ok on your other disks? Can you play the troublesome burned CD in other players?

Thanks in advance for the information.
- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

RE:MJ 8 burns a CD and then crashes on playback
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2002, 07:04:35 am »

Update for Shotgun2:

Build 8.0.214 had CD problems for Win95/98/ME users. That's probably what's causing the crash when you try to play the CD. Please try the next build. Sorry about that. Is CD burning working ok for you now?

- John T.

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
  • Health problems prevent almost all activity.Manufacturing Engineer, Ret.Living
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 08:29:22 am »

John - Thank you for replying. I'm glad that apparently you are aware now that this is, in fact happening even though you cannot reproduce it. What kind of system are you using to try and reproduce it? A system specification has never been specified as far as I know, and not all have the latest machine, operating system and all that are available.

No - burning is not working right otherwise. First problem that comes to mind that JRiver has not paid any attention to - and it has been reported several times by me. When I go to burn a CD, MJ tells me that no disk is loaded in the burner drive; when there is! It almost always burns the CD OK even when MJ tells me there is no disk loaded in the burner drive.
Now, there has been short periods of time during a couple of the v8 builds that this has worked correctly - but not in a long while.

Now, you can get away with ignoring me and my reports if you want, that's your right I guess. And JimH, you can delete my posts when they rub you the wrong way or whatever. But the fact still remains that I (and many others) have paid good money to you on faith that says we can build this "pie-in-the-sky" program for you. So, come on - show us how good you are and what you can do. I have been around for - well, whis is the third version, starting with v6 late that I have been involved with, and NONE of them, truthfully, work well for me and my machine.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.214

CPU: Intel Pentium II 349 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 169 MB
Resource Info: System - 74 %, GDI - 90 %, User - 74 %

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4134.0600
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4134.600
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Oh, p.s. CD's play in at least 3 different programs, in my stereo system, in the car player, and at least one other computer system, not running MJ; so the problem IS NOT whether they work or not, but MJ does not work well enough to play them.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2002, 09:40:06 am »

John T

Question...

Before I Re-Installed Windows XP Pro, MJ Used The Goldenhawk Driver, Now It Seems To Be Using The Generic Driver (Grayed And Checked).

I Have Not Attempted To Burn With It Yet, Just Wondering If Re-Installing I Need To Do Something To Get It To use The GoldenHawk Driver Again.

I did try The ASPI Drivers Installed From The Goldenhawk Web Site, And the new free ones from roxio no luck with getting it back to the goldenhawk drivers.

Yamaha 24x CRW3200E
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2002, 10:53:14 am »

> What kind of system are you using to try and reproduce it?

I use a Pentium III 800mhz, 256MB ram, Win2K system. I also test on an XP system, and some older Win98 and ME systems, and my home system (Celeron 500, WinXP).

>...the problem IS NOT whether they work or not, but MJ does not work well enough to play them...

Other than the problem in build 214, can you describe the problems you're having playing CD's? Is it a general problem with playback, or does it only occur with playing CD's? Does it go away if you switch to analog CD playback?

>No - burning is not working right otherwise...

Other than the incorrect status message (no disk loaded), are you having problems burning CD's?  We'll get the status message fixed, but things that aren't "show stoppers" and that we can't reproduce here, are inevitably lower priority than other bugs. When we say we can't reproduce a problem here, it doesn't mean we don't believe it's happening, it's just very difficult to fix. Does the "No disk loaded" message appear even if there is already a blank disk inserted when you click on the "Devices" icon in the tree?

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2002, 11:36:20 am »

KingSparta-
Unfortunately, we've had a problem with the Goldenhawk wnaspint.dll file conflicting with our generic driver. So at least for now, we're not using it. The 4.60 version Adaptec/Roxio wnaspi32.dll works well with MJ.

"...And the new free ones from roxio ..."
Did you mean Adaptec instead of Roxio? I checked out the Adaptec web-site and was VERY surprised to see that they have released their new 4.7 version of Aspi free to anyone who wants to download it. No restrictions on owning Adaptec hardware or software. This is great news for Media Jukebox users. This Aspi should work fine with MJ, but I haven't tried it yet, I'm going to do that now. Here is the link:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?cat=%2fProduct%2fASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70#Microsoft%20Windows%202000

Update: I tested this on Win2K and it works great. Will try it on XP later.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2002, 02:13:25 pm »

>>Did you mean Adaptec instead of Roxio?
Yes, Same Same Since Adaptec Owns Roxio
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
  • Health problems prevent almost all activity.Manufacturing Engineer, Ret.Living
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2002, 03:28:37 am »

I'm terribly sorry but I don't see any improvement from .214 to .215

System crashes when attempting to play CD, etc. I'm afraid that the webb is still being spun, and you have to get rid of the spider before any progress can be accomplished.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.215

Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 154 MB
Resource Info: System - 76 %, GDI - 90 %, User - 76 %

wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2002, 04:15:50 am »

Yes, the cdmanager DLL still has problems in build 215. It will be fixed.

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2002, 11:54:23 am »

Shotgun2-

Does the "No disk loaded" message appear even if there is already a blank disk inserted when you click on the "Devices" icon in the tree?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2002, 02:20:35 pm »

JohnT

I tryed the free ASPI, but it seems after a ASPI check it told me it was not installed correctly, it had two 4.6o files and two 4.70 dlls.

so i tried the 4.60 aspi install and it loaded in the 4.60 correctly and it works now.

i am not sure if it was the 4.70 ASPI install or what that went wrong
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2002, 03:46:30 am »

I don't think you have to worry about the non-matching version numbers with 4.7, here is a section from the readme.txt file from 4.7:

1)   It is important the following pairs of files have matching version numbers:
    (you may not have all of these files; which files you have in your PC depends
    on which Windows platform is in your PC)

a)   wnaspi32.dll  and  aspi32.sys
    b)   wnaspi32.dll  and  apix.vxd
    c)   winaspi.dll   and  wowpost.exe

It is not important, for example, for wnaspi32.dll to have matching version
    number with winaspi.dll. Disregard any such error message from aspichk.exe.
    Also disregard any error message from aspichk.exe regarding files not present.

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2002, 07:34:59 am »

Well, perhaps some progress is being made with .216; but it's still NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Yep.

1> With digital playback on MJ shuts down sometimes when buffering starts. At other times, play volume drops way down too low when buffering starts; reported previously but not investigated as far as I know.

2> Playing in Analog is not acceptable; for one thing "DSP" doesn't work in analog.

BUT; as mentoned previously, don't worry about me and MJ's situation with me because I have several other programs (1) MusicMatch, (2)Windows Media, (3)Winamp; and probably others, that work just fine for me and my system. It's just really unfornutate for MJ that MJ won't work.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.216

Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 109 MB
Resource Info: System - 70 %, GDI - 90 %, User - 70 %

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2002, 08:49:00 am »

Move to top of heap.

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2002, 09:29:21 am »

With digital playback on MJ shuts down sometimes when buffering starts. At other times, play volume drops way down too low when buffering starts; reported previously but not investigated as far as I know.

When you say "shuts down", do you mean the whole program closes down, or just that playback stops?
Does it always occur at the beginning of a track, or sometimes in the middle?
Does it seem to be CD or track specific, so that if it fails on one track, it always fails on that track, or is it just completely random?
About how often does it happen?

Thanks in advance for the info.
- John T.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2002, 09:49:10 am »

JohnT

I reinstalled 4.70 and It is working.

maybe a bad install the first time if the .dll's were running or something else don't know.

Running fine now
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2002, 01:42:39 pm »

Hello once again John - I'll try to clarify what's happening so maybe it can be understood.

I mean that I get an error message that says something to the effect that the program has performed an illegal operation. The program stops runing and has to be reloaded again to do anything.

Varies. As I have tried to explain before several times; when buffering starts you can count on a illegal program operation at just about any time. This is with digital play-back; analogue doesn't buffer but DSP and probably some other features don't work.

Neither one! It is definately PROGRAM specific! I can successfully play CD's that WILL NOT play in MJ. Some are:
1> Home stereo
2> Automobile player: Sony Walkman with cassette adapter.
3> My wife's computer that MJ is not used on. It's too complicated for her to even begin learning how to operate program.
4> Music Match Jukebox v6.1
5> WinAmp
6> Windows Media
7> Xing
8> Some others I don't recall right now

ALL THESE PROGRAMS PLAY CD'S THAT MJ WILL NOT PLAY.

<>

Very seldom do I get 3 track to play completely; One if it's a long track like many classical tracks are.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.216

CPU: Intel Pentium II 348 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 146 MB
Resource Info: System - 73 %, GDI - 90 %, User - 73 %

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2002, 01:14:23 am »

MJ Beta v8.0.217
Well, I just don't know. The .217 build would compete with all the other builds as being the worst yet for me and my system. I don't know what's wrong or how to fix it and I am gettin' awfully tired of testing stuff that ain't working.

Additional problems found:
1> Backup license works I think, but help command to back up license doesn't grey out.
2> Most often after a system crash for performing an illegal operation, upon restart the DSP says it's playing a sound that it ain't.

So, I'll tell you what (and this is the way it's gonna be), whenever you guys feel sure that you have corrected the program problems, send me an e-mail and I will try to test it again.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.217

Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 149 MB
Resource Info: System - 65 %, GDI - 88 %, User - 65 %

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2002, 09:44:05 am »

blank message

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2002, 09:48:54 am »

Shotgun2

i don't know if any one knows this but you can bring the message to the top of the forum by simply editing one of your already posted messages, changing nothing and saving it again.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2002, 11:02:33 am »

King Sparta

Thanks

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2002, 11:40:51 am »

1> Backup license works I think, but help command to back up license doesn't grey out.

This isn't a problem, it's by design. If it greyed out when you made a back up of your license, then you wouldn't be able to make multiple backups. The way it is now, you can make an infinite number of backups.

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2002, 07:28:36 am »

Thanks Doof for making this clear to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up