INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Mac Mini adequate for playing high resolution movie?  (Read 2273 times)

dchin

Is the Mac Mini adequate for playing high resolution movie?
« on: January 08, 2014, 12:47:25 am »

I am presently using a fairly powerful Windows 8 PC in my living room, a quad-core Intel Core i7 3770K with 32GB RAM, and a dedicated Radeon 7850 GPU.  Needless to say, this runs without any problem whatsover. I am thinking of getting a Mac Mini for a bedroom because of its compact size and look.  The specification of the Mac Mini (the one with 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 4 GB RAM plus Intel HD Graphics 4000) pales in comparison with my present PC.  I am particularly concerned about playing 1080p 3D movie, which file size is typically 30 to 40 GB.  Another old PC I have really struggles when playing back such movies.  Can this Mac Mini cope with the load, especially when it does not have a dedicated GPU?  If you have any direct experience with the Mac Mini, I shall be most grateful if you can share it with me.  Thanks.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is the Mac Mini adequate for playing high resolution movie?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:32:19 am »

Media Center for Mac does not do video playback.  In general though, the hardware specs for that Mac should be fine for playing 1080p.  I use a Haswell i3 with HD4400 graphics for my HTPC and it works great.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is the Mac Mini adequate for playing high resolution movie?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:53:56 am »

My current-gen (Ivy) Mac Mini can play 1080p video just fine when booted to Windows in MC19.  It also runs fine when running Windows in a Parallels Windows 7 VM.  I have it set to Red October Standard, though you could probably get it running under ROHQ with some tweaks to madVR.

Mine is a Core i7 @ 2.6GHz model (the top CPU) with a fusion drive.  I've also subsequently upgraded it to 16GB of RAM, though it worked fine when booted directly to Windows before this with the stock 4GB RAM.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up