INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 8.x takes performance hits...  (Read 910 times)

LCtheDJ

Media Jukebox 8.x takes performance hits...
« on: February 26, 2002, 03:07:48 pm »

I'm finding that in recent and current betas of v8, that sometimes I have a huge delay from the time I click a control until the action takes place.  Examples: click the play button on the player, 8 seconds later the music starts.  Click stop, the music fades for about 2 seconds (it's set for fadeout slow), then 6 seconds after the music goes silent, the play button finally changes from the pause symbol ( || ) to the play symbol ( > ).  The Fireball vis is acting really jumpy and slow.  Windows (2000 Pro) Task Manager shows 87% cpu usage (900 Mhz AMD Athlon Thunderbird, 512 MB ram).

This can't be right.  So I start trying things.  I start closing Netscape windows (8 were open).  The cpu usage drops. I get down to only 2 Netscape windows open and the cpu usage drops to 2%, the vis starts flying, the controls work instantaneously!

Note to self and others:  For best performance of Media Jukebox, keep Netscape windows to a minimum.

Has anyone else found performance degradation due to other processes running concurrently?   Can anything be done about it besides shutting down the other processes?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Media Jukebox 8.x takes performance hits...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2002, 03:11:42 pm »

Netscape, that must be the problem

Look how long the court case has dragged on, I think it is effecting there software.

and a connection to Ted Turner does not help
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 04:30:41 am »

I also use netscape (version 4.7) and have the same problem. Hate to switch.
deerhunter

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2002, 04:37:05 am »

Media Jukebox visualizations run at a low priority.  If something else wants the CPU, the visualizations give it to them.

About the "Fade Stop", that's how it works... it "locks" until the fade is done, and since it uses the volume control to do the fade, the smoothness will depend on the implementation of the hardware / driver.

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2002, 05:50:44 am »

Netscape 6.2 can be the problem,but NOT 4.7
7.2 does not have any problem with any Netscape.So can be for a part on the 8 side

LCtheDJ

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2002, 09:24:35 am »

Sorry zevele1, but I'm using Netscape 4.79.

Matt, I understand that the play button doesn't come back until the fade is done, but this is waiting another 6-8 seconds AFTER the fade is done and music is no longer playing.

Anyway, I'll just be sure to keep other processes to a minimum when playing music is top priority.
Pages: [1]   Go Up