INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mc 19.0.67 "something went wrong with playback" [Solved]  (Read 1587 times)

Tassie57

mc 19.0.67 "something went wrong with playback" [Solved]
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:06:53 pm »

I am a new user and a relative novice in all things technical. My test version of MC 19 seemed Ok so I purchased licence.
I have been busily adding files from previously ripped flac library on external HD and tidying up tags as I go,all looked fine.
However, since my intial testing for playback , which worked perfectly, I now find that I cant get any music files to play.
I dont know what I might have done in the way of accidentally changing options(if at all).
I keep getting the message "something went wrong with playback" as per attached.

I might add that I have tested my PC for Windows sound set up and the test tone works, as does ad hoc playback outside of MC19 for internet music files.
I am stumped.
Help - low tech and small words - would be appreciated. Thanks.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: mc 19.0.67 "something went wrong with playback"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:38:25 pm »

Hi and Welcome,

Couple of things worth trying;
1) The latest version of MC is at the top of this board (your version is fairly old)
2) Under Tools --> Options --> Audio check was "Audio Device" you have selected in the Drop Down, start with "Default" and see if that plays.  Try the other options.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:50:34 pm »

No worries. I reckon we'll be able to get you rolling in short order.

I'd expect that if you've tested MC then you were able to get audio playback happening at least once, so it's unlikely that you're dealing with something major.

First thought, "Is MC19.0.67 the latest stable version?"
From Standard View, check by navigating to Help > Update Channels > Stable (check)
Then check for updates (Ctrl+J) and let MC do its thing.

Second thought, "Have you checked the Wiki?" .. i.e. this page of useful help topics?
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

From that page, you'll find this entry on Audio Setup:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

Have you worked through the noted steps and where do you strike problems? Normally the "if all else fails" option is to pick "Direct Sound" in Audio Output Mode. Have you tried this? What happens?

Also, can you tell us a little bit about your hardware? PC, soundcard, amp/speakers? If you've got some complex, HiFi audio rig with an oddball interface or proprietary audio driver, then that may indicate other avenues of investigation.

[EDIT: Oops - jmone beat me to it. Posted with some double up because it was already written. Some slightly different ideas that might help anyway.]
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Tassie57

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:26:13 pm »

Thanks for your thoughts so far.
I am using Vista Ultimate (64) by the way and an HP Pavilion laptop.
My testing so far, apart from simple playback on the PC itself - using headphones, was also to run my SPDIF output to the back of my Cambridge 840C and as I said, this all worked fine in the initial tests.(both wav and flac files).

I am looking now at Tools/Options/Audio/ and Audio Device - simply says"more", beneath which is "device settings" &  "the selected output mode does not have any customs settings".  No sign of a "Default"

Also, Help/Update Channels - Stable is checked and I did just try updates again and nothing new there.
I have gone into Windows - sound options and noted that the exclusive box is checked, so I tested with unchecked - presumably that is what is meant by "Direct sound" - no change.

What are the risks of deleting MC19 and reloading from scratch?
I have edited tags on some 5-6,000 files - and saved "from library".

Ever hopeful,
Thanks,

Tassie57

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:51:53 am »

:o ;D
Problem solved.
Backed-up the library to a separate hard drive, un-installed MC19 and re-installed.
This time MC19 came up with audio options that must have dropped out at some time.
Restored the library from back-up and playback of music files is all Ok now.
Onwards and upwards,
Cheers

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 03:25:11 am »

Thanks for the feedback - glad you got it sorted!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up