INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help to set up Lynx Two-B in a 5.1 configuration  (Read 5066 times)

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
Help to set up Lynx Two-B in a 5.1 configuration
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:42:02 am »

I want to toss my Marantz surround processor out of the window and use JRiver 19 and a Lynx Two-B soundcard for a surround setup. Five speaker and several subwoofers. I'll use a miniDSP unit beteen the Lynx Two-B and multiple subwoofers.
From what I understand I can check the settings with REW and using JRiver Asio. Correct?

I need help with the following:

1. How to set up the Lynx correctly under audio device. If I choose Lynx Asio, what settings do I put under Device Settings?

2. How to link all the outputs in Lynx volume mixer so the volume control works with all channels.

Printscreens would be very helpful here.

And if there's anything else that's needed to know to get this to work. The manual for Lynx isn't exactly helping a lot.

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Help to set up Lynx Two-B in a 5.1 configuration
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 11:29:25 am »

Not much response here. However, I got some help from Lynx settings things up.

Still wondering about a few things:

1. Is it possible to run speakers fullrange while also sending the desired frequency range to subwoofers?

2. I've used the liveloopback URL and it seems to work smoothly with Asio for other programs. I don't see any lipsync problems. But how can I measure the response in REW? I have a Steinberg sound card. I've tried using both Asio and Java with the sound card but it only measures the speaker's response and not my subwoofers. Doesn't the liveloopback work with REW?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 12:14:58 pm »

Not much response here. However, I got some help from Lynx settings things up.

Still wondering about a few things:

1. Is it possible to run speakers fullrange while also sending the desired frequency range to subwoofers?

The room correction DSP module has several bass redirection options.  One of them is "copy bass to subwoofer."  That options will leave your speakers full range, but also send content below the crossover to the subwoofer.  This can also be accomplished with greater customization using the parametric EQ modules, if you want to accomplish something that room correction wont allow, just ask and I can suggest some settings.

2. I've used the liveloopback URL and it seems to work smoothly with Asio for other programs. I don't see any lipsync problems. But how can I measure the response in REW? I have a Steinberg sound card. I've tried using both Asio and Java with the sound card but it only measures the speaker's response and not my subwoofers. Doesn't the liveloopback work with REW?

Loopback definitely works with REW, but you may need to check your output settings in REW.  If you're using WASAPI loopback, In REW with java you need to select the system default soundcard that you're using for loopback (not the output device in JRiver).  If you're already doing that, it might help if you could explain your bass redirection setup a little more?

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 12:58:19 pm »

Thank you mwillems. Didn't know what "copy bass to subwoofer" did. Then that's settled.  :)

I guess I'm using Asio loopback. Considering I'm using Lynx Asio under "Output Mode" in JRiver. That's Asio loopback when liveloopback is chosen as URL, right?
It definetly works with other programs and browsers. I can both hear the subwoofers playing and I can see in the Lynx mixer that signal is active for the subwoofer channel. Under the Windows Audio panel, I simply chose something I'm not using (HDMI output).

So if Asio loopback works in REW, what do I choose for my Steinberg sound card?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 01:22:57 pm »

Thank you mwillems. Didn't know what "copy bass to subwoofer" did. Then that's settled.  :)

I guess I'm using Asio loopback. Considering I'm using Lynx Asio under "Output Mode" in JRiver. That's Asio loopback when liveloopback is chosen as URL, right?
It definetly works with other programs and browsers. I can both hear the subwoofers playing and I can see in the Lynx mixer that signal is active for the subwoofer channel. Under the Windows Audio panel, I simply chose something I'm not using (HDMI output).

So if Asio loopback works in REW, what do I choose for my Steinberg sound card?

It actually sounds like you're doing WASAPI loopback, not ASIO loopback.  There are two key legs in the audio chain:  

1) there's the loopback input into JRiver (which can be WASAPI or ASIO), and
2) Your actual output device (which can be WASAPI, ASIO, etc.)

The two legs can use different protocols (one can be WASAPI, and the other ASIO, etc.)

In your case it sounds like your JRiver output is ASIO to the Lynx, that's 2), not 1).  It if you're opening live loopback and using your unused HDMI output for the loopback device then you're using WASAPI loopback for the input, not ASIO loopback (which doesn't require a separate audio device, but does require ASIO-capable software).  WASAPI loopback is more flexible because most windows software can't output to ASIO.

So if I'm right that you're using WASAPI loopback, the solution is to choose your HDMI output device as the output in REW using java, not ASIO.  That will cause REW to output to the HDMI, which JRiver will pick up on the loopback and re-route to your ASIO output on the Lynx.

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 03:28:44 pm »

Ok. Seems like I'm using Wasapi loopback.

So I have to use Java and not the Asio Steinberg driver in REW.

I've attached two pictures. First I have to choose the Output Device and obviously here I've to pick the Steinberg sound card since that's I'm using to measure with. The Steinberg outputs are connected to Lynx' inputs.

The other option is Line Out and here I can either choose Default or Line-out. I've tried both but get the same result; only the left speaker is being measured. No sub included.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 04:11:22 pm »

Just to be clear, using the wasapi loopback then you are successfully measuring using rew but the problem is it is not measuring the physical devices you want? ie this is a routing problem not a loopback problem per se?

If so then I usually find it useful to open the spectrum analyser bit of the dsp to see which channels are actually involved in playback. IME playback to the default device in rew means mono playback to either channel 1 (left) or 2 (right) of that device. This arrives in jriver as that channel and so then you may need to rearrange your jriver config accordingly to ensure the routing you want is applied. I can't tell exactly what your setup is from the preceding posts so can't comment on exactly what needs to change.

FWIW this is one reason why I personally prefer asio line in, given the choice, as the i find the routing more obvious.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 07:25:02 pm »

I've attached two pictures. First I have to choose the Output Device and obviously here I've to pick the Steinberg sound card since that's I'm using to measure with. The Steinberg outputs are connected to Lynx' inputs.

The other option is Line Out and here I can either choose Default or Line-out. I've tried both but get the same result; only the left speaker is being measured. No sub included.

I'm a little confused about your setup. 

If you're outputting to the Steinberg directly in REW, you're not routing the sound through JRiver using loopback; instead you're outputting directly to the steinberg in REW.  That will bypass all processing in JRiver.  Additionally the Steinberg UR 22 only has two analog outs, so I'm not sure how you would measure the sub if you're using it for output? 

I would suggest setting your output device in REW as the HDMI output that you're using for loopback, and then choose the Steinberg for your REW input.  That way, the REW output will be sent through JRiver and all routing will happen as you configured it.

Maybe you could explain how your system is physically wired (i.e. what is physically plugged into the Steinber when you measure)?

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:05:29 am »

I'm a little confused about your setup. 

If you're outputting to the Steinberg directly in REW, you're not routing the sound through JRiver using loopback; instead you're outputting directly to the steinberg in REW.  That will bypass all processing in JRiver.  Additionally the Steinberg UR 22 only has two analog outs, so I'm not sure how you would measure the sub if you're using it for output? 

I would suggest setting your output device in REW as the HDMI output that you're using for loopback, and then choose the Steinberg for your REW input.  That way, the REW output will be sent through JRiver and all routing will happen as you configured it.

Maybe you could explain how your system is physically wired (i.e. what is physically plugged into the Steinber when you measure)?

Let me first explain how I measure when using a surroundreceiver or a crossover unit like miniDSP since this will explain how I have connected things now. The surroundreceiver or miniDSP takes care of the bass routing. The Steinberg UR22 sound card is connected from its outputs to the receiver's or crossover's inputs (left and right) and mic to the input of Steinberg. And using REW I can measure left and right channel. This will include the subwoofer and bass routing the receiver or miniDSP is set up for.

In this case I have the Lynx Two-B sound card instead of a receiver/miniDSP which is connected directly to power amps. Now the processing, EQ and bass routing is happening in REW. Ok, I'm also using a miniDSP between the Lynx and amps for the subs because I'm using several subwoofers but that shouldn't change anything.
So I'm thinking in order to measure the response with the JRiver processing I connect my Steinberg UR22 (the outputs) to Lynx' inputs. Just like I would with a surroundreceiver and the bass routing, etc, should be included in the measurement. But obviously the loopback isn't working this way.

Maybe I have to choose Steinberg in the windows audio panel as the default audio engine before running the loopback in JRiver? If so, do I have to use Java for the Steinberg or can Asio be an option?

If it makes it easier I could probably meausure with the Lynx directly from it's inputs. However the Lynx doesn't have phantom power so I would have to use a preamp for the mic between. I would therefore prefer using the Steinberg sound card for measuring if that's possible. I need some explanation for how to do it though.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:56:54 am »

When using loopback you set the default output device as some unused device, often this is your motherboard on board audio. You then set REW to use the Java driver and use the default output device. Since REW is using the java driver then you need to make sure your recording device is conducted in the windows audio settings too rather than going direct via asio.

Once you have this working in REW then you open loopback in jriver and it routes the default audio device (that rew is outputting to) through its output path (which will be your lynx 2b).
Pages: [1]   Go Up