INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change BIT depth?  (Read 3706 times)

gubab

• Recent member
How to change BIT depth?
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:10:30 pm »

MC19 on Mac mini OS 10.9.1 is connected via HDMI to my AV Processor (Mcintosh MX 150) and works fine. I further have connected the Mac mini via Toslink to the optical digital input of my CD Player (Mcintosh MCD500) that is connected to the Mcintosh Preamplifier C1000P. When selecting the preamplifier, MC19 does´t deliver any sound. I choose the digital output in the Mac mini Audio control panel .  In DSP Studio the output format is constantly set to 96 Hz. Output is 96Hz 32BIT. I wonder if the 32BIT output is the problem since my CD Player will accept only up to 96Hz/24 Bit. How can I change the BIT depth? Any other hint, why the CD Player won't play the signal coming from the Mcintosh MCD500?

digitalzed

• Recent member
Re: How to change BIT depth?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:53:38 pm »

Did you go to Audio Midi settings in the utility folder and make sure your device is showing up there and the volume is enabled?

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:13:13 pm »

To make things easier to troubleshoot, disconnect the HDMI cable to the AV processor and just leave the Toslink connection to the CD player.

Next see if via iTunes you can output sound to the CD Player.

A noted above, do launch Audio MIDI setup and ensure output is set to your CD Player. Ensure that Format is set to the highest rate of your CD player (DAC).

Next launch MC. Check Tools->Options->Audio

Ensure under Audio Device you CD player is selected.

See if any of the above works.

Also ensure if you have System volume enabled that you do have it on Maximum output.

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

gubab

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »

Bplexico and Digitalzed,,

thank you for your help.

1) Itunes puts out music to the CD - Player
2) I have not known the Audio midi setup: I can see:
      Built in  input
      Built in output

Do I have to create a new device? If so - create aggregate device or create multi output device?
I tried to create a multi-output device (hopefully to my CD-Player and to my AV-Processor), but when having a new device created on the right side I only see "built in output"

JRiver displays under devices "built in output" - nothing else. So I guess the problem is the right Midi setup. Any hint hoe to create the correct devices in the Midi setup?

Thanks you for your help

Burkhard

gubab

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:46:17 pm »

I now reconnected my HDMI cable to the AV-Pre Pro. Now HDMI shows up in the device list in audio midi settings and in the device list in JRiver. The Toslink does not show up.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:10:17 pm »

Ok since Toslink works to your CD player with iTunes, try this:

Disconnect HDMI cable

Connect Toslink cable

Reboot and then launch MC.

If built in output is all that is displayed under MC use that.

Make sure that volume is not turned down. In tools->options-audio choose Volume and set it to Disabled volume.

Try playing a song.

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

gubab

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:55:16 pm »

bplexico,

now I got a bit further. Built in output  = Toslink.

When I choose "built in" in Midi Setup and in JRiver "built in" as device I now am able to play JRiver to the CD Player. When I change audio midi setup to HDMI and choose HDMI in JRiver I can play JRiver through HDMI to the Processor MX150. So far so good.

But I would like to have output to CD player and Processor simultaneous without going into setup each time. I then added a new multi-out device in midi setup (HDMI + built in). I can choose this new combined device in JRiver too. Now this also works for the device that is playing at the moment. But when chaining from CD to Processor or vice versa I will have to go to the Midi setup again and JRiver Audio setup. Is there a work around or do I have to live with this little inconvenience?
I appreciate your help very much.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 06:53:28 pm »

Try setting up a Zone for the second device (HDMI).

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

I will be honest, I don't have any experience with multiple output devices on one Mac (other than DLNA), so no guarantee this will work.

Barr

gubab

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 03:18:42 pm »

Bplexico,

i set up two zones - one for CD and one for Processor. I tried with multiple output device first and thereafter I tried with choosing the single correct device. I was not successful. At no time both seemed to work. So I deleted the new zone and deleted the Multiple output device.

Now I choose the correct device (built in or HDMI) in Audio midi setup and  in JRiver. This is a little laborious - but it woks. I might do some more reading about multiple audio output devices in Mac OSX.
But you helped a lot to get both the CD player and the processor to work.

Thanks again and kind regards
Burkhard

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 04:20:41 pm »

Well at least have a workaround, I will do some digging too, as I suspect there must be others who use MC in a similar manner.

Barr
Pages: [1]   Go Up