INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Restoration Issue  (Read 1213 times)

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
Library Restoration Issue
« on: January 12, 2014, 11:37:28 am »

Had to re-install Windows 8.1 yesterday and was successful in re-installing Media Center. I had backed up the library files to a backup drive and once Media Center was running I restored the library from the backup. All appeared to go well and the library shows all my music, however. no songs will play as they can't be located. In Options I have gone to File Location to indicate that the music lives on an external firewire drive. Still no luck in getting the files to play. What am I missing? How can I fix the links? There are about 150,000 songs in library and I do not want to re-import and analyze if I can avoid it as last time it took about four days to complete the analysis. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library Restoration Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:01:46 pm »

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:19:14 pm »

Thanks, I read through that section, but I guess I don't see how it is applicable. The files have not been moved. They are still on the same drive and location they were in previously. They are on the same external drive hooked up to the same computer as before. The only thing that happened was that I re-installed Win 8.1 to the computer and had to re-install Media Center. I then restored the library file from a backup. But the music never moved.  The file names in the library point to the correct locations.

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:37:46 pm »

Ok, I think I see what happened. Previously the path to the external drive had been shown going to a folder at on drive F. For whatever reason, once I had done the re-installation of Windows, that drive is now being shown as drive G. So I need to be able to change the path on all the file names from F/ to G/ (the rest of the path being the same) or figure out how to get Win 8.1 to show the drive as F again instead of G.

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:18:45 pm »

Was able to fix the issue by changing the Drive Letters in Windows and switched the external back to Drive F. Restarted and Media Center recognized the file path. All is good. Sorry to impose this issue when the solution was so simple. Have only been using Windows since October. Had been a Mac guy but switched because I wanted to take advantage of using Media Center in theatre view which the mac version doesn't have. So am just stumbling through the learning curve with how Windows works.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 03:13:58 am »

You can just select your files and "repoint" the data base to your G drive in library tools renamemove (its a choice in the drop down box top left) if you don't want to physically rename the drives
Pages: [1]   Go Up