INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High Resolution Audio Playback  (Read 7636 times)

russe41

• Recent member
High Resolution Audio Playback
« on: January 13, 2014, 07:40:46 am »

I've been playing with the J River software lately and when I tried to set the playback settings to 24bit instead of 16 bit in DSP & output format--bit depth
 the software stops and tells me it will change back to 16 bit if I want to keep listening.
Am I doing something wrong or is it set up correctly. Also if this is correct am I getting full 24 bit depth when I play high res downloads?
It's a HP pavilion with windows 7 hooked up with usb to HRT music streamer II+ dac, using j river 16.

AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURE OUTPUT FORMAT
            THIS FORMAT WOULD WORK:  96000HZ,16 BITS PER SAMPLE,2 CHANNELS
    WOULD I LIKE TO HAVE DSP STUDIO > OUTPUT FORMAT SETTINGS CHANGED AUTOMATICALLY?

It makes me believe I'm not getting full resolution for hi res files I bought.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Expert help needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 07:46:00 am »

I've been playing with the J River software lately and when I tried to set the playback settings to 24bit instead of 16 bit in DSP & output format--bit depth
 the software stops and tells me it will change back to 16 bit if I want to keep listening.
Am I doing something wrong or is it set up correctly. Also if this is correct am I getting full 24 bit depth when I play high res downloads?
It's a HP pavilion with windows 7 hooked up with usb to HRT music streamer II+ dac, using j river 16.

AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURE OUTPUT FORMAT
            THIS FORMAT WOULD WORK:  96000HZ,16 BITS PER SAMPLE,2 CHANNELS
    WOULD I LIKE TO HAVE DSP STUDIO > OUTPUT FORMAT SETTINGS CHANGED AUTOMATICALLY?

It makes me believe I'm not getting full resolution for hi res files I bought.

That error normally means that the output device doesn't support the bitdepth you're attempting to play, but the HRT should be able to play 24 bit 96KHz, so there must be something else at work.  What are your audio device settings in JRiver?  Are you using WASAPI, or something else?  Did you verify that you don't have your Mother Board soundcard selected as the output?

russe41

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 07:56:42 am »

Is there a page here to refer to and go through setup one setting at a time?

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 08:30:07 am »

Is there a page here to refer to and go through setup one setting at a time?

No, not really -  You say that you are using version 16 not 19, I no longer have that installed thats a couple of years old. Have you read the Wiki http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup ? seems to have not been upgraded to 19.

It could be a simple tweak to the config - like setting your bit depth to 24 bits in DSP output settings. Or it could be linked to a USB connection/streamer that does not support the higher rez format -- Or it could be that version 16 doesn't support high rez over DLNA (probably not but I don't remember sorry) Much easier to see what's going on if you upgrade to version 19 ;)

russe41

• Recent member
Re: High Resolution Audio Playback
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:32:24 am »

Yes MC 16 is what I'm using

russe41

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:32:01 pm »

I found something written about the same issue and they tried
WASAPI - Event Style instead of WASAPI and it seems to of worked, I receive no warning.
What can I expect if I upgrade to MC19?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:47:57 pm »

Just download and install it to see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up