INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the HTPC world....New to JRiver...  (Read 4774 times)

maintainin

• Recent member
New to the HTPC world....New to JRiver...
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:20:27 am »

Hi all,

I just built my first HTPC last week and after tons of reading decided to use JRiver as my media center. I downloaded and messed around with it some this weekend getting familiar with the settings and layout. I have a couple of questions though regarding windows media center and netflix interacting with jriver. I plan on putting a ceton tv tuner in the htpc and from what I've read I am pretty much stuck with WMC in regards to watching live premium and recording premium content. My first question is, is there an easy way to get back and forth between jriver and WMC? Like a shortcut or plug-in that can be installed between the two? Also, after the content is recorded to the HTPC thru WMC do I still have to use WMC to view the recorded content or can I use jriver MC?

Pertaining to netflix, I'm using windows 8.1 pro and I've read that the windows 8 Netflix app is much better than the netflix built into WMC and jriver. Something to do with silverlight limitations? Is there a way to easily launch the windows netflix app from jriver instead of having to back out if jriver completely and go to the Start screen? Thanks!

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New to the HTPC world....New to JRiver..
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:30:19 pm »

Much of this is easy with a universal remote. You can just program a button to exit (alt+f4) and buttons to open MC or WMC. in windows 7 I pin the programs to the task bar and then use the command 'windows key' + whatever number of places the program is from the windows button. So my MC command us windows key+5. It all goes very fast once programed. You will need an IR receiver to us we a remote.

MC can play TV that was recorded in WMC without a problem. Just make sure you include the directory in the auto import.

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:33:31 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I do have a harmony one remote with an IR receiver that I plan on trying to program. I was doing some research on IOS apps since I have an ipad and ran across this one:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id560440812?mt=8

It basically turns any apple apple device into a touchpad. It works pretty darn good. I see there are also some specific jriver apps. I was just wondering if there was a way to actually put a shortcut into jriver that say netflix or wmc that actually take you straight to those programs. I did a little more searching and did find a thread on this very forum about the same netflix question I had:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76530.0

Looks like it might be the solution I'm looking for?

maintainin

• Recent member
Re: New to the HTPC world....New to JRiver...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:37:08 pm »

http://www.itsjustwhatever.com/downloads/windows-8-metro-app-launchers/

So the metro launcher that was talked about in the second link in my last post works pretty well for adding metro apps to theater view. I deleted the default netflix and added a new netflix that opens the metro netflix app. Hitting esc exits and takes you right back to theater view. I also did this for the weather. Deleted the default weather app and added the bing weather app which is much prettier. Also added google search. As mentioned above, I don't know how much this works better than programming hotkeys on a remote, as I really don't have a whole lot of experience with this stuff, but if you are wanting to add windows 8 metro apps to theater view that take you back to theater view when they're closed this is pretty spiffy. Can you even program hot keys to do that? Say program one to open the netflix app and then take you back to theater view when you close it?

I added a link for WMC in theater view, but I really don't want to hit escape and close out the program. I really want WMC to be running all the time right? If I'm using it for live tv and recording functions? I'm guessing that's one I would have to program a hot key for? Do you have to use hotkeys to move back and forth between WMC and jriver without closing both? Or is there a shortcut you can add inside WMC to take you back to jriver theater view?

rec head

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:31:45 am »

WMC does not need to be running all the time to record TV.

I don't know anything about W8 but it sounds like you have it running nicely.

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:09:59 am »

Interesting. I figured the program would have to actively be open. Thanks!

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 07:31:04 pm »

OK, so help a noob out...

Finally got this thing in the media rack and hooked up to my 58" samsung plasma. Couple of things...

I have multiple different outputs options. I know wasapi is considered the one to choose but I have a few of them to select from

Realtek Digital Output(Realtek high definition audio)[Wasapi]
Realtek High Definition Audio [Wasapi]
Samsung-4(nvidia high definition audio) [Wasapi]

I also have the above for directsound. The Samsung option is the one checked at the moment and I can confirm that dts-hd ma is hitting my receiver(I have it set to bitstream).I'm guessing the Realtek option is only if you are connected to the motherboards hdmi output and not the video card?

The next portion is video. I was using an Mkv rip of Pacific rim to look at this stuff. The movie is 24hz but it's hitting my receiver at 60hz and naturally my tv at 60hz. What do I need to change to output 24hz film sources? Something in the video card?

And finally, I remember reading the other day about viewing modes. I think it was windowed, overlay and exclusive? Which of these is the best to use and where do you find the setting at? Thanks

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 07:59:55 pm »

Realtek Digital Output is your motherboard's S/PDIF connection.
Realtek High Definition Audio is the motherboard's analog output.
"Samsung-4" is your video card's HDMI output.

Check Tools > Options > Video > Display Settings for refresh rate switching

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 09:12:00 pm »

Realtek Digital Output is your motherboard's S/PDIF connection.
Realtek High Definition Audio is the motherboard's analog output.
"Samsung-4" is your video card's HDMI output.

Check Tools > Options > Video > Display Settings for refresh rate switching

Thanks that did it! Getting 24p now. So according to the OSD on screen I'm getting a frame drop about every 2.88 minutes. Is that considered pretty good?

One more thing for this evening. Just curious as to see what gpu load is. Is there somewhere to check inside MC or do you have to run the video in an window and pull up something like gpu-z?

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 11:19:28 pm »

Thanks that did it! Getting 24p now. So according to the OSD on screen I'm getting a frame drop about every 2.88 minutes. Is that considered pretty good?
No - I would suggest that you disable bitstreaming and enabling VideoClock to prevent dropped/repeated frames.
Other than at the start of playback, or after seeking, you should not have any dropped or repeated frames.

If you are using madVR for playback (it sounds like you are) I would suggest disabling Media Center's refresh rate switcher and using its display mode switcher instead. (details of how to do so are in the madVR guide at the bottom of my post)

One more thing for this evening. Just curious as to see what gpu load is. Is there somewhere to check inside MC or do you have to run the video in an window and pull up something like gpu-z?
You will need to use a third-party tool to monitor GPU usage. (I use Nvidia Inspector)

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 12:02:24 am »

I am using madvr on HQ setting. I did go thru your guide earlier. On the switching, you mean the section where you enter "1080p24, 1080p60..."....?

I did go into the scaling algorithm section and set to jinc3 on the chroma and luma settings according to your guide. This adds extra quality above what I am getting by just setting it to madvr HQ?

About the gpu load I was wondering more if you could see that while the full video is on the screen? I did exit out of theater view while the movie was still playing and used gpu-z to see load. It was around 15%.

I'm impressed. This is one hell of a product.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 02:41:18 am »

I am using madvr on HQ setting. I did go thru your guide earlier. On the switching, you mean the section where you enter "1080p24, 1080p60..."....?
Yes, use this rather than the options in Tools → Options → Video → Display Settings if you're using madVR.

I did go into the scaling algorithm section and set to jinc3 on the chroma and luma settings according to your guide. This adds extra quality above what I am getting by just setting it to madvr HQ?
Yes, Jinc 3 with the anti-ringing filter is the highest quality scaling offered by madVR.

About the gpu load I was wondering more if you could see that while the full video is on the screen? I did exit out of theater view while the movie was still playing and used gpu-z to see load. It was around 15%.
Most of these tools will graph performance in the background. If you disable Fullscreen Exclusive Mode (which may reduce performance) it should let you view them on top of the video.

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 08:31:45 pm »

I'll get a copy of the dtsdecoder.dll and try out having jriver decode and enable the videoclock. Although even dropping a frame every 2.89 minutes bitstreaming I can't tell at all. It just looks GOOOOOD. Sure beats the hell out of streaming mkv's' to a roku. Just need to get a cc tuner on order and try that out. Then I can kick tivo and their $15 monthly fee to the curb.

I really appreciate all your all's help! I definitely plan on purchasing when my trial ends. Excellent product with excellent support.

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 01:09:08 am »

MC can play TV that was recorded in WMC without a problem. Just make sure you include the directory in the auto import.

I think I know the answer to this but just want to be sure. When you say MC can play back TV recorded in WMC do you mean just "copy freely" recordings and not stuff flagged "copy once"? I'm guessing I would still have to use WMC to view any recordings from like HBO, Cinemax, etc....?

rec head

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 06:29:01 pm »

I have no idea. I only record OTA.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 06:57:50 pm »

I think I know the answer to this but just want to be sure. When you say MC can play back TV recorded in WMC do you mean just "copy freely" recordings and not stuff flagged "copy once"? I'm guessing I would still have to use WMC to view any recordings from like HBO, Cinemax, etc....?

Initially, start here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions
then:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Filetypes_Supported
Look for the stuff on Video.

This is the board for TV:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=11.0
You might find useful info here or if not, it's a good place to ask a TV specific question.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 11:49:30 am »

A question on the hardware acceleration option under video settings. Should this usually be enabled under most circumstances or is it more for folks running lower end hardware? I have an I7-4770S and a GTX 780(porbably overkill I know, but really wasnt using it in my other pc). Should I have this enabled?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:55:31 am »

Correct.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 11:39:58 pm »

A question on the hardware acceleration option under video settings. Should this usually be enabled under most circumstances or is it more for folks running lower end hardware? I have an I7-4770S and a GTX 780(porbably overkill I know, but really wasnt using it in my other pc). Should I have this enabled?

Back to this. Ive noticed that if I have hardware acceleration enabled my cpu utilization is 9% and GPU hovers around 25%. With it unchecked CPU utilization is 3% and GPU utilization is around 15%. This was while playing a 1:1 MKV blu ray rip of Pacific Rim. ROHQ with jinc3 +AR. Either way my hardware isnt being taxed a whole lot. So does it matter whether I have hardware acceleration enabled or not. Is quality the same?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 11:52:09 pm »

In some cases they are the same, but CPU is decoding can be better with some material as the code is always being updated.
JRiver CEO Elect

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 12:03:31 am »

In some cases they are the same, but CPU is decoding can be better with some material as the code is always being updated.

So that means leaving hardware acceleration off or on? I guess what is confusing me is with it off both cpu and gpu utilization go down and with it enabled both go up.

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 05:25:25 pm »

Well I just played back two movies recorded from premium channels in MC. One from HBO and one from showtime. Played back fine. I'm guessing its on a movie by movie basis and how strict providers want to be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up