INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripped Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS CD Plays Static [Solved]  (Read 5966 times)

greynolds

• Citizen of the Universe
Ripped Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS CD Plays Static [Solved]
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:10:48 pm »

In my collection, I've got 2 DTS CD's, one titled "Digital Surround Collection" and the other being "Eagles Hell Freezes Over".  I ripped both to WAV files this morning.

All tracks on "Digital Surround Collection" play fine both on the analog outputs of the sound card of my office PC and on the HDMI output connected to my Denon surround sound processor.

With the Eagles album, track 7 "I Can't Tell You Why" plays fine, but all other tracks just play static hiss.  Taking a look at track 7 and any other track from the album in the Media Editor doesn't suggest that there's anything special about track 7.

This isn't super critical as I also have the regular CD version of this album, but it would be nice to get it to play properly.

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Ripped Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS CD Plays Static
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:37:24 pm »

I've no idea why one track is OK and the others not but my guess is that something went wrong with output bit depth during conversion: make sure it is set to 16 bit.

greynolds

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 01:47:35 pm »

I've no idea why one track is OK and the others not but my guess is that something went wrong with output bit depth during conversion: make sure it is set to 16 bit.
Thanks for the reply.  I just checked and they're all set to 16 bit and the sample rate is set to 44100 Hz on all of these tracks. What IS different is the bitrate.  Track 7 of the Hell Freezes Over album has a bitrate of 4233 while all the other tracks have a bitrate of 1411.  However, on the "Digital Surround Collection" album, all tracks have a bitrate of 1411...

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:56:14 pm »

In my collection, I've got 2 DTS CD's, one titled "Digital Surround Collection" and the other being "Eagles Hell Freezes Over".  I ripped both to WAV files this morning.

All tracks on "Digital Surround Collection" play fine both on the analog outputs of the sound card of my office PC and on the HDMI output connected to my Denon surround sound processor.

With the Eagles album, track 7 "I Can't Tell You Why" plays fine, but all other tracks just play static hiss.  Taking a look at track 7 and any other track from the album in the Media Editor doesn't suggest that there's anything special about track 7.

This isn't super critical as I also have the regular CD version of this album, but it would be nice to get it to play properly.

When you rip these - you will need a DTS decoder to playback properly - anywhere. So if you are hearing nothing but static - those tracks are DTS encoded but cannot be decoded properly.

Seems like only one track (7) got ripped correctly - since it plays back with no static. Or it somehow got ripped without the DTS encoding? And is playing back without it?

VP

greynolds

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:04:45 pm »

When you rip these - you will need a DTS decoder to playback properly - anywhere. So if you are hearing nothing but static - those tracks are DTS encoded but cannot be decoded properly.

Seems like only one track (7) got ripped correctly - since it plays back with no static. Or it somehow got ripped without the DTS encoding? And is playing back without it?

VP
My understanding is that J River MC provides the DTS decoder for these files at playback time, just as it does when playing DVD's with DTS audio, which is why the 1 track on this album and all tracks on the other DTS CD I have play just fine.  It's certainly possible that all tracks but the 1 didn't rip properly, but I checked the log after the rip and no errors were indicated.  I suppose I can try ripping the album again and see what happens.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:13 pm »

For the the files that aren't working, try changing the File Type tag to dts and see if they play correctly.

greynolds

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:20:31 pm »

For the the files that aren't working, try changing the File Type tag to dts and see if they play correctly.
Thanks for the idea.  After doing that, they play correctly, but the cover art no longer displays.  So I guess this means that the tracks ripped ok, but MC is having issues figuring out that they're DTS encoded if I just leave them as WAV files.  Progress at least :).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 02:38:07 pm »

Also out of interest try converting one to FLAC, and if that works it may be a better format to keep them in.
JRiver CEO Elect

greynolds

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

Also out of interest try converting one to FLAC, and if that works it may be a better format to keep them in.
I had initially tried ripping the "Digital Surround Collection" album to FLAC and just got static during playback.  So I did some searching on the forum and found recommendations to go with WAV which worked well for that album, but not so much for "Hell Freezes Over" other than track 7.  My normal CD's are being stored in the FLAC format for the obvious storage space and tagging benefits.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 02:55:06 pm »

I'm guessing you have DTS in WAV but there is a way of transcoding it to FLAC.  I'll see if I can find the post.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 02:57:15 pm »

Have a look at this older post (it was to convert to MP3 but it could be FLAC instead) - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81662.0

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 03:20:24 pm »

OK - Just did a test with the Eagles HFO DTS WAV file.  I imported it into MC.  I changed the "File Type" from WAV to DTS and checked they played fine (eg no static).  I then converted it to FLAC with no DSP settings at all (you can optionally downmix etc).  The result was a perfect FLAC 6-CH file.
JRiver CEO Elect

greynolds

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 04:58:04 pm »

OK - Just did a test with the Eagles HFO DTS WAV file.  I imported it into MC.  I changed the "File Type" from WAV to DTS and checked they played fine (eg no static).  I then converted it to FLAC with no DSP settings at all (you can optionally downmix etc).  The result was a perfect FLAC 6-CH file.
Gotcha, I missed CONVERTING to FLAC versus ripping to FLAC...  Yes, that seems to work.  So the conversion basically decodes the DTS codec, converting it to PCM, then encodes it into the FLAC format, so it should completely preserve the quality of the original but removing the need to worry about DTS decoding in the future.  I just converted the files and they seem to be working just fine.  Thanks for your help.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 07:20:25 pm »

Glad it has all worked out, and the path is DTS on the CD --> DTS in a WAV file (no conversion) --> FLAC (lossless conversion).  So all good.  Of course the original DTS is not a "lossless" codec in the first place!
JRiver CEO Elect

greynolds

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 08:11:01 pm »

Glad it has all worked out, and the path is DTS on the CD --> DTS in a WAV file (no conversion) --> FLAC (lossless conversion).  So all good.  Of course the original DTS is not a "lossless" codec in the first place!
Converting from DTS in WAV to FLAC requires decoding the DTS codec.  And yes, this form of DTS isn't losless, but my point was that converting it to FLAC doesn't introduce any further loss.  Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up