INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming to Smart TV  (Read 2907 times)

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
Streaming to Smart TV
« on: January 14, 2014, 06:59:40 pm »

I use MC 19 DLNA to stream to a PS Audio perfect wave DAC. I have been doing it for a long time am I am fairly proficient at it. I can use the JR volume control to adjust the output to the DAC. Recently I have been using JR to stream videos to a Samsung smart TV. It shows up on the network ok but I cannot get the MC volume control to work. It just sits at about 20% but does not make any volume changes when I move it. Anyone got any ideas how I can make it work?

thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Streaming to Smart TV
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 07:36:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure that, for Video being served over DLNA, you will need to control the Volume at the TV end.
JRiver CEO Elect

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:50:52 pm »

thanks jmone.. its no big deal really. :)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:06:31 am »

I'm pretty sure that, for Video being served over DLNA, you will need to control the Volume at the TV end.

Not true !!

DLNA Renderers are required to support the UPnP RenderingControl.SetVolume and RenderingControl.Mute actions. And MC also obviously supports these too.

If these are not working on your Samsung TV, then either that TV is non compliant to the UPnP / DLNA standard (not supporting the above mentioned actions), or alternatively there is a network problem or a bug somewhere...

EDIT:  as bob so often suggests, I would suggest downloading the UPnP Developer Tools "Device Spy" application and 1) checking if the TV does indeed expose SetVolume (and GetVolume) and Mute. And if it does does, then 2) try executing those actions to see how they impact the TV volume...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 05:15:49 am »

Interesting, maybe Bob or Hendrik can advise what combos support vol control from the MC Server end.
JRiver CEO Elect

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:04:00 pm »

Not true !!

DLNA Renderers are required to support the UPnP RenderingControl.SetVolume and RenderingControl.Mute actions. And MC also obviously supports these too.

If these are not working on your Samsung TV, then either that TV is non compliant to the UPnP / DLNA standard (not supporting the above mentioned actions), or alternatively there is a network problem or a bug somewhere...

EDIT:  as bob so often suggests, I would suggest downloading the UPnP Developer Tools "Device Spy" application and 1) checking if the TV does indeed expose SetVolume (and GetVolume) and Mute. And if it does does, then 2) try executing those actions to see how they impact the TV volume...

Thanks... upon further investigating I find I can make it work by changing the TVs speaker setting form external speaker to TV speaker. By doing this and using 3.5 audio out jack on the TV to my amp it seems I can have my cake and eat it too. Great stuff!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 02:52:56 am »

Thanks... upon further investigating I find I can make it work by changing the TVs speaker setting form external speaker to TV speaker. By doing this and using 3.5 audio out jack on the TV to my amp it seems I can have my cake and eat it too. Great stuff!

Aha. So you are saying that the digital audio output from the TV to the AVR did not have any DLNA volume adjustment applied to it, whereas the analog audio output does have the volume adjustments applied to it?

So is your AVR also connected to the TV via an HDMI cable? Because, if so you could try enabling HDMI CEC controls on both devices, and reverting to the digital audio output. It might be the case that the TV would then forward the DLNA volume commands onwards to the AVR by means of the HDMI CEC commands. (For example, this is what happens between my Sony TV and my Yamaha AVR).
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 06:19:50 pm »

Aha. So you are saying that the digital audio output from the TV to the AVR did not have any DLNA volume adjustment applied to it, whereas the analog audio output does have the volume adjustments applied to it?

So is your AVR also connected to the TV via an HDMI cable? Because, if so you could try enabling HDMI CEC controls on both devices, and reverting to the digital audio output. It might be the case that the TV would then forward the DLNA volume commands onwards to the AVR by means of the HDMI CEC commands. (For example, this is what happens between my Sony TV and my Yamaha AVR).

I'm not exactly sure. The tv has speaker settings  options of external, tv & receiver. The later is not alive. If I select external the audio goes to my Arcam Solo Mini. If I select tv speaker the JR volume control works. The tv speaker AND the external speakers both work in this configuration. I have 3.5mm to RCA from the back of the TV to the Arcam. I am a stereo fan. I personally don't see the point of more than 2.5 channels but that's just me.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:14 am »

I'm not exactly sure. The tv has speaker settings  options of external, tv & receiver. The later is not alive. If I select external the audio goes to my Arcam Solo Mini. If I select tv speaker the JR volume control works. The tv speaker AND the external speakers both work in this configuration. I have 3.5mm to RCA from the back of the TV to the Arcam. I am a stereo fan. I personally don't see the point of more than 2.5 channels but that's just me.

Do you have a digital audio back link from your TV to the receiver? This would be an SPDIF, TOSLINK or HDMI ARC (audio return channel) connection. If you did have that (perhaps you can borrow such a cable to test it), then it is possible that the DLNA volume controls might be active on this digital audio back link. The advantage of a digital audio back link is that you probably get better sound, since usually the DAC in the Receiver is better than the DAC in the Tv.

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:30:21 pm »

I use the Arcam Solo Mini as a two channel amp. I don't think I can make the "back link" you speak of work with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up