INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 19 & Mavericks (10.9) Playing Well Together Using a Wavelength DAC?  (Read 1352 times)

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck

Early in 19's life, I had problems with it crashing and not "seeing" my DAC unless I removed the mains power and then re-powered the DAC.  Because my DAC has no on/off switch, I was left with removing/reinstalling its AC plug which is not something that I'm fond of doing.  So, I went back to using MC 18.

My Mac mini is exclusively used for audio.  Not wanting to have problems in the audio room by being an early adopter, I haven't upgraded to Mavericks yet.  Using the latest version of MC 19, is there any reason to delay upgrading to Mavericks? 

I want to be sure that 19, my DAC, and Mavericks will "play" well together without incident.  Is anyone else successfully using a Wavelength DAC (mine is a Crimson), MC 19, JRemote/IPad and Mavericks?

rjkamsma

• Recent member
Re: MC 19 & Mavericks (10.9) Playing Well Together Using a Wavelength DAC?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »

Yes I think there is a reason to delay the upgrade to Mavericks. With Mavericks my higher resolution files (DSD and PCM 88-24 and up)play for a while (like 10 seconds and than halts for buffering. This doesn’t happen with Snow Leopard.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:06:28 pm »

We believe the stability problems with JRiver on Mavericks were fixed a few weeks ago.

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 05:23:43 pm »

I do have a sufficient amount of HD material and obviously would prefer not to have buffering or other stopage issues.  So between rjkamsma's response and JimH's advice, I'm still a little dubious about installing Mavericks.

BTW, my 2010 Mac mini has 8gigs of RAM, but a standard HD (no SSD) and I'm using an external Firewire internal hard drive dock with a 2TB HD as a music library interface. 

I wonder if Mac/Media Center settings or hardware changes would ameliorate the buffering/halting issues.  One also wonders how different DAC's affect the equation?  Hence, the reason why I was wondering whether folks with my hardware configuration were having issues, or running successfully?

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 01:34:19 pm »

Running a Mac Mini with 16Gbs memory - 2012 model. I run off a SSD boot drive, and all music comes from my NAS. No issues playing back either DSD or other high resolution files. MSB Analog DAC.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s
Pages: [1]   Go Up