INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are my L/R channel levels so low? [Solved]  (Read 1014 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Why are my L/R channel levels so low? [Solved]
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:28:55 am »

I have the following setup

windows 8.1 PC with JRiver 19 -> saffire mixcontrol -> firewire -> saffire pro 24 -> 5.1 line out -> Marantz AV7005 analogue in

I have configured mixcontrol to route DAW1-6 to line out 1-6 in the usual fashion (1->L, 2->R, 3->C, 4->SW, 5->SL, 6->SR), all channels are unmuted & set to the same level.

JRiver is set to upsample to 96kHz and output source no of channels to 5.1, volume levelling is on & room correction is used to move bass to the sub from each channel. Channel delays are set to the physical distances (+ extra for the DSP time in my sub amp).

I then use the test tones in JRiver to set channel levels, this shows that L and R are about -15dB down compared to C and SW and about -10dB down compared to SL/SR. Similar tones via the windows audio setup tones play back at normal levels. The usual setup (using AV processor test tones or REW) set channel trims within a few dB.

This seems odd so I'm wondering why the L and R are so quiet. After setting the trims everything sounds normal so I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, it just makes me suspicious of a lurking problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
Matt

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Why are my L/R channel levels so low?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:48:35 am »

That is puzzling.  The sub should be calibrated 10 DB louder than the other channels, but that doesn't explain your results. 

When you say you're playing test tones, do you mean the audio calibration test tones under the tools menu or the ones in the room correction DSP module?  If you haven't tried the audio calibration clips, try those and see if you get a different result.  When you're playing the test tones in JRiver, what does the audio path say? 

Just shooting from the hip, one suggestion might be to try turning off volume leveling and see if that affects it.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: Why are my L/R channel levels so low?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 05:31:48 pm »

I was using the test tones from the tools menu.

This one needs to be filed under user error though  :-[

It turns out the problem was not jriver specific which then led me to consider other settings & eventually I realised that it was a hardware problem. One of the pots on the saffire pro is for the monitor output and line out 1/2 is the otherwise known as the monitor output. Once I turned this one up to the max then all the channels are as expected again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up