INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVS forum user needs an "all channel stereo" mode over HDMI.  (Read 4823 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
AVS forum user needs an "all channel stereo" mode over HDMI.
« on: January 16, 2014, 01:28:25 pm »

Here is someone who has an issue with his existing setup that I think might be solvable with MC.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512256/stereo-to-all-channels#post_24220765

I know it's somewhat unorthadox to most purists, but I am curious if there exists an application that sends stereo 2ch audio to all channels. I'm currently running a GTX660 via HDMI to my SC-57 receiver. I understand that the receiver normally handles this via one of it's modes; however, the only mode I seem to be able to find that takes 2ch and sends it to all channels is Extended Stereo or whatever. The problem with this mode is that it doesn't seem to send the lows to my sub; even if all speakers are set to small and crossover is set higher. So back to my question, is there any application out there that handles such controls. This application would need to be a 3rd party application to other media applications, as I use Google Music for music, and VLC for video (considering XBMC for a consolidated source, but all in due time). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It would require duplicating the stereo channels to surround, rear surround and mixing them for the centre channel, while continuing to route bass to the sub.

Edit: Thanks to mwillems for the solution below!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: AVS forum user needs an "all channel stereo" mode over HDMI.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:31:21 pm »

I'd recommend discussion of the feature, and suggestions on how to achieve, it here. If you know for sure that you can do this currently in MC, please post this in the AVS forum (assuming you are a member). Thanks for reading.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:36:54 pm »

JRSS Multichannel expansion would probably do a nicer job, but I'm pretty sure you can do what he wants already in the DSP.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 02:17:33 pm »

JRSS Multichannel expansion would probably do a nicer job, but I'm pretty sure you can do what he wants already in the DSP.

I'm not an AVS member, but it seems like it could be done pretty easily in JRiver's DSP.  

For 5.1, the PEQ filters would look like:

1) Mix Channels --> Copy Left to SL
2) Mix Channels --> Copy Right to SR
3) Mix Channels --> Copy Left to Center
4) Mix Channels --> Add Right to Center
5) Adjust the Volume of the Center Channel -3dB [you could also do this by setting the gains to -3dB in both 3) and 4)]

Then in the Room Correction module, just do your bass routing as normal (you might need to fiddle with the sub volume a little bit though)

7.1 would be similar but with two added copy steps for RR and RL.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:31:32 pm »

I'm not an AVS member, but it seems like it could be done pretty easily in JRiver's DSP.  

For 5.1, the PEQ filters would look like:

1) Mix Channels --> Copy Left to SL
2) Mix Channels --> Copy Right to SR
3) Mix Channels --> Copy Left to Center
4) Mix Channels --> Add Right to Center
5) Adjust the Volume of the Center Channel -3dB [you could also do this by setting both gains to -3dB in both 3) and 4)]

Then in the Room Correction module, just do your bass routing as normal (you might need to fiddle with the sub volume a little bit though)

7.1 would be similar but with two added copy steps for RR and RL.

THANKS!!
Holy.... I never played with that aspect of the DSP before. That's so crazy and awesome. And I mean truly awesome. I always joke that I barely know 50% of the program, and I now think that was an overestimate!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:34:55 pm »

That's funny, I just wrote a couple of posts praising JRSS over Dolby IIx. I agree. But the guy wanted to use all channel stereo (which does sound great for music too, especially in parties), so that's what we're trying to solve for him.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:42:49 pm »

I use PEQ for all-channel-stereo as well to play some mild background music at times, first time i explored PEQ for that feature, it is truely powerful. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up